Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reformatting Mac, white screen on restart, OS disc won't boot

Options
  • 23-02-2015 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am trying to restore my old Macbook back to what it was at time of purchase. It's the white Macbook purchased early 2011 and Leopard OS was the original software it came with and is on the restore discs.

I have the grey discs that go with it:
    Mac OS X Install discs 1 and 2
    Applications install DVD.

The problem I am having is that when I try restore, I click the disc through Finder and select the install OS, it tells me to restart and the process will commence. However all I get, anytime, is just a white screen then. Nothing more. It restarts as normal and all looks like it's going according to plan but the white screen remains and that's all.

I then have to power off to gain control of the Mac again.

I have tried the 'option' (alt) key too but when the disc comes up, I hit enter on that icon and the Mac completely freezes again. The C on startup doesn't seem to have any affect.

It's pretty frustrating. The CD drive is working fine otherwise and even picks up this disc in Finder. Has anyone had any experience dealing with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

I'd say the disc has gone faulty. is it scratched?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Thanks for the reply, that's the thing it doesn't appear to be scratched. I'm reluctant on a few things now.

I could purchase a separate Leopard CD, however if I get the same problem I'll be peeved.
    If I dban the Mac, will new software go on? Although I really doubt it's the DVD drive.

I'm thinking what I'm going to try next however is make a bootable OS on USB key, if it'll fit. I imagine it will.

Advertisement