Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pentesting/Netsec jobs in Ireland?

• 04-02-2015 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6

First post on here; was just curious if there are many jobs for pentesting/netsec available around the country? If so what kind of qualifications would be required.

I'm a student currently with a good interest in netsec and quite a lot of experience and 'achievements' (Google, Microsoft etc security hall of fame several times).

Always been interested in learning more and doing it as a job later in life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

There are loads of jobs in pentesting in Dublin. Have you done any research yet?

All of the big 4 firms are looking for info sec professionals from graduate to experienced. Pentesting is one of the areas they are looking to fill.

There are also dedicated security shops out there (RITS, Liberty).

Experience is not an neccesity but academic qualifications are a must, typically masters level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Keyzer wrote: »

Experience is not an neccesity but academic qualifications are a must, typically masters level.

To be honest I would say the opposite is true. Academic qualifications are not a must, but demonstrable skills definitely are.

There are tons of jobs available, and the pool is very small. OP, let me know if you need some contacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Keyzer wrote: »
    syklops wrote: »
    To be honest I would say the opposite is true. Academic qualifications are not a must, but demonstrable skills definitely are.

There are tons of jobs available, and the pool is very small. OP, let me know if you need some contacts.

Somewhere in the middle is probably more true! If you are just applying to places then absolutely academic qualifications are a must at a graduate sort of level - cv's won't generally get past the HR review never mind interviews without required academics.

BUT

The community is great and see's through that BS - so if you get to know people no doubt there'll be opportunities when they aren't worried about some degree you have or your CV. Start going along to various meetups, OWASP for example have talks now and again that are very worthwhile to go along to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭pah

https://www.udemy.com/ethical-hacking-and-penetration-testing-kali-linux/?couponCode=dferxcfg+v45

This udemy course is free ATM. No certification but it's well structured and a good starting point for learning about Kali.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭industrialhorse

They removed that free course just a few days after I registered. I should have downloaded all the content before users start giving out about it:(

"The content for this course was removed in accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). If you purchased this course and would like either a full refund or equivalent Udemy credits, please contact SUPPORT@UDEMY.COM and include the following in your message:
    1) Your name and Udemy e-mail address
    2) The name of this course as it appears in your account
    3) The following phrase: "This course was removed in accordance with DMCA: Code EGYPTACAD23649
    Please note that if you enrolled into the course for free, we are unable to offer any accommodations, however there are many other free courses available that do not violate copyright laws and you can count on keeping. You can find those courses by simply doing a search on the Udemy homepage and filtering by "free". Thank you for your understanding. Udemy will continue to do everything we can to provide you with the best possible service.
    Sincerely,
    The Udemy Support Team"

• Advertisement

The company I work for is desperately looking for pen testers at the minute. If anyone is interested PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

Mine is also,Info Sec is a great area to be in currently.....One thing Im concerned about is the fact that the more people that get into it the less a demand created for professionals. Is there any indication of how sustainable this area is?

If things are to improve from a security point of view, it should be sustainable for some time to come yet. Not half enough of things are tested from a security point of view. Actually scratch that "not half". Sony got hacked multiple times. Did they hire a team of pen testers and hackers to find the flaws in their system and secure them? Not after the first two, three and four times anyway.

I'd like to think that SuperFish was the act of an over zealous Marketing division, not state sponsored espionage, but either way, its a shame no-one at Dixons or Currys thought, "lets get a quick pen test done on these new laptops we have bought in from China". If the west keeps buying electronics from China and other eastern countries, the west needs to start testing those products, not just for EU electrical standards, but for hidden code and backdoors.

Likewise, if you are buying hard drives from the US, someone needs to look for NSA backdoors as well. As technology grows into every crevice of our lives, the demand for security engineering and security testing will also grow and grow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

syklops wrote: »
    As technology grows into every crevice of our lives, the demand for security engineering and security testing will also grow and grow.
    I'd say that's the crux of it. At the moment connectivity in tech is still in a massive growth phase, especially with the fad of IoT expanding into some pretty ridiculous areas.

Security is still seen as a drag on resources in all of this. It'll be a long time yet before most companies (outside of boxticking compliance) proactively implement good security rather than reactively doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Blowfish wrote: »
    I'd say that's the crux of it. At the moment connectivity in tech is still in a massive growth phase, especially with the fad of IoT expanding into some pretty ridiculous areas.

Security is still seen as a drag on resources in all of this. It'll be a long time yet before most companies (outside of boxticking compliance) proactively implement good security rather than reactively doing it.

Depends on the sector really.

Banking and FS are good areas to be in regards info/cyber sec due to regulatory and compliance requirements. From experience, organisations take cyber a lot more seriously if their business depends on achieving or sustaining compliance. With a looming audit (and associated repercussions for failing said audit) on the horizon, cyber tends to pop up on the radar of Snr Management. I agree with the "box ticking" analogy but gap analysis can open the door to additional investment and follow on initiatives.

• Advertisement
Advertisement