Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Beef Finishing Unit In Galway

• 06-02-2016 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭

Finishing 1,500 cattle annually on 1,400 acres in Galway.
    From page 46 of this weeks Farmers Journal;

Finishing

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

Finishing 1,500 cattle annually on 1,400 acres in Galway.
    From page 46 of this weeks Farmers Journal;

Finishing

They were on rare breed last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

They have 1600 ewes as well, our sheep discussion group visited it last year, great farmers, they also breed sporthorses for export to america

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Good employers too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

And dont forget their tillage operation.
    Ya they were on rare breed last year alright. They split there sheep up into herds of 250 for easy management. If memory serves me correctly he said that they had a contract to provide 80cattle a week to the factory. The wife was a fairly formidable character, she seemed to be in charge of the horse and sheep side of the operation. Very impressive operation all round, it would make you feel like a hobby farmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Without taken away from them, they had a great start getting a farm like that. It's probably some of the finest land in Ireland. And there single farm payment is well over a 100,000, nearer 150,000.
    They must be serious workers though. You would want your head well screwed on to run that operation.
    I suppose if he only made 60-70e profit on the cattle each, you'd be talkng 90,000 to 105,000. Scale matters unfortunately

• Advertisement

Without taken away from them, they had a great start getting a farm like that. It's probably some of the finest land in Ireland. And there single farm payment is well over a 100,000, nearer 150,000.
    They must be serious workers though. You would want your head well screwed on to run that operation.
    I suppose if he only made 60-70e profit on the cattle each, you'd be talkng 90,000 to 105,000. Scale matters unfortunately

And selling 3000 lambs as well, every enterprise is a big farm in itself, what really impressed me was their enthusiasm, even chris's new wife and she not from a farm....some team
    One of the advisors at the sheep conference was telling that bournes have one shed with 300 ewes and every one carrying either three or four lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

250 Sfp in total

60-70 a head not much good..15 full time staff to be paid aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

It's not all as clean cut as the cameras portray. Fair play for anyone to get that far on in farming but it wasn't always rosey. Their land would be very mixed too so that has to be handed to them. A lot of it would still be under water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭Dickie10

where are they from originally? how did they gather that much land are they from the time of landed ascendency?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Dickie10 wrote: »
    where are they from originally? how did they gather that much land are they from the time of landed ascendency?

I'd imagine they came from the other side of the water . I think he said they were 4th generation farmers there . In all fairness they would be one of the few to hold a block of land together that long .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Dickie10 wrote: »

East Galway, between eyre court and banagher. Leaning right into the Shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

barnaman wrote: »

I was wondering when that would pop up . Its a good while ago now though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Bullocks wrote: »
    I was wondering when that would pop up . Its a good while ago now though

yea I was aware of it at the time, the fines were so lenient at the time that most of us were kicking ourselves that we didn't indulge, a lot of people made a lot of money using them

rangler1 wrote: »
    yea I was aware of it at the time, the fines were so lenient at the time that most of us were kicking ourselves that we didn't indulge, a lot of people made a lot of money using them

I wouldn't be old enough to remember how hard the penalty would affect you but I'd guess it wasn't easy to gather 22k back then .He want to have got mileage out of his powder .
    I know a couple of lads out beside him and they never have much good to say about him but I would put most of it down to jealousy !
    I'd love to know what part pays him better , beef , sheep or horses or would they all balance out over a few years

Bullocks wrote: »
    I wouldn't be old enough to remember how hard the penalty would affect you but I'd guess it wasn't easy to gather 22k back then .He want to have got mileage out of his powder .
    I know a couple of lads out beside him and they never have much good to say about him but I would put most of it down to jealousy !
    I'd love to know what part pays him better , beef , sheep or horses or would they all balance out over a few years

There was unreal profit to be made out of using it, even the legal growth promoters did a great job on poor friesians, loads of farmers got caught but the sentences were minimal.
    I've relations nearby, so Richard would know me and was very friendly on the day we were there. we got lovely food and even hot whiskeys which was welcome on a very cold day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭MfMan

There was unreal profit to be made out of using it, even the legal growth promoters did a great job on poor friesians, loads of farmers got caught but the sentences were minimal.
    I've relations nearby, so Richard would know me and was very friendly on the day we were there. we got lovely food and even hot whiskeys which was welcome on a very cold day

Was it an invite-only event or open to Teagasc clients or something?

