Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FlightRadar24 Map Updates

Options
  • 30-04-2015 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to an example or give details on how FlightRadar24 implement Google maps with the mass update of the planes locations every x seconds.

I would suspect it's routed with AJAX or are the updates for a planes location pushed to the map once an update is received or are they just using AJAX to refresh all x,000's of positions every x seconds (map refresh every x seconds)?

They seem to handle the large amount of updates quite easily.

Thanks for any help/guidance on this as I've been unable to find anything on their site or forums about it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Talisman

It's a client-server architecture where the client (your browser) tells the server what area of the map you are looking at. The server uses the provided information to query the database and returns the data the client needs. The client then uses the data to redraw the pins on the map. The client does most of the work, the server just responds to queries the results of which can be cached for a time to avoid overloading the database.

Advertisement