Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College Scholar

• 16-08-2009 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

How do you become one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

You need to get 800/1200 + in First Year and 840/1200 + thereafter if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

66.6 percent seems a random cut off point? and if you only had say 1000 in credits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

It is not simply a matter of getting x%. Say if there are one hundred of you in the course. YOu get a first class honours the whole way through. You might not get it because say 10 others had better results than you. Each course differs though, best ask the admin of your college.

so in a hundred, a top 10/ top 8 finish might be enough\?

ALincoln wrote: »
    so in a hundred, a top 10/ top 8 finish might be enough\?

Possibly - as far as I know some courses dole them out each year. So say if your course was 4 years long, certain students would qualify each year. Others (and this was the case with me) wait until the course's end to determine the overall result. It is generally an academic honour only (i.e. no cash prize worse luck:rolleyes: but you might get lucky and it is a pretty sweet feeling when you get one, as well as looking good on your CV :)). Depending on the college again, it may also be determined by faculty. So say you were in the medicine faculty and doing a health related course (but not medicine), you could be pitted against the top acheivers in that faculty! Again, depends on your college and course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭up them Schteps

AFAIK you can only get it once?

Thats just what I heard though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Same As

Definitely think you can get it more than once.

In my degree they fling the title at whoever gets a First Class Honours! 816+/1200.

Means SFA anyway, just an antiquated title imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MisterCadbury

how do you know if you get one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Got one each year and probably again this year for my final year results and its only handy for throwing down on the CV. They generally give them out to everyone that gets a first because not many get a first to begin with. You get a letter informing you that you got it but it might change this year because the college is trying not to send letters out for cost reasons. It isn't until around mid-November that you get the letter from them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was an Entrance Scholar in 1996 (with all of £250 attached) and then a college scholar for each year afterwards. There's no monetary advantage though. It's purely prestige. (I think that in the past it might have entitled you to lodgings/food etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Does anyone know where it will say you are a College Scholar? In the letter it says "your student record will be ammended"... Where exactly is that? Is it on transcripts etc?

Thanks

If it went to arts people with 800/1200+ though, then surely it's not just people who get firsts?High 2.1s also suffice?

Daisy03 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where it will say you are a College Scholar? In the letter it says "your student record will be ammended"... Where exactly is that? Is it on transcripts etc?

Thanks

It will be noted on your transcripts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

never heard aout this, anyone know whats it like in engineering?

never heard aout this, anyone know whats it like in engineering?

I'm in engineering and it goes to those with firsts only, not high 2H1s. You get a letter in November telling you that you have received it and then you see it in your transcripts if you fork over the €15 for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

D-Generate wrote: »
    I'm in engineering and it goes to those with firsts only, not high 2H1s. You get a letter in November telling you that you have received it and then you see it in your transcripts if you fork over the €15 for them.

so my 841 will just cut it, thank fluck for those 2 extra %s
    only first year anyways, half the class probably got firsts. civil btw
    second question whats this transcipt jobby and is it worth getting?

so my 841 will just cut it, thank fluck for those 2 extra %s
    only first year anyways, half the class probably got firsts. civil btw

Well I'm just graduating from Elec and considerably less than that each year got firsts so it might be limited! Not too sure but I doubt it is though.

Transcripts are just your results printed out by the Exam Registrar and with a watermark. Really no point getting them until you are in final year which is when employers or graduate schools might start asking for them.

bt how come 800/1200 cut it in arts if its only going to 1hers?

Transcripts are the official college print-out of your results. As D-Generate said, the transcript is printed on official paper and you usually only get them towards the end of your time in college when you're job/postgrad hunting.

For instance, I only got my transcript towards the end of my PhD studies. I didn't require it up to then. Once you pay the initial fee for a transcript, all subsequent copies are issued for free (or at least, that was the case).

D-Generate wrote: »
    Got one each year and probably again this year for my final year results and its only handy for throwing down on the CV. They generally give them out to everyone that gets a first because not many get a first to begin with. You get a letter informing you that you got it but it might change this year because the college is trying not to send letters out for cost reasons. It isn't until around mid-November that you get the letter from them anyway.

Nope! Unfortunately they don't give them for your final year results. I don't know why; it kinda sucks if you ask me.

• Advertisement

Furet wrote: »
    Nope! Unfortunately they don't give them for your final year results. I don't know why; it kinda sucks if you ask me.

What a dose! Well that teaches me for being so ungrateful for the previous years ones because now that I don't get it I think it sucks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

Are you sure? I received one following my finals in '04.

Incorrect. As another poster said, I also got them. It is more common for them to be handed out at end of degree only than any other way.

tommy21 wrote: »
    Incorrect. As another poster said, I also got them. It is more common for them to be handed out at end of degree only than any other way.

Well, I didn't get it for my final year even though I exceeded the requirements. When I rang the records and examinations office I was informed in no uncertain terms that it's not awarded to final year students. Could it be that it varies from faculty to faculty I wonder?

Well, I didn't get it for my final year even though I exceeded the requirements. When I rang the records and examinations office I was informed in no uncertain terms that it's not awarded to final year students. Could it be that it varies from faculty to faculty I wonder?

Oh, well must be so, I stand corrected!:p

are they sending out schols letters at the moment?

I heard that someone in law got one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Yeah, I got one for final year results.
    Except they call them "Postgraduate College Scholars" then.

Advertisement