Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!! Law and german OR commerce and german!!?

Options
  • 20-06-2009 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Ok so I'm trying to decide between law and german and commerce and german...

Is anyone doing either of these courses in ucc!!? Please share your experiences... Good and bad :p

I'm stumped :o and the deadline's sooo close!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

I did the Commerce and German course for 1 year, waste of time IMO, transferred to Straight Commerce in 2nd year, bes decision I ever made. There was no real integration between the Commerce and the German in 1st year, found it pointless continuing. I'd reconsider choosing Straight Commerce ahead of Commerce & German.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 meeayz

I did german in first arts this year , with the intention of keeping it on for the 3 years but hated it , I found it very boring and dull . The film and literature side to it was very dull , staying awake was a struggle !! A couple of people in german class with me dropped out , they were doing it with comm... If you REALLY like the language then id say go for it . A lot of people got letters sent home after x-mas saying they should attend classes more often cause a lot of ppl never went !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

I do straight Law. Law is great, you should do it. You get Fridays off:p But no, its good for other reasons too.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Fuascailt wrote: »
    I do straight Law. Law is great, you should do it. You get Fridays off:p But no, its good for other reasons too.

such as? cos i'm contemplating between law or law and german

Mario007 wrote: »
    such as? cos i'm contemplating between law or law and german

Keep away from German unless you're in love with the language, only take it if you don't get the points for straight law, you can transfer to straight law in 2nd year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Same As wrote: »
    Keep away from German unless you're in love with the language, only take it if you don't get the points for straight law, you can transfer to straight law in 2nd year!

really? and would i transfer to first year in law or the second year in law?

i like german...well i like speaking it and writting it, but not so much learning it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 77DeeDee77

Well see I do really like german and I'm positive that I want to study it.. My problem is deciding between the law and the commerce..!? :S how do u find commerce!?

Mario007 wrote: »
    really? and would i transfer to first year in law or the second year in law?

i like german...well i like speaking it and writting it, but not so much learning it:D

Yeah but transferring can be competitive depending on the number of people that have applied to change from all the Law + Language degrees into the Law degree. You would transfer into 2nd year Law.
    77DeeDee77 wrote: »
    Well see I do really like german and I'm positive that I want to study it.. My problem is deciding between the law and the commerce..!? :S how do u find commerce!?

I find Commerce handy enough, not too difficult but not p1ss easy if ya know what I mean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 beibhinn43

I've taught on both those programmes, and would agree that you should really be interested in the language -and the culture, otherwise it's a struggle. The Law Groups tend to be small, and very competitive, the Commerce groups bigger and less competitive. The year abroad really works and many Law students (fewer Comm) have gone on to do Postgrads in Law, at German Unis. Within the Law Faculties, Law and German has less of a reputation than 'pure' Law..Matters little in the workplace tho'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Starr

I've finished second year of Law and German and absolutely loving it!

In first year, you do 35 credits of law and 25 German (constitutional, criminal, contract, intro to law, german language, intro to german political systems, intro to literature). After an initial shock, law is easy enough to manage and easy to do well in if you keep on top of things. I found German slightly boring in first year but I stuck with it and I'm delighted that I did.

There's a big step up in second year. Modules are Property law, EU law, Tort law, German civil law, german essay and discussion, translation, legal language, oral language, social and political culture since 1945 and two german modules of choice(drama, novella, nationalism, literature). It's a big workload and there are a lot of hours, but there's also a lot of help preparing for the erasmus year. The faculties (both law and german) are very helpful and are organising every last detail for us. At this stage most of the class have chosen where they're gonna go. There are 3 options.

I would point out that it is half a law degree and half an arts degree. Literature is compulsory in 1st year and 1 5 credit module at least in 2nd year. I love it but lots of people find it a shock when they arrive. There are more hours than straight law folk have, but you still mix with them a lot, and there are loads of social events and in general everyone's really friendly. The german classes are really small, mostly less than 15 people, so it's a nice change from law.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭googlefan

If you enjoy a highly competitive environment where your peers are hoping you will do poorly in exams, and will go to extremes like hiding books in the library and ripping out important pages from books, choose law. The Law Society are running a training programme for graduates out of work to try and get them up to skill to enter different industries I believe. I know a number of people fully qualified struggling for work.

Commerce students work hard and play hard. As business career will involve excellent social skills and lots of personal contacts you will find yourself attending lots of parties as well as your academic side of things. Commerce are generally an excellent unit, and are known to help each other when it comes to exams and projects. You will never be stuck for missing notes or help if your in **** creek before an exam.

Commerce will give you more options. You get a broad look at a number of subjects before majoring in the last two years, including law. As for the German side of things, I've not heard good things about the languages. They generally do worse in exams. Do it for a year if you must before moving into straight Commerce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Starr

You have to have had the same points as required for straight law in your first year to swap... obsolete now anyway cos L&G is higher than straight law, people finally seeing the light :rolleyes: And we're not nasty in law, a lovely bunch of peeps in my experience :D

Advertisement