Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stone outer leaf of wall

Options
  • 25-06-2015 12:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Can the outer leaf of a cavity wall in a new build house be cut stone or does it cause problems with damp-proofing, insulation, etc...
    can it be outer leaf or must it be a third leaf which is effectively cladding for a cavity wall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭893bet

Can the outer leaf of a cavity wall in a new build house be cut stone or does it cause problems with damp-proofing, insulation, etc...
    can it be outer leaf or must it be a third leaf which is effectively cladding for a cavity wall?

I suspect for structural integrity you need the two block leafs.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,085 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

fernhill stone has a product that is the only stone that i know of thats tested and certified for use as a structural outer leaf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

is it prohibitively expensive and is an alternative to use a cavity block and then use cut stone as an outer leaf?

is it prohibitively expensive and is an alternative to use a cavity block and then use cut stone as an outer leaf?

not sure what your asking?

Is that stone product especially expensive.

If there are structural issues with using stone as an outleaf can they be circumvented by using a nice fat cavity block for the inner leaf and then use stone on the outer leaf?

• Advertisement

1. Is that stone product especially expensive.

2. If there are structural issues with using stone as an outleaf can they be circumvented by using a nice fat cavity block for the inner leaf and then use stone on the outer leaf?

1. not sure, youd have to contact the company and then work out the cost versus a traditional stone and block outer leaf

2. thats for your structural engineer to determine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is that stone product especially expensive.

If there are structural issues with using stone as an outleaf can they be circumvented by using a nice fat cavity block for the inner leaf and then use stone on the outer leaf?

AFAIK cavity block now banned as a building product.

I find it strange that the structure of the house is being driven by the finish.

Certainly using any form of cut stone cladding is going to hurt your pocket.
    Cut stone as a structural element is just a higher level of hurt.

If this is at the expense of spending the mula on making the property as sustainable as possible over the 40 or so years you might live in it, then its the wrong approach.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

stone used on other period houses in the locality so expectation is that it would be mandated for planning permission approval.

stone used on other period houses in the locality so expectation is that it would be mandated for planning permission approval.

unless your building a dwelling from that period (whcih your not), it wouldnt have any impact.

vernacular architecture doesnt tend to have cut stone as a finishing material

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

sydthebeat wrote: »
    vernacular architecture doesnt tend to have cut stone as a finishing material

other than in the case fans of "Dallas"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

AFAIK cavity block now banned as a building product.

Do you mind me asking where you have read/heard this?
    I still see it used very very opten around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Why would you not just build a normal cavity wall and build the stone to the outer leaf?

Because I don't know. Blocks are just crushed stone and sand glued back together with cement so a third leaf of the same basic material seems like overkill if it can be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Not sure but I would think there would be a million and one complications skipping the outer leaf blockwork. I think it might even work out more expensive with these complications.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

Because I don't know.

agreed
    Blocks are just crushed stone and sand glued back together with cement

this forum needs you
    so a third leaf of the same basic material seems like overkill if it can be avoided.

It isn't and it can't be.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

sydthebeat wrote: »
    1. not sure, youd have to contact the company and then work out the cost versus a traditional stone and block outer leaf

2. thats for your structural engineer to determine.
    +1
    Because I don't know. Blocks are just crushed stone and sand glued back together with cement so a third leaf of the same basic material seems like overkill if it can be avoided.

Don't reinvent the wheel.

Block/ cavity / block / stone

• Registered Users Posts: 33,296 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The difference is blocks are specifically engineered, designed, manufactured and tested. When you buy blocks, you know what strength they are. There are just far too many variables to take into consideration if using stone including, as you said, damp proofing, insulation... even the wall ties. I also reckon you'd find it very difficult to get anyone to sign off on it, even the stone supplier.

I know it probably seems like overkill, but it really is the best solution.

Question answered. Thanks to all except Strolling Bones who wasn't very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

..post reported instead..

Advertisement