Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help re: Stolen iphone 4s...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ironclaw wrote: »
    Just goes to show how useless the Gardai are. Thats not lack of evidence, thats laziness.

A stolen phone, a record of the numbers dialed and from the point of the potential thief, how could they possibly explain how they dialed that number on your phone, at that time? Provided you could get swore testimony from the ex girlfriend, I'd be confident you could secure a conviction.

MORE than enough evidence to execute a warrant.

What legal background do you have to make a statement like that?
    A warrant isn't easy to get issued. What if the guy just borrowed a fone for a quick call, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Does the free version do all this? I just downloaded it, its displaying the alert but the photo doesnt get sent to my email. :confused:

When you search it on cydia, three versions appear: Lite (free) Full (paid) and another that is in a different colour (cracked)

I'll leave the moral dilemma to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭guil

Blikes wrote: »
    When you search it on cydia, three versions appear: Lite (free) Full (paid) and another that is in a different colour (cracked)

I'll leave the moral dilemma to yourself.
    the last one won't appear unless certain repo's have being manually added to cydia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Compo82 wrote: »
    Left my iphone in a taxi on Sat night / sun morning. I tried ringing it just after I got out of the taxi and he had it turned off. Unfortunately, I didn't have track my iphone or the other apps mentioned here downloaded. Is there anything I can do? Or is it a lost cause? Still have 9 months left in my contract. :mad:

I'm afraid there's nothing much you can do. You may be able to get the cab's number from a CCTV if you can remember the route etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Compo82

naasrd wrote: »
    I'm afraid there's nothing much you can do. You may be able to get the cab's number from a CCTV if you can remember the route etc.

I got the taxi from outside the Bank of Ireland in Maynooth. There's probably CCTV there but I doubt the bank or the guards would be bothered getting the video. What does anyone think? I can remember the colour of the taxi but not the make. I didn't take any notice of it at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

guil wrote: »
    the last one won't appear unless certain repo's have being manually added to cydia

Which are? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Mellor wrote: »
    What legal background do you have to make a statement like that?
    A warrant isn't easy to get issued. What if the guy just borrowed a fone for a quick call, for example.

I don't have a legal background, the opinion is my own. I work on a hobby level in computer forensics.

But if you look at the chain:

1) Phone stolen and reported by user. Assuming its legit because a false statement would be a greater offense.
    2) Numerous calls made on the account after the time of theft, and not by the owner and not to numbers known by the owner.
    3) Location found and the identity of the caller through the testimony of another party. Assuming this could be sworn, you have yourself good ground for a case.

Either way its possession of stolen property if found at the location which although mightn't secure a conviction for theft, at least the phone might be returned and these thugs realise that tracking is possible. And even on the most basic level it shows the Gardai are willing to act.

If you can't secure a warrant for a search on the premise above then this country is utterly FUBAR'd.

Its like someone stealing your car, parking it in their drive under a big cover, and then some neighbor there tell you where it is. The Gardai are basically saying "Sorry, we can't lift the cover to check" Obviously financially there is a difference between a phone and a car, but either way the Gardai don't get a reward for finding a car VS a phone. In fact either way its basic detective work. They just obviously can't fob off a car owner as it costs more than a phone, but in the eyes of the law, its equally theft. The same offense.

Its pure and utter laziness on behalf of the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

guil wrote: »

Ah, my bad! got the phone off my brother and cydia was on it already

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

No discussion of app pirating please.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ironclaw wrote: »
    I don't have a legal background, the opinion is my own. I work on a hobby level in computer forensics.

But if you look at the chain:

1) Phone stolen and reported by user. Assuming its legit because a false statement would be a greater offense.
    2) Numerous calls made on the account after the time of theft, and not by the owner and not to numbers known by the owner.
    3) Location found and the identity of the caller through the testimony of another party. Assuming this could be sworn, you have yourself good ground for a case.

Either way its possession of stolen property if found at the location which although mightn't secure a conviction for theft, at least the phone might be returned and these thugs realise that tracking is possible. And even on the most basic level it shows the Gardai are willing to act.

If you can't secure a warrant for a search on the premise above then this country is utterly FUBAR'd.

Its pure and utter laziness on behalf of the Gardai.

I don't disagee that the guy most likely stole the phone and rang the ex. But I'm talking purely about a warrant.
    It's not easy to get premission from a Judge to search somebodys home. The word of a random person and the guys ex isn't exactly concrete (they weren't swore statements either). But more importantly, i'm not even sure if a phone is enough to secure a warrant.
    Like I said, I don't disagree that the guy has it, I'm just sayign that judges don't hand out warrants that easily.

