Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accountancy - No Degree

Options
  • 01-05-2015 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

I have a buddy who is thinking of going down the accountancy route. He did a very good leaving cert (500 points +) but he did carpentry, qualified in it and toured around for the last 7-8 years.

He's 28 and has grown tired of the Industry. He is a very bright lad and he wants to get into accountancy.

I'm just looking for what advice to give him.

Do the Big 4 accept trainee's with no degree?
    He is open to do ACCA or ACA.
    Should he do a degree? (personally not too keen on this as it's 3-4 year course and then he has to do at least (3 to 3.5) years work experience before your a qualified accountant).

Any bit of advice or if you know of others in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

0028673 wrote: »
    I have a buddy who is thinking of going down the accountancy route. He did a very good leaving cert (500 points +) but he did carpentry, qualified in it and toured around for the last 7-8 years.

He's 28 and has grown tired of the Industry. He is a very bright lad and he wants to get into accountancy.

I'm just looking for what advice to give him.

1.Do the Big 4 accept trainee's with no degree?
    He is open to do ACCA or ACA.
    2.Should he do a degree? (personally not too keen on this as it's 3-4 year course and then he has to do at least years work experience before your qualified).

Any bit of advice or if you know of others in a similar situation would be greatly appreciated.

1. No
    2. Would he like to work for a big4? see 1

If he can start training under acca he could be qualified in 3yrs.
    College + big 4=6.5/7.5yrs total
    aca from scratch=4yrs? not sure since no degree

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

shuyin1 wrote: »
    1. No
    2. Would he like to work for a big4? see 1

If he can start training under acca he could be qualified in 3yrs.
    College + big 4=6.5/7.5yrs total
    aca from scratch=4yrs? not sure since no degree

Cheers for the reply..

Big 4 would be ideal but partly guessed that it would be very difficult with no degree.

Would a firm in practice take anyone on without a degree?

I feel the fact that he has never worked in an office will really go against him..

Personally I wouldn't be advising him to get a degree in accountancy... no good getting a degree for 3 years and when you start working only to find out that you hate it.

Ideally he would get a job that supported him for exams and to be gaining experience as he goes along..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

0028673 wrote: »
    then he has to do at least years work experience before your qualified).

For his degree?!?

For big 4 he'd need to have a degree (2.1 or 1.1) or a Masters (one year add on).

Technically he could enter a small CAI (ACA) practice with just his LC, but at his age I doubt it.

He could always study ACCA or CAI (ACA) through elevation and try for a starting role in industry.

Geniass wrote: »
    For his degree?!?

For big 4 he'd need to have a degree (2.1 or 1.1) or a Masters (one year add on).

Technically he could enter a small CAI (ACA) practice, but at his age I doubt it.

He could always study ACCA or CAI (ACA) through elevation and try for a starting role in industry.

I figured Big 4 would be very difficult but I still wanted to ask to be sure..

I work in Industry and went at the exams late in the day as well. I turned down a practice job basically cuz the money was better in Industry.

I feel the lack of a degree or and relevant experience in an office will be more a hindrance than he's age..

But I could be wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭adrianw

Just out of interest why would Big 4 be ideal - Because of the brand? People who train in smaller firms also manage to learn a few things about accountancy.

• Advertisement

adrianw wrote: »
    Just out of interest why would Big 4 be ideal - Because of the brand? People who train in smaller firms also manage to learn a few things about accountancy.

Exactly. In my imo it is a huge addition to have on your CV and makes it easier to further your career.

I certainly wasn't denigrating people's training in other firms.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭adrianw

i think the intake for 2015 for most of them is probably already full by now. So he'd probably be looking at September 2016 at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Whoisin thehouse

ACCA is probably a bit more flexible for somebody with his experience. He could continue to work and study in the evenings, if he completes the first 3 ACCA papers he will get a Certificate so at least he would have that in his back pocket if he decides it does not suit him. Some of the private colleges run ACCA on a Full Time basis which might be interest to him.

He is still very young at 28, about 40 years left of working so an investment now of 3 or 4 years is a wise consideration, with over 500 points in the leaving he should be well able for either ACCA or ACA.

He will be a very useful accountant to somebody in the construction industry in a few years .....

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

ACCA/ACA might be difficult without a degree. I know people who did the accounting technician exams (1-2 years) then got a job in a small practice and did the CPA exams (about 3 years). CPA isn't as renowned as the other qualifications but may be something to bear in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I done accounts technician myself then got accepted into the 3rd year of a degree and got a job as accounts payable. Have recently got a trainee role in practice and have started ACCA I got exempt from 7 out of 14.

If I was to do it again for the amount of money I spent it would of been better to just do Acca as I had to pay exam fees for my exemption so wasn't cheap but in saying that if I had of decided to stop I would still have a degree and be a accounts technician

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It's a shame if the big 4 have abandoned school leaver entry - there were 75 of us in my NCIR year but I guess that's showing my age in itself. It will be interesting to see if it becomes accessible again - the big 4 have started taking on school leavers again on an extended contract where, for certain firms, they complete the contract with both a degree and an ACA qualification.

• Company Representative Posts: 13 Verified rep Chartered Accountants Ireland: Careers Team

Hello all, I'm posting from Chartered Accountants Ireland Careers Team.

I just wanted to point out that the above mentioned "Elevation" route is now called the "Flexible Option" and allows students train in the same fashion as Elevation, ie outside of a training contract and with flexible exam options.

There is also a school leaver "direct" route with Accounting Technicians Ireland, which allows entry into the Chartered Accountancy programme. Students can complete Year 1 ATI exams and proceed to CAP 1, as long as they gain a Merit in the ATI exams. Students can also complete the 2nd year ATI exams, and start CAP 1 with three exemptions.

If anyone has any questions, please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭EveT

I did the Aca school leaver route In industry, pm me if you have any questions. Finished 2 years and like him I had 500+ points

Advertisement