Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

green diesel been stolen..

Options
  • 08-02-2016 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Hi all, so I live in rural Ireland on a cul da sac road. Yesterday I went out to the farm to feed the cattle and noticed green diesel on the ground. Looked into the tank and there was a 1/4 of a tank less. It appears that someone had pulled in and filled there barrel (s) and spilled a bit a meter from the tank and took off. With the diesel. Reported the incident to the Gardaí, but they can't do much as it wasn't witnessed. So just wondering how the rest of ye keep your fuel safe?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

In a locked shed. Lad nearby got raided a few yrs back. Tank up on a ditch across the road from the house. Asking for trouble. Found out he had been done. We all had a suspicion the culprit was local. Lad put a few gallons into the old tank when ordering a new refill but had a new tank put up under lock and key and filled this. He then topped up the old tank with water and dairy detergent. Sat back and waited. Lo and behold a few days later a certain individual had a mechanic in the yard wondering why a machine wouldnt start. The corrosive additives had worked wonders!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

In a locked shed. Lad nearby got raided a few yrs back. Tank up on a ditch across the road from the house. Asking for trouble. Found out he had been done. We all had a suspicion the culprit was local. Lad put a few gallons into the old tank when ordering a new refill but had a new tank put up under lock and key and filled this. He then topped up the old tank with water and dairy detergent. Sat back and waited. Lo and behold a few days later a certain individual had a mechanic in the yard wondering why a machine wouldnt start. The corrosive additives had worked wonders!

Ya, we have slatted sheds for the cattle but there are aren't suitable to sore diesel in. That is a good idea, the scum got what they deserved.

job seeker wrote: »
    Ya, we have slatted sheds for the cattle but there are aren't suitable to sore diesel in. That is a good idea, the scum got what they deserved.

Yep they couldn't exactly go back looking for compensation for the damage to the tractor.
    Out of sight to any casual callers is a start.
    Underground would be my location of choice with locked access to tank and electric supply needed to get diesel out. Major undertaking though.

Yep they couldn't exactly go back looking for compensation for the damage to the tractor.
    Out of sight to any casual callers is a start.
    Underground would be my location of choice with locked access to tank and electric supply needed to get diesel out. Major undertaking though.

Ya, for sure. Are farm was built about 70/80 years ago. So the diesel tank is on display beside the milking. Put there back at a time when you could trust people...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FineFilly

would it be worth building blocks around it or putting palisade fencing around and locking it ?

• Advertisement

FineFilly wrote: »
    would it be worth building blocks around it or putting palisade fencing around and locking it ?

You see it's up a concrete which is a meter off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

In a locked shed here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭High bike

love it:D

Any place around here that had diesel taken the tank was outdoors unlocked and easily accessible. Tanks more often than not have been drained in one visit so a bowser or similar is being used. There has been no breaking and entering or cutting security measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

Any place around here that had diesel taken the tank was outdoors unlocked and easily accessible. Tanks more often than not have been drained in one visit so a bowser or similar is being used. There has been no breaking and entering or cutting security measures.
    No tow behind bowser needed. I seen a van a couple of years ago that had a tank built into the back of it. It had two compartments. It even had the anti roll/slosh thing like tankers have. It was a nice set up. Just reverse up to diesel/heating oil tank pull out hose and pump. I also heard of gangs using a long pipe to go across fields or gardens or yard so they don't need to actually drive into house or yard.

• Advertisement

jimini0 wrote: »
    No tow behind bowser needed. I seen a van a couple of years ago that had a tank built into the back of it. It had two compartments. It even had the anti roll/slosh thing like tankers have. It was a nice set up. Just reverse up to diesel/heating oil tank pull out hose and pump. I also heard of gangs using a long pipe to go across fields or gardens or yard so they don't need to actually drive into house or yard.
    Shhhh don't be giving fellas ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

heard a similar story locally with turf being stolen. they put a few shotgun cartridges (blanks I hope) in the turf.
    a local mans cooker blew up a week later

heard a similar story locally with turf being stolen. they put a few shotgun cartridges (blanks I hope) in the turf.
    a local mans cooker blew up a week later
    You must be in west mayo. Or by coincidence the same happen around here.

Shhhh don't be giving fellas ideas!

Here is another idea for ye.
    Buy a second hand oil lorry and go around emptying tanks by pretending to fill them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

jimini0 wrote: »
    You must be in west mayo. Or by coincidence the same happen around here.

no just a coincidence. or just two people coming up with a similar plan to deal with vermin

Advertisement