Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to St Vincent's Hospital, Elm Park for 7am

Options
  • 13-03-2014 3:07pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I need to get to St Vincent's Hospital for 7am from Rathfarnham. I've checked the National Journey Planner and it says I'd need to get the bus the night before to be there. The 17 doesn't start until 7am. How could I get there? Or could someone point out some nearby parking that I could use. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Your only public transport option from Rathfarnham that will get you there that early would be to walk to either Templeogue or Terenure and catch the 06:00 15 (should be in Terenure around 0610-0615) which would get you in town around 06:30, and then take either a 4 or 7 from Nassau Street.

Otherwise, car or taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,423 ✭✭✭✭Alun

WildRosie wrote: »
    Or could someone point out some nearby parking that I could use. Thanks.
    There's a multi storey car park quite close to the main entrance IIRC. Shouldn't be any problem getting a space at that time of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Alun wrote: »
    There's a multi storey car park quite close to the main entrance IIRC. Shouldn't be any problem getting a space at that time of the morning.

Also plenty of pay & display parking along Nutley Lane on the hospital perimeter, the Donnybrook side of the main entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Assuming you are a patient.

Check with the hospital if you absolutely have to be there at 7am. I suspect you will.

If you are going that early, if it is a medical procedure, they might not want you driving / going home by yourself.

Route 61 to Sandford Road + taxi, although they may be rare at that hour. It's a 2.5km walk from there.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Sorry, I should have been clearer, I'm a student nurse and will be there on placement for 5 weeks so parking on the street or in the shopping centre isn't really an option. I think I'll have to park in UCD and walk down. I think it'll take about 25 minutes. I don't think there's any feasible public transport option that would save time or money.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

WildRosie wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have been clearer, I'm a student nurse and will be there on placement for 5 weeks so parking on the street or in the shopping centre isn't really an option. I think I'll have to park in UCD and walk down. I think it'll take about 25 minutes. I don't think there's any feasible public transport option that would save time or money.

You should be able to get parking at that time at the very north side of UCD near the pedestrian exit on to greenfield park. Then it's a straight walk down, across n11 and down nutley lane. Should reduce walk to 15 mins.

copacetic wrote: »
    You should be able to get parking at that time at the very north side of UCD near the pedestrian exit on to greenfield park. Then it's a straight walk down, across n11 and down nutley lane. Should reduce walk to 15 mins.
    If I could do it in 15 mins that would be great. And the car would be fine in UCD.
    Victor wrote: »
    Consider cycling. It's 6km and you can avoid traffic on a lot of the route by going along the Dodder.
    I have a bike and while I love the idea of cycling in and out, the thoughts of cycling home after 13 hours on my feet only to get up at 6am the next morning and do the same is not appealing. I would like to do it at some stage though.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I think parking in UCD is the best option at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

You would be half-way home cycling though by the time you'd walk from Elm Park to UCD.

• Advertisement

Perhaps, but cycling isn't an option for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You can get a sticker for your car from the security office at the main entrance that lets you park in Old Belvedere Rugby club. It's a 15 min walk from there. That was the system in place when I worked there for 3 months in 2012.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Once you start your placement, you might find a staff member who can give you a lift.

Advertisement