Did you put on extra condition after the grub :D

MfMan wrote: »

Our teagasc sheep discussion group does a day out every year along with the other groups that our facilitator looks after, we asked bournes could we come for a few hrs and it was no problem, went bowling on the way home and then a meal in athlone.......we're easy amused.
    There was about 50 of us from 3 groups
    Their horses do very well, good few prizewinners in the RDS this year, also their other son has a fam in new york that they export some of the sport horses too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

It really paid back then alot of finishers were are at it; father named a long list of lads who were at it and sure Rangler could do the same. The corruption and general dodginess back then was unreal. Farm here is just under 400 acres and relations with even larger farms and my father would know alot that used to go on. What made me laugh was that alot of lads at it were substantial Protestant farmers and the guys supplying it were getting it from the North from that organisation that Gerry never ever belonged to; and that the supplier was common knowledge too. Just goes to show when it comes to money people not care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

This put in perceptive all the US technology that he speaks about that is not available here. It is interesting as well that now he is getting a premium for supplying GM free beef. All in all a goof farmer but it is a lot easier to be a good farmer if you have to make decisions between putting bread on the table or kids to college and putting rubber mats under bulls.

Everything he is doing is top class but that is relative to size of farm. Yes he has 15 employed but in that size of operation you would expect that. The interesting thing is that he is not trying to make it pay from around the mart ring. He has a really novel way of buying cattle. He or his agent sources the cattle from farms, then he agrees a price/kg. The farmer brings them to his farm they are weighed, paper work done and payed for. No mart fees, no agent fees ( unless he uses an agent to source) and no transport fees on the supply side. That is 25/ head saved straight off and no ar5eing around the mart 3-4 days a week buying 30-40 cattle and running a land cruised and box. On the plus side for the farmer supplying, again no mart fees, no day selling and collect on the day.

I imagine the sheep unit is similar. If he is selling 2 lambs/ewe then he is selling 3K lambs to the factory/year.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

250 Sfp in total

60-70 a head not much good..15 full time staff to be paid aswell

Not all paid out of the beef though. The horse business they have is very lucrative, they are very very good at it, and with the other son and farm in America they have a lot of contacts built up. Tbh I'd say if he was clearing that he would be doing better that slot of lads.
    I wonder will the carcass weight limit have a lot of implications for him?

Never kicked myself for not using it and was killing a lot of cattle per year at the time.
    Don't forget the suppliers of the illegal growth promoters shot and killed a farmer in tipperary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

It was rampant in the early 90s in these parts. Remember these bucks ruling the roost for the heavy cattle in the marts.. I see one of them trains horses now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

MfMan wrote: »

Invite only.

Willfarman wrote: »
    It was rampant in the early 90s in these parts. Remember these bucks ruling the roost for the heavy cattle in the marts.. I see one of them trains horses now.

Very true. It was to hard compete with them alright. And the dogs in the street knew who was using it and who was selling it. It was a sort of a farming Mafia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I remember when those 'Growth Promoters', as they called them then, were legal. They used to drive bullocks mad. They'd start acting like bulls, bellowing and rooting the ground etc.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

I remember when those 'Growth Promoters', as they called them then, were legal. They used to drive bullocks mad. They'd start acting like bulls, bellowing and rooting the ground etc.

Some of the real smart boy is used to give it to lambs. Crazy stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

barnaman wrote: »

I'm surprised Mary was so lenient. Usually she's a hard case of a judge.

I'm surprised Mary was so lenient. Usually she's a hard case of a judge.

I'd say it's harder she is getting in her old age aswell , no harm for alot of repeat offenders

Advertisement