Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin to Cork

• 19-03-2014 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi, I was wondering does anyone commute from Dublin to Cork?

Or does anyone do a similar commute?
    I'm struggling been away from home for work but feel trapped now.

Any suggestions on what to do ?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Commute to Dublin from Cork every day, no that would be crazy!!!

Better to look for a job in Cork if you are not happy in Dublin.

Or commute down to Cork every weekend like many students do.

Or better yet, build a new life for yourself in Dublin. Make new friends, join some clubs, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Assuming you live in Cork City Centre and work in Dublin City Centre, the commuting time would be circa 3 hours each way, or 6 hours per day, it's no way to live life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

cgcsb wrote: »
    Assuming you live in Cork City Centre and work in Dublin City Centre, the commuting time would be circa 3 hours each way, or 6 hours per day, it's no way to live life.

Not to mention the cost. Even with the cheapest bus tickets, you are talking about €20 per day minimum while an annual CIE pass will set you back around €5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No way you're taking everyday? This would be beyond nuts OP! Travel between the two is easy these days but Christ not on an every day basis for any length of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

I wouldn't do that journey every day there and back unless the train journey was under the two hour mark.

I have a colleague who commutes from Devon to London every day - he brings his work with him on a laptop and uses the train wifi to keep in touch with the office. Two and three quarter hours there and back every day. Now he reckons he keeps sane by keeping that time as productive work time and he would rather be living in Devon in a larger house than he could afford in London, so it can work for some people.

At some point IE may get the Dublin-Cork journey time to just under two hours, so if you live within easy reach of Kent station and can Luas or bus it to the City Centre or wherever your workplace is, it might be worth it, but you'll need a lot of stamina and a good strategy for using your time on the train to keep your brain ticking over.

Other posters don't recommend the long commute. I think their points are quite valid, as this really isn't for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

My cousin commuted from Limerick to Dublin for about 18 months. She made it work, but only with a few important factors at play:

- She lived and worked very near the Limerick and Dublin train stations. She could get to both of them in 5-10 minutes. If she had another long journey to make at either end, the commute would have been unworkable.

- Her company subsidized the cost of her train ticket. It would have been far too expensive if she had to pay for it herself.

- Her company was flexible on her working hours. They were ok with her taking work home with her, or doing it on the train, or calling clients from the train. As long as the work was done, they were ok with where it was done. She got the 7am train in the morning and was in the office by 9.30. She'd leave work around 4ish and she'd be home 6.30/7ish. That wouldn't work if you have to keep strict office hours.

- I lived near where she worked in Dublin. So she had somewhere free to stay, if she had to work late, or be in very early for meetings. She left overnight things at my places too. That made over night stays much easier and cheaper than getting a hotel at short notice.

Initially she tried driving, but sitting in city centre traffic at both ends, meant a longer journey. She also found that she was mentally & physically exhausted after a three hour drive, as you just can't switch your brain off, or move about when you are driving. She used the train time to read/sleep/listen to music, so she was a lot more relaxed and refreshed when she got home or at work, than she would have been if she was driving.

All in all, she didn't find it too hard. But a lot of those kinds of things would have to go your way for it to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭cgcsb

In the UK, when HS2 is complete Birmingham will be 50 minutes from London, so commuting along that route may become a real possibility. Unfortunately the similar Cork to Dublin journey is likely to remain at over two hours well into the 2020s.

Advertisement