Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SPAM phishing email

• 02-01-2014 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

I felt it useful to post this as I nearly fell for it and I've been pretty good at spotting Phishing attacks...I just know this is false as I don't pay enough tax to be entitled to a tax refund of this magnitude...(PhD student, very small hours demonstrating, tend to get a tax refund pretty much staight away). Note the believable domain name...

From: Revenue - Irish Tax & Customs [mailto:tax.refund1@revenue.ie]
    Sent: 02 January 2014 07:59
    To: My Full Name
    Subject: Notice of Tax Return !

Dear Sir / Madam ,

I am sending this email to announce: After the last annual
    calculation of your fiscal activity we have determined that you
    are eligible to receive a tax return of:

EUR 371.91

To receive your return, you need to create a Government gateway
    account.

Please download and complete the attached form.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I got that one. Maybe it's because I'm a language pedant, but it immediately jumped out as a scam to me because of the atrocious English it contains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭theedude27

"Fiscal actvity" and "Government gateway"!!! obviously the work of the NSA or some mentally challenged delinquents armed with the most sophisticated applications for carrying out such nonsense (also known as the NSA)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Received an identical email too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hey!
    Your due the exact same amount as me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I got that one. Maybe it's because I'm a language pedant, but it immediately jumped out as a scam to me because of the atrocious English it contains.

Was very asleep that morning after my Christmas break...before you know it you've clicked on the link n you get a virus or something. I saw the poor grammar after I posted it up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrner51

Also got this when you click into the link it ask for your personal details card details and exact amount on the card!

Would want to be very silly to fall for this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

byrner51 wrote: »
    Also got this when you click into the link it ask for your personal details card details and exact amount on the card!

Would want to be very silly to fall for this one

Can you PM me the link?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Marian Walsh

I got one the other day addressed to "Dear Taxpayer":D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 murphy05

Got one today from Amazon.com - looking for bank details!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

delete any emails you don't know the sender,then block them in settings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Europa76

Hi, I just received this and the worst thing is that it wasn't detected by the Google spam filter, which is otherwise a great filter:

sender: xc22344s @ mere.com

We wish to inform you that as of January 01 you are no longer eligible to receive a Tax Return. The reason being the expiration of your current information regarding the method by which you receive your Tax Returns. To alleviate this problem you must renew this information by filling out and submiting this form

Untill you complete this process you will not be able to receive any Tax Return. Please note: Submitting invalid records can lead to the inability to receive Tax Returns for a period of 6 months.

Please submit the Tax Return Information Update Form and allow us 6-9 days in order to process it.

Thank you.

Please people, DO NOT FILL IN ANY FORMS! It's a scam, phishing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I read an interesting article recently on the poor grammar in phishing mails.

Apparently the linguistically deficient are more likely to fall for scams, whether through inattention or lack of education, so what appears on the face of it to be a "tell" for SPAM is actually a mark filtering mechanism...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Ya, I got the dear taxpayer one this morning that Europa mentioned above. Exact same email word for word, with the Revenue logo on it too. Bastards.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

The Donedeal customer satisfaction phishing email is doing the rounds. Definitely since I've never used Donedeal wirh that email address.

Advertisement