The stolen car comment is ridiculous so i'll ignore it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

My iPhone was stolen a few months ago and the fact of the matter is I'd bet my new one that within an hour of it being taken of had passed through about 5 people for either gear or money, turning the trail cold. They aren't going to keep something like that on them for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

My iPhone was stolen a few months ago and the fact of the matter is I'd bet my new one that within an hour of it being taken of had passed through about 5 people for either gear or money, turning the trail cold. They aren't going to keep something like that on them for long.

You can bet all you want, it doesn't mean it's true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

my samsung android phone was stolen jus last weekend in Dublin, im from Kilkenny. Any ideas for me on how to get my phone back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I had a couple of iphone's stolen last year. About 2 minutes after they were stolen both phones had rang a certain number which was rung a further 8 0r 9 times within 5 minutes. Somehow they had diverted my voice mail to this number.

It was fairly obvious the same gang was involved but the Guards said to me that to trace the number it had to be done by their phone and computer taskforce but they doubt anything would happen.

I even did some snooping myself and found out that the number they had rang was a skype number. I even told this to the guards and they were surprised as nobody had bothered tracing this number.

Sadly as we are mere nobodies nothing will ever be done to even look for our phones. From what happened to me it was fairly obvious that if they had bothered tracing this skype number they would have caught a gang stealing many iphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

point simply is the guards are a disgrace fcuking disgrace so useless so lazy in fact Ireland will be better off without them.

I got scammed on adverts when i wanted to buy an iPhone about 8 - 9 months ago. I reported this and till today not a bloody update from the guards.

They dont care, and will not do ****. a waste of tax payers money that's what they are. one of most corrupt association here IMO.
    If you loose your ipone, I'm sorry its gone 99.4% is you won't get it back only if a honest person finds it, if stolen its 110% not a chance, dont even dream about it as you're given yourself false hope.

To those of you that have iPhone's never show it off especially in town, there has been an increase in dirt smelly nakkers grabbing and running off with iPhone's and selling them for cash.

They already have a buyer before its stolen so its sol;d within 30min of it being stolen.

town is the lurking place for these low life ***** you've been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

point simply is the guards are a disgrace fcuking disgrace so useless so lazy in fact Ireland will be better off without them.

I got scammed on adverts when i wanted to buy an iPhone about 8 - 9 months ago. I reported this and till today not a bloody update from the guards.

They dont care, and will not do ****. a waste of tax payers money that's what they are. one of most corrupt association here IMO.
    If you loose your ipone, I'm sorry its gone 99.4% is you won't get it back only if a honest person finds it, if stolen its 110% not a chance, dont even dream about it as you're given yourself false hope.

To those of you that have iPhone's never show it off especially in town, there has been an increase in dirt smelly nakkers grabbing and running off with iPhone's and selling them for cash.

They already have a buyer before its stolen so its sol;d within 30min of it being stolen.

town is the lurking place for these low life ***** you've been warned.
    Man you have to get outside this country (and learn how to spell) if you think the gardai here are corrupt. I have lived in Brazil Spain Venezuela and many other countries. The guards here are far from perfect but at least they do not charge you for the paper to make a statement on (Brazil). Believe it or not theft of an iphone would be not near top on the list of priorities for any police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Noob. it's more of typing error not grammatical error. Why don't you fix my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Well I reported my stolen phone with minutes, got a call recently to say that the CCTV footage was found and the guy identified and arrested. Everything was followed up on as much as they can, so I was pretty pleased. I don't expect to get my phone back but I am pleased that the Garda I was dealing with did a fantastic job, kept me informed of updates and let me know stuff as soon as she did. Don't tar all Gardai with the same brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

im not sure if it will work with the blocked imei BUT i just logged into icloud there now and found my iphones location, it gave my exact location,right down to our own house. so you will at least get the address of the thief (if icloud works).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Snoopster wrote: »
    if I have the sim and IMEI cancelled doesn't that mean no messages can come up because they won't be able to use it?

It means they cannot use it in the Republic of Ireland, right? So they probably sell it to someone who can use it in Northern Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 dusterd

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't disagee that the guy most likely stole the phone and rang the ex. But I'm talking purely about a warrant.
    It's not easy to get premission from a Judge to search somebodys home. The word of a random person and the guys ex isn't exactly concrete (they weren't swore statements either). But more importantly, i'm not even sure if a phone is enough to secure a warrant.
    Like I said, I don't disagree that the guy has it, I'm just sayign that judges don't hand out warrants that easily.

The stolen car comment is ridiculous so i'll ignore it.
    Judges don't have to sign warrants anymore. I know of a case where a guy had his house searched and the local Post mistress signed the warrant. I'm not sure of her correct title in the eyes of the law, peace commissioner or something like that. Obviously it was for a more serious matter than a stolen phone. Then again, maybe the law only covers the trade he was in and not for other matters.

Advertisement