Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

I think the source code is on the website but I don't know how you upload amendments to the server. Presumably you'd need Sam's password. Best of luck. If you figure it out would you like to have a go at fixing the O2 script - which stopped working when Three took them over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I think the source code is on the website but I don't know how you upload amendments to the server. Presumably you'd need Sam's password. Best of luck. If you figure it out would you like to have a go at fixing the O2 script - which stopped working when Three took them over?

It also doesn't work when sending to a international number on Vodafone. Works fine for Irish numbers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Anyone else having hassle with Swift SMS on O2 on Three? Was working fine for me until yesterday, similar to mikeb above with the question mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Frog Song wrote: »
    Anyone else having hassle with Swift SMS on O2 on Three? Was working fine for me until yesterday, similar to mikeb above with the question mark.

Try settings/ 'connection method' then select 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mikebl71

I think the source code is on the website ...

If you mean cabbagetexter.com / "Source code" then the php scripts there are ancient (from 2012), not the latest version at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Is cabbage gone from the play store?
    I can't find it after resetting the phone to default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Yeah its not on the play store. Does anyone know where to download the APK?

choons wrote: »
    Yeah its not on the play store. Does anyone know where to download the APK?

Even the website sends you to a blank download now.
    Pity, one of the most useful apps I have!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

Great App.

Best texting app out there in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Knock Off Nigel

Anyone using this with meteor is it still working for them? It won't accept my password pin number

Its saying invalid response expected a numerical value

• Advertisement

Anyone using this with meteor is it still working for them? It won't accept my password pin number

Its saying invalid response expected a numerical value

Same here, same with most of my friends.
    I have to use the smelly meteor app now.

Think it's because you have log in with email and password now, great app while it lasted I'm using Irish Web text app now

Think it's because you have log in with email and password now, great app while it lasted I'm using Irish Web text app now

How do you find that?
    Better than the meteor one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

trying that irish web text now because my cabbage now wont work (that numerical message) - but it dont look like the irish web text app does not have a schedule feature to send a text at a later time/date - which is a shame im gonna miss that feature that was in cabbage :(

Ive got that 'numerical expected' message on the android app on my phone for meteor but dont get it on the windows desktop version v.1.99.1 - that still seems to be working fine.

Be handy if you could get that version apk

Update: - the android mobile version seems to be back working for me. For a while it said "numerical expected" but now it works just as before and sends fine now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Update: - the android mobile version seems to be back working for me. For a while it said "numerical expected" but now it works just as before and sends fine now

Is it working for international texts? Thanks

jgbyr wrote: »
    Is it working for international texts? Thanks

sorry not sure, I dont send any international texts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Will Cabbage, Swift or some other app allow me to send webtexts from one phone number but make it look like it's coming from another number? Don't worry, I'm not up to anything fishy!
    I have Postfone for work because I don't need anything fancy and it's fine ... except it doesn't have any webtext option.
    I have emobile (Eircom) for personal use and was wondering if I could use that webtext allowance to send texts to my customers but make it look as if it's coming from the postfone number so that replies would go to the postfone (which I leave at work, so that I'm not getting calls at all hours).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

Will Cabbage, Swift or some other app allow me to send webtexts from one phone number but make it look like it's coming from another number? Don't worry, I'm not up to anything fishy!
    I have Postfone for work because I don't need anything fancy and it's fine ... except it doesn't have any webtext option.
    I have emobile (Eircom) for personal use and was wondering if I could use that webtext allowance to send texts to my customers but make it look as if it's coming from the postfone number so that replies would go to the postfone (which I leave at work, so that I'm not getting calls at all hours).

If Postfone don't have Webtext, then you won't be able to send them from anywhere else. You could pay for a commercial text service or Skype - but then they wouldn't be free. Why not change your workphone to eMobile or Meteor? There are plenty of plans equal or less than the €20 deals available from Postfone.

Postfone lets me top up by as little as I like (literally from 1 cent upwards) so it generally only costs me €5-€10 per month. Plus no contract. Haven't seen any other plans like that.

Anyway of downloading the android cabbage app?

Adrian4 wrote: »
    Anyway of downloading the android cabbage app?

you can get it still on the all-in-one downloader app:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6h0rlwfj524nuw/com.cabbagetexter.android.cabbage.downloader.apk?dl=0

.... I have Postfone for work because I don't need anything fancy and it's fine ... except it doesn't have any webtext option.

Ig I have this correct I think you can put a Vodafone SIM into a PostMobile phone and it should work ..... so in that respect would you not be able to use Vodafone webtext?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66039892

Ig I have this correct I think you can put a Vodafone SIM into a PostMobile phone and it should work ..... so in that respect would you not be able to use Vodafone webtext?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66039892

But then I'd have to buy a Vodafone SIM, and a quick look on their website shows these at €20 per month. Not being miserly (well, maybe a bit) but I'm already paying for a landline and broadband at work, and a mobile for personal use, so that's why I wanted something cheap cost-effective for a work mobile, ideally just to receive texts from customers, with me sending webtexts. Obviously I'm also looking at Viber and FB messaging, but texts are still preferable for most people.

But then I'd have to buy a Vodafone SIM, and a quick look on their website shows these at €20 per month. Not being miserly (well, maybe a bit) but I'm already paying for a landline and broadband at work, and a mobile for personal use, so that's why I wanted something cheap cost-effective for a work mobile, ideally just to receive texts from customers, with me sending webtexts. Obviously I'm also looking at Viber and FB messaging, but texts are still preferable for most people.

Meteor dont require any credit to receive calls or texts. You only neef to top up by about €5 about once per year to avoid losing your account and free webtext. If you use a cheap Android phone you could leave it permanently in a WiFi area and use a text forwarding app to route all incoming texts to your email. Use Meteor Webtext or app for outgoing texts from any other PC, tablet or phone.

bugfreebob wrote: »
    Meteor dont require any credit to receive calls or texts. You only neef to top up by about €5 about once per year to avoid losing your account and free webtext. If you use a cheap Android phone you could leave it permanently in a WiFi area and use a text forwarding app to route all incoming texts to your email. Use Meteor Webtext or app for outgoing texts from any other PC, tablet or phone.

That sounds like what I need, thanks.
    :)

Well what I swas getting at really but I didnt explain it very well is, dont buy a new vodafone sim, using your existing an post mobile sim go to the vodafone website and put in your phone number of your postfone sim mobile number and see if you can register for webtext that way? - might be worth a try?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

With Meteor, five months after your last top-up, you can no longer call/text/use data and six months after your last top-up you can no longer receive calls or texts either.

Three is better in this regard - all you need is to make one chargeable use every six months to keep a PAYG SIM active. No need to top-up as long as you're still in credit.

Quackster wrote: »
    With Meteor, five months after your last top-up, you can no longer call/text/use data and six months after your last top-up you can no longer receive calls or texts either.

Three is better in this regard - all you need is to make one chargeable use every six months to keep a PAYG SIM active. No need to top-up as long as you're still in credit.

The policy you refer to was implemented on old O2 prepay. If you still have a Three account running on the old O2 network you can probably still avail of these terms. However, all new SIMs are issued on Three's own network - to the best of my knowledge they do not operate this policy. However, I haven't tried it myself - if you can cite a reference to this in their T&Cs, I will stand to be corrected. Furthermore, you would want to be crazy to depend on the Three network for a business service in Three's current state of meltdown since the merger. Three reps on the talk-to-three forum admit that it is going to take at least 2 years to build out the Three network at the old O2 base-station sites. In the meantime, their service is going to remain flaky. Many users are also reporting a lot of problems with Webtext on Talk-to-Three.

The policy you refer to was implemented on old O2 prepay. If you still have a Three account running on the old O2 network you can probably still avail of these terms. However, all new SIMs are issued on Three's own network - to the best of my knowledge they do not operate this policy. However, I haven't tried it myself - if you can cite a reference to this in their T&Cs, I will stand to be corrected. Furthermore, you would want to be crazy to depend on the Three network for a business service in Three's current state of meltdown since the merger. Three reps on the talk-to-three forum admit that it is going to take at least 2 years to build out the Three network at the old O2 base-station sites. In the meantime, their service is going to remain flaky. Many users are also reporting a lot of problems with Webtext on Talk-to-Three.

If you have a Three PAYG SIM and you log in to My3, at the bottom of the 'My account balance' page you will find the following text:

If you make at least one chargeable call every six months, you will keep your top-up credit active and prevent it from expiring. If you don't do this, your cash credit will expire after six months of non-use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Quackster wrote: »
    If you have a Three PAYG SIM and you log in to My3, at the bottom of the 'My account balance' page you will find the following text:

If you make at least one chargeable call every six months, you will keep your top-up credit active and prevent it from expiring. If you don't do this, your cash credit will expire after six months of non-use.

Do you know how long without top-up before you lose your existing credit with Meteor?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

... Furthermore, you would want to be crazy to depend on the Three network for a business service in Three's current state of meltdown since the merger. Three reps on the talk-to-three forum admit that it is going to take at least 2 years to build out the Three network at the old O2 base-station sites. In the meantime, their service is going to remain flaky. Many users are also reporting a lot of problems with Webtext on Talk-to-Three.

That's why I left Three! Was very happily with O2 since 2006 and within a few weeks of the takeover I'd been cut off, reconnected, cut off again and royally messed about by the appalling "customer care" (hah!) to the extent I took the hump and switched phone providers. I also want to cancel their mobile broadband, once I decide which phone I'm sticking with so I can tether, and there's also the money card to to say goodbye to!

Well what I swas getting at really but I didnt explain it very well is, dont buy a new vodafone sim, using your existing an post mobile sim go to the vodafone website and put in your phone number of your postfone sim mobile number and see if you can register for webtext that way? - might be worth a try?

Just tried that and didn't work.
    Thanks for the suggestion, though!
    :)

• Advertisement

Do you know how long without top-up before you lose your existing credit with Meteor?

240 days.

I asked in a Meteor shop this morning and was told 6 months.

I asked in a Meteor shop this morning and was told 6 months.

You're cut off and can't receive calls/texts after six months but your credit remains intact should you top up within 240 days. You loose your credit after 240 days but your SIM remains active. Your SIM is deactivated and account deleted after 13 months.

BTW, it's the same with Vodafone. You loose your credit after 240 days. However you're able to call/text for 180 days and receive calls/texts for 240 days too (roughly one & two months longer than with Meteor).

Having asked in Carphone Warehouse, it seems like Vodafone is the best option for me so that's who I've decide to go with. Thanks for all the input, everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

:( Poke! :(

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

:( Poke! :(

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Anyone having cabbage issues with vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Anyone having cabbage issues with vodafone?

I haven't been able to use Cabbage with Vodafone for a few years now. Is your problem a recent one? I use Jelly SMS which works but you have to insert the Captcha every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Yes, been using cabbage with vodafone up to a week or so ago.

Was with captcha which only had to be entered the odd few times.

Heard the developer is busy at other stuff and not supporting it much any more which is a pity because it was a cracking little app.

I have all the others which are working but none as user friendly as cabbage.

I have all the others which are working but none as user friendly as cabbage.

I have to agree - none of the other webtext apps beat Cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Was working well until eircom changed to eir.... any workarounds anyone?

Poke!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Poke!

Don't you mean 'bump'. ;)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

I think cabbage has breathed its last breath? This thread should probably be closed!
    I think it was only working on 02 and once that moved to Three it stopped, unless it's still working for anyone?

Worztron wrote: »
    Don't you mean 'bump'. ;)

Nope ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement