Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pep Guardiola to leave Barcelona

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,973 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I know that Pep always said that he wasn't too fussed on football management, and that he always signed 1yr contracts so he could quit and take a break, but does anyone else think this is a case of huffing cos they lost 2 big games in a week and Pep is throwing the rattle out of the pram?

If he had beat Madrid in El Clasico and went on to win La Liga, and beat Chelsea and then won the CL Final, perhaps he might just not have made this decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Theres only 1 man to sort out that dodgy barca defense and bring a crazy new style of winning football to Spain

That man is......roberto di matteo! ;)

Play Messi at left back, its the way forward!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

It's official.

I wish him the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Here's Guardiola: "This is not a simple decision for me. I hope people understand. I'm sorry for the confusion of the past few weeks. It was a mistake. People were telling me to make the announcement earlier. I've always wanted short contracts because the demand from Barcelona is so great. Four years is an eternity for a coach. In autumn I announced to the chairman that iw as seeing the end of my era at Barcelona. Obviously we couldn't say that to the players publicly. Now we're out of the two main competitions it is a good time to announce it. I had to announce it today to end the confusion. The new coach will give things that I am unable to give any more. It would have been a bad idea to continue."
    More Guardiola: "I'm satisfied with the results and the way that I've done it. I want to thank my players . It has been a privilege to train them. Day by fay they made it all possible and it's been such a huge privilege. I'm going to go and recover .. I don't feel like a Barcelona coach ought to feel. I'm going with the understanding that I've done my duty. This club is an unstoppable force. The one that will replace me will take this club on and do it marvellously. I don't know what else to say so I'll just shut up." another round of applause rings out. Many of the players Guardiola has coached are sitting in the press conference and look distraught, by all accounts.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/apr/27/football-live-blog-27-april

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Lol that was quick. Villanova in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

He seems like a classy fella. Too good for the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

End of an era for Barca. An era I feel privileged to have witnessed.

What an immeasurably classy individual Guardiola is.

Hope he enjoys his sabbatical & we see him back in the game sooner rather than later.
    rarnes1 wrote: »

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Yeah he really comes across as a gentleman. He should go and take a well-earned break, and given the appointment of Vilanova I wouldn't be at all surprised if he'll still help out a little bit, even if it's over the phone.

People always say how Mourinho installs a mentality of incredible loyalty in his players. Looking at the faces on the Barca players at the press conference, the same must be said for Guardiola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

rarnes1 wrote: »

Lol, ''too good'' for the premiership?

Elitist BS, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,734 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

For both achievements and classiness nobody comes close tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Tito Vilanova takes over for next season,Barcelona appointing from within the club again,shouldnt really change much re style of play.

Pep said his era at Barca is over,but I wouldnt be surprised if he returns from his year off and takes over Barca again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Pep said his era at Barca is over,but I wouldnt be surprised if he returns from his year off and takes over Barca again

I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be only the first of 4 or 5 spells as coach of Barcelona, and that he will still be doing stints in charge in his 60s.
    I'd expect he'll always be close to the top of the list when they are 'between managers'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Before I say this, I don't mean to sound like a Wind up Merchant, but I think its a bit rich to be leaving now, he has had it easy, but now their is a challenge and things at the club don't seem to be going as smoothly as they were for a long time and now he is running away? That's the way I seen it anyway. The going gets tough and he runs off.

Very unfair comment. He made the decision to leave well before recent results even happened, but kept it quiet so as not to upset things. He's allowed to have a life outside football you know.

He seems like quite a deep sort of guy who might have been consumed by the job, maybe to the detriment of his home life (he has 3 young kids). As a wealthy man he has the luxury of taking some time out and is perfectly entitled to do so. I'm sure the job will be there for him again some time in the future if he wants it, or if not the actual managers job then something upstairs, like director of football or some such. He's a club legend who will always have a job at Barca if he wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Undoubtedly great manager, no question.

But immeasurably helped by having players like Xavi, Inniesta, Messi and co. in the squad.

Very hard pressed for him to find such quality anywhere else he would go, including England. Would he fancy playing against the likes of Stoke, Sunderland or Bolton, week in week out?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Sid Lowe..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/apr/27/barcelona-pep-guardiola

A particularly sad excerpt..
    There was something a little sad about the scene last week. Asked about the meetings between Real Madrid and Barcelona, Guardiola seemed to have forgotten about some of the moments that defined his spell on the Barcelona bench, about the 6-2 and the 5-0, about reaching the Champions League final and claiming the Spanish Super Cup, about some of Leo Messi's most marvellous moments and his own tactical innovations, such as winning at the Bernabéu with three at the back. Instead, he said: "I don't have good memories of them." And when that happens it is time to walk away.

That 2-6 (the rabble that he inherited had been hammered 4-1 the season before) and 5-0 will likely not be repeated in style or substance again. Sad to see him not reflect well on them yet. Hopefully in time and thanks to this break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'd imagine a plethora of prospect managers will be pissed at the news of the announcement of such a quick replacement.
    (Just when they might have got their hopes up:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

jmayo wrote: »
    I think the real pressure on ferguson was before he won the FA Cup and Cup winners Cup.
    If he hadn't managed to get past Oldham that year he was gone and there might never have been all those titles.
    After that he was winning something nearly every year nad the real pressure was off.
    The pressure in big clubs in Spain has always been huge.
    Hell if you win leaugues/ European titles you even get fired.
    See Del Bosque or Bobby Robson.

I heard someone say on the radio last night that the real pressure comes when you start winning things. Then you are expected to win everything within sight. I'd agree with it to a certain extent. The pressure definitely wasn't off him.

Fergie was more comfortable than most in that he knew the club were never going to sack him. The pressure would have come from his desire to always be the best. He fought off competition from Arsenal, Chelsea and he's currently struggling against a brilliant City side. It's freakish that he has managed to stay so motivated after so long with the same club. It's something that will probably never be repeated.

As for the Del Bosque sacking, that was the craziest thing I've seen. I don't think Madrid should be taken seriously in that sense.

Who is this Vilanova chap? All I know about him is that he was the guy that Mourinho gouged in the eye last year. Should make for an interesting El Clasico if Jose is still around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Press conference with English translation.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

gl9xhcur.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its been clear for the last two years, and PaullyD posted an article from 2010, that he was always going to take a break. Good luck to him and I hope he comes back to the game because what he achieved with Barca was truly amazing.

Luis Enrique obviously would be a big favourite for the job. I'd expect that Rosell will appoint from within/former coach. I don't know if Tito Vilanova would be interested but he'd be one of the favourites imo if he is. Either him or Enrique is who I'd fancy to get it.
    :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

i will never on any level understand why people hate on this manager/players/team or combination thereof. i look back on the last 4 years as the best football ive ever seen.class club,class players,class acts,great attitudes.

ist been a pleasure pep.thanks for the memories

he'll be back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Warper wrote: »
    Bielsa prefers a big lump of a CF, something that Barca dont have. He is too crazy for a club of Barca's stature. His Argie team in 2002 prob. gave the worst performances of any Argie team in WC history. The last thing Barca need is a Bielsa managing them.

Llorente is not a lump. Argentina had a fantastic qualifying campaign under Biesla.
    I'm not sure why you would think that the Barca players are fitter than Bilbao's. What is this based on? I would have thought that the fitness levels would be pretty similar. If it is because of the pressing game, surely Bielsa would have his players training fitness-wise with a view to playing this kind of game.

You are right, but the pressing game they play was new for this season, whereas Barca have been doing it year in year out. if Biesla's there for a few more years, Bilbao will not reside in a lower echelon any longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,484 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Barca Legend (not too mention hot as hell :p) he will be missed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

G.K. wrote: »
    You are right, but the pressing game they play was new for this season, whereas Barca have been doing it year in year out. if Biesla's there for a few more years, Bilbao will not reside in a lower echelon any longer.

Hmm, maybe the pressing game does necessitate better fitness but I've always thought that once you get to the top level, the difference in fitness levels is negligible. Some discrepancies between individuals but on a team by team basis, I can't imagine that Barca are fitter than Atletico, Athletic, Real etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmmm Rodolfo Borrell, Jose Segura + Pep Guardiola could it happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Hmm, maybe the pressing game does necessitate better fitness but I've always thought that once you get to the top level, the difference in fitness levels is negligible. Some discrepancies between individuals but on a team by team basis, I can't imagine that Barca are fitter than Atletico, Athletic, Real etc.

I'd imagine the difference would be more a mental thing. The likes of Messi and Xavi would definitely have better concentration levels at the end of a 90 minute game than some of the Bilbao players. I'm certain that's what sets them apart. Once the legs go you still have to be able to think sharply and see a pass or anticipate a run from an opposition player.

This wasn't evident during the week but over the course of a season I'm pretty sure that'd be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

dfx- wrote: »
    Sid Lowe..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/apr/27/barcelona-pep-guardiola

A particularly sad excerpt..

That 2-6 (the rabble that he inherited had been hammered 4-1 the season before) and 5-0 will likely not be repeated in style or substance again. Sad to see him not reflect well on them yet. Hopefully in time and thanks to this break.

He seems to be a very withdrawn, slightly depressive character, judging by his press conferences over the years. Like he is harsh on himself more than others. Maybe I am wrong, though.

A very, very hard act to follow at Barcelona, there is no doubt there.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

He seems to be a very withdrawn, slightly depressive character, judging by his press conferences over the years. Like he is harsh on himself more than others. Maybe I am wrong, though.

A very, very hard act to follow at Barcelona, there is no doubt there.

Thing is, I couldn't disagree more with this. And that, I suppose, just goes to show how much pressure the job entailed if you got that impression.

We think it's the best job in the world. A dream job. But you don't know til you're there.

Saying that, I'd still give it a go though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Hopefully he doesn't end up at some **** team like Liverpool or Chelsea and get sacked after two games because results don't go his way. He would probably be better off staying in Spain where he understands the game.

It would be interesting to see how good he really is by managing a different style of team though.

Advertisement