Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Track laying on Hawkins Street

Options
  • 13-03-2014 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭

As the new Liffey bridge takes shape there has been track laying not just on the bridge itself, but on the adjacent portion of Hawkins Street (pic attached). The track laid terminates abruptly on two permanent-looking shores, but I can't figure out why.

Anybody know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

probabaly because they laid it upside down.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Drain the water off them so it does not pool in winter and freeze knocking them out of gauge.

Look like no Luas will be using that bridge for several decades either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    You do realise that construction is underway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Drain the water off them so it does not pool in winter and freeze knocking them out of gauge.

Which works fine until a tram has to pass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The drains are there to remove rainwater that accumulates in the tracks during this stage of construction, The Hawkins St track is lower than the bridge and Abbey St section so all that rainwater will flow towards Hawkins St and cause minor floods there unless it is diverted into the drains

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The drains are there to remove rainwater that accumulates in the tracks during this stage of construction, The Hawkins St track is lower than the bridge and Abbey St section so all that rainwater will flow towards Hawkins St and cause minor floods there unless it is diverted into the drains

But why not build a drain that will remain serviceable once the rest of the track is in place? It'll still be lower by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

mackerski wrote: »
    But why not build a drain that will remain serviceable once the rest of the track is in place? It'll still be lower by then.
    Those drains look very temporary and I would imagine they will have planned for permenant drains at different places along the line but during construction other temporary drains will be used as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mackerski wrote: »

If I remember correctly, there are slotted drain tracks available. Of course, these must be fitted a the lowest point in the track. The lowest part of the track may be outside the scope of work for the construction of the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

That bridge opens in May. They were putting the handrails on the other day.

• Advertisement

I know the bridge will open. I am not holding my breath for the day a tram crosses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I know the bridge will open. I am not holding my breath for the day a tram crosses it.

They will be rolling across it in 3 years time. As far as I know the trams for the new line have already been ordered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Your source was a taxi driver, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

What would make you say that? The project has been running to schedule to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

cgcsb wrote: »
    What would make you say that? The project has been running to schedule to date.

Same source that claims that IE railfreight aren't answering their phones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I know that I've raised it before but I can't be bothered to find the thread, but why is the Green line extension following this route rather than serving either Pearse or Connolly?

Another question - will we see proper security on the new route or will the Red line problems be extended to the entire Green line? I think we all know the answer to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

I know that I've raised it before but I can't be bothered to find the thread, but why is the Green line extension following this route rather than serving either Pearse or Connolly?

There's no good reason why they should be served by this line. Connolly already on the red line and by extension you can reach Pearse from there. Connolly will be 5 min walk from Green line south bound as will Pearse.
    Another question - will we see proper security on the new route or will the Red line problems be extended to the entire Green line? I think we all know the answer to this.

I would fear that the Green line will also be infected. Though it's worth noting that there are 11 metadone clinics on or close to the red line so this also contributes to the problem.

Advertisement