Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cut files seem to be gone

Options
  • 18-02-2015 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

I am cleaning up an old Mac and going to sell, so I was moving all my 13.5 thousand or so images from iPhoto to a separate folder to upload. Decided to cut, as space on Mac low enough for that amount of duplication.

Went to paste in new folder and after a while a message came up saying 'cannot copy IMGxxx' not enough storage.

Fair enough. But it wasn't just one image, in fact no images were copied and the paste option is now gone. Images from my original folder are gone and just wondering if anyone has experience in this and could offer advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I don't have a mac anymore, but I sympathise with your pain !!

A quick google gave me this, I don't know will it help, it may ! I dont know is it freeware or what, chance are its not, most mac sw isnt

http://www.yodot.com/mac-file-recovery/cut-paste-files-mac.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Have you checked the Pictures Folder to see if your iPhoto Library file is still there ? This single file holds all your images in their original form and should in theory have remained intact.

If that file is still there then right-click it then Show Package Contents and you should see all your images still there. Unless of course that's where you took them from to begin with ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Since when does Finder have Cut?
    I thought it was Copy only?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I thought that too but then I figured he cut them from iPhoto itself. The iPhoto library file should still be there anyway.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Since when does Finder have Cut?
    I thought it was Copy only?
    CMD + C
    CMD + Option (Alt) + V

The difference occurs in the paste command.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Stuxnet wrote: »
    I don't have a mac anymore, but I sympathise with your pain !!

A quick google gave me this, I don't know will it help, it may ! I dont know is it freeware or what, chance are its not, most mac sw isnt

http://www.yodot.com/mac-file-recovery/cut-paste-files-mac.html

Thanks but reluctant to buy into these just yet as I've tried Stellar Phoenix Recovery and don't think it gets my problem really. Like my files aren't actually deleted or trashed.
    ZENER wrote: »
    Have you checked the Pictures Folder to see if your iPhoto Library file is still there ? This single file holds all your images in their original form and should in theory have remained intact.

If that file is still there then right-click it then Show Package Contents and you should see all your images still there. Unless of course that's where you took them from to begin with ?

Ken

I've just checked that there now and yes seems to 45gb!! Looks promising. Thank you!!

However when I follow your advice and Show Package Contents, nothing in the folder seems to be of any big size. Like 12mb being the largest.

Ok hold the fort, I've found a folder called 'Masters' seems like a huge chunk are in there. Blessing. Only prob it's allocated into a ton of different folders, still better than lost. looks like I have some work to do :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Rebuilding the iPhoto library might do the trick. But in case it doesn’t or even makes matters worse, make a backup of the Library file to an external hd first.

Rebuilding the iPhoto library might do the trick. But in case it doesn’t or even makes matters worse, make a backup of the Library file to an external hd first.

Thanks and yes definitely backing up first. Almost done in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Well how did you get on....**drum roll...**

**ba-dum dishhhhhhhh!!...**

I didn't go for the actual iPhoto rebuild.

My folders were labeled 2009 - 2015 and were relatively neatly labelled within. Obviously a fierce amount of junk and one offs in there. However all are backed up and stored now. As explained in PM to Zener I am very grateful!! :)

The Mac is reformatted finally and gone elsewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement