Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Macbook Pro Global Recall / Reimbursement

• 26-02-2015 2:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭

In case any MBP owner missed this big news - its kicking off in Ireland from tomorrow:

Apple will fix your older MacBook Pro's video problems for free

It happened to my machine (and thousands of others) a few months back, but at the time I was one of the very lucky ones, in that Apple agreed that they'd cover the parts (if I paid for the labour) - but I doubt everybody was this lucky, so this recall is GREAT for anybody who shelled out €400-€500 and is now due a reimbursement from Apple.

The Apple press release below explains how to do the recall / claim the money back.

MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

So can I get this done proactively , or do I need for the issue to rear its head ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Moved from Apple Devices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

@Mod: Why has this been moved? Its not an OS issue, its a device issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

eorpach wrote: »
    @Mod: Why has this been moved? Its not an OS issue, its a device issue.

It’s in the right place. The Mac forum covers Mac computers and software. Apple Devices is actually just for Apple mobile devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

horgan_p wrote: »
    So can I get this done proactively , or do I need for the issue to rear its head ?

I'd be interested in this too and I have seen glitches since Yosemite install and yesterday the display went very fuzzy and failed. A few more attempts to boot yesterday had partial success (50% of pixels didn't render correctly while apple logo was displayed then nothing and then crash).

This morning it has worked and I'm waiting to see if heat or something else will trigger it. Checking the logs all I could find was one,
    Feb 25 20:24:21 XyZ.local WindowServer[141]: Surface testing disallowed updates for 10 sequential attempts...

So now that it is working again it seems like a ticking time bomb unless they do pro-active replacements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

they have a test to verify the issue, you need to drop it into an authorised service provider like Compu b

Well the ticking time bomb for my own MBP blew up only hours after my previous posting. Nice to get it out of the way I suppose.

Brought it into Compu b on Sunday and just got it back this evening. Quite a good service from them. No messing about, no frills kind of service. No marks left behind, which is important when I go to the effort of keeping the laptop in mint condition.

They don't contact you if things are going well which is a bit off putting, but they do explain their process so you do get a sense that it'll be 4-5 days if things go well. They take 48 hours to get the diagnostics done and then contact Apple for approval to do the replacement under the program, get the parts in, and do the work. I called at lunchtime today looking for any info after my curiosity got the best of me (also the DTs were kicking in) and they said it was on the bench having a new board fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Aiden101

Dorsanty wrote: »
    Well the ticking time bomb for my own MBP blew up only hours after my previous posting. Nice to get it out of the way I suppose.

Brought it into Compu b on Sunday and just got it back this evening. Quite a good service from them. No messing about, no frills kind of service. No marks left behind, which is important when I go to the effort of keeping the laptop in mint condition.

They don't contact you if things are going well which is a bit off putting, but they do explain their process so you do get a sense that it'll be 4-5 days if things go well. They take 48 hours to get the diagnostics done and then contact Apple for approval to do the replacement under the program, get the parts in, and do the work. I called at lunchtime today looking for any info after my curiosity got the best of me (also the DTs were kicking in) and they said it was on the bench having a new board fitted.

So do they only replace a few parts or would they replace your entire macbook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 mocathain

they would replace the logic board

Aiden101 wrote: »
    So do they only replace a few parts or would they replace your entire macbook?

As mocathain stated, they replace the board. It is only the board of course so you'll have original fans, RAM memory, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement