Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BVD neg herd status

• 24-01-2016 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Got a text confirming Im now Negative Bvd herd status. Question is do I still have to keep sending off samples from the newborns to be tested?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

Grecco wrote: »
    Got a text confirming Im now Negative Bvd herd status. Question is do I still have to keep sending off samples from the newborns to be tested?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

yes for ever i be thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

Yeah you do. The scheme is a complete shambles, they're making it up as they go along but sure the farmers who are doing everything by the book will keep paying the price for those who are allowed to get away with holding on to Pi's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Yes you do need to continue, however some if not all labs offer a discount to Negative herds as they now will be pool sampling from your herd

tanko wrote: »
    Yeah you do. The scheme is a complete shambles, they're making it up as they go along but sure the farmers who are doing everything by the book will keep paying the price for those who are allowed to get away with holding on to Pi's.

It's a great scheme but as you say wasn't set up on the right footing. This nonsense of allowing Pi cattle remain on farm has really pissed off the genuine guys. They made a balls of something that could have been complete in 3 yrs or even 1 had it been done properly.

I see that the herds holding Pi cattle are still not going to be made public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

Do you have to test. I mean is it like tb. What are penalties if not done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

valtra2 wrote: »
    Do you have to test. I mean is it like tb. What are penalties if not done

Every calf born in recent years has 2 tags, 1 standard (black button) & 1 BVD (white button), when tagging the BVD, it pierces the ear & some tissue is stored in a shaft like part of the tag which removes when the tagging procedure is complete. You then send this sample in a sealed bag/envelope to a lab for testing.
    If calves are not BVD tested they cannot be sold

I know how it's done. Am in a negative herd status. Just wondering if I went out tomorrow and stopped testing what would happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I know how it's done. Am in a negative herd status. Just wondering if I went out tomorrow and stopped testing what would happen.
    you wouldnt be able to sell any animal not tested.

whelan2 wrote: »

But can factory them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Got the text too and I'm now in that category but all the wasters keeping pis are screwing it up for majority .thede should be named and shamed and herds restricted till there gone ,I'd also like to see them hit with higher testing charges also

But can factory them
    I suppose I would be thinking why not test? Its only a few euro. If your neighbour has pi's it could spread to your stock. Agree with earlier posters though the scheme is run totally wrong.

You'd not be allowed sell
    It would be nuts to stop testing as Pi cattle are still around and may actually be in all your neighbours farms for all you know.

At the very least the location of all Pi animals should be made public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I started off in voluntary year for testing and I was clear all the time and just about to get negative herd status. Then 1 Friesian bull calf tested positive last year. I isolated the calf and the cow away from the herd (not together but away from the herd). The options were to tag again and tissue sample or blood sample. I got them both blood sampled by the vet as I wanted to be sure. I knew the cow couldn't have it as the calf she had the year before tested clear. So it would have to be a transitory encounter with the virus when she was 3 months in calf. The calf tested positive the second time and went to the knacker straight away.

Now I know I was clear up to then and all the young animals were tested and ergo their dams were tested as well and bulls were tested. So the virus came from outside and I didn't buy in any animals.

The only time that I limited it to was the knackers lorry was in the yard when the cow was 3 months in calf or the cows were grazing aftergrass and a neighbour's cattle were grazing in the field beside and he buys in cattle from a lot of different places. But I won't know for sure where it came from.

The gripe I have with the system is if a calf is tested positive then it should be mandatory for your vet to blood sample for the second test. This thing of sending out tags to test for the second time, there's nothing to stop the farmer from tagging and getting a sample from a clean animal and sending that in and then the result coming back negative and either then keeping or selling the animal. Maybe i'm wrong and they dna sample the second sample with the first. I hope they do but I've heard reports otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Agree, if retesting, it should be blood by as vet.
    Cannot understand Dept. argument that they could not pay compensation, if my memory on that is correct. This is done for 60 years with TB.
    A concerted effort got rid of Brucellosis, which was a rotten disease also succeeded.
    I think with compulsory removal, this could be done in a short time.

Water John wrote: »
    Agree, if retesting, it should be blood by as vet.
    Cannot understand Dept. argument that they could not pay compensation, if my memory on that is correct. This is done for 60 years with TB.
    A concerted effort got rid of Brucellosis, which was a rotten disease also succeeded.
    I think with compulsory removal, this could be done in a short time.

This scheme was done on the cheap and is providing jobs so will be hard to change. Coupled with chancers ruining it for every other farmer.

If you were to perfect the scheme.
    Only have a vet retest an animal and paid for by dept.
    As you say compulsory removal of affected animals and pay three quarters the sale price of the animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Just got the text today, has everyone got it too (BVD free herd)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

No txt saying I have a BVD FREE HERD from dept even though I always have negative BVD results here

No just got two texts, one saying four samples were fine and another one empty.
    Might get the vet to do it when he is in the yard later in the week. Its what I did before, no messing with another tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Good scheme but run by a shower of idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭inthepit

No text here,rang enquiring about cost and was told by enfer that we are BVD free herd and
    therefore testing costs 60 cents less per sample.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I got text too. BVD negative status here now. I was in the voluntary scheme too, but didn't get a full clear as I forgot to test a calf that died at birth and I dropped to knackers yard.
    Crazy about the PI's. They should be all taken out and shot... and then shoot the calves.:D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Got a text saying to have a bvd neg herd I need to test 4 animals. One is the bull Some hope and no hope of testing him.

dzer2 wrote: »
    Got a text saying to have a bvd neg herd I need to test 4 animals. One is the bull Some hope and no hope of testing him.
    could you blood him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

could you blood him?

Just order 4 tags for the four animals, tag them, test them and you have your NHS.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Still have to tag the bull, this will be his 5th fcukin tag, 2 yellow tags, a tag the breeder had on him, a genomics tag, and now a bvd tag. Bloody camouflage!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

You don`t have to tag him, theirs a sampler tag you can buy and all it is is just the sampler part of the tag

https://tags.mullinahonecoop.ie/ots/spring/selectProducts?execution=e2s2

TST008-lrg.jpg

Logged into my enfer account there. Used my ie number and password. It was someone else's herd. Their tag began with 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Got the text too. Whoop e doo da
    What's the big deal about telling us we have negative bvd status. Sure don't we know that ourselves all ready. The 60c deduction is nothing. Unless you have a few hundred or more calves to tag.
    Why don't they take the 60c and use it to kill every pi calf in the country. And once and for all get rid of bvd forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Logged into my enfer account there. Used my ie number and password. It was someone else's herd. Their tag began with 18.

That's not good
    Did ya tell them?

ganmo wrote: »
    That's not good
    Did ya tell them?
    will ring them in the morning

You don`t have to tag him, theirs a sampler tag you can buy and all it is is just the sampler part of the tag

https://tags.mullinahonecoop.ie/ots/spring/selectProducts?execution=e2s2

TST008-lrg.jpg
    I think the parts above are still meant to be used with a tag.
    Read here;
    https://tags.mullinahonecoop.ie/ots/spring/selectProducts?execution=e1s2

No your wrong there. I ve used them to resample animals that had so called"empty samples taken from the original tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Grecco wrote:
    No your wrong there. I ve used them to resample animals that had so called"empty samples taken from the original tag.

Do you not have to use a button tag with them?

No just put that part into the tagger and go ahead and tag as usual. The only difference is that you have no tag left in the ear but have a sample.

• Advertisement

No just put that part into the tagger and go ahead and tag as usual. The only difference is that you have no tag left in the ear but have a sample.
    can you order it without the grren tag?

Yes,If I recall correctly they cost about 1 yoyo each

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I have to take a sample off the bull also. A pure balls. I will be selling him at end of summer. By then, he will have 4 tags, two identifiers and two samplers-1 bvd and 1 beef genomics one.

Edit: just read about the sampler tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

jimini0 wrote: »
    Got the text too. Whoop e doo da
    What's the big deal about telling us we have negative bvd status. Sure don't we know that ourselves all ready. The 60c deduction is nothing. Unless you have a few hundred or more calves to tag.
    Why don't they take the 60c and use it to kill every pi calf in the country. And once and for all get rid of bvd forever.

It's a bit like the cartel between doctors and pharmacists they are making money selling vaccines for bvd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

90 cent per BVD sample savings, by having a BVD free herd status here

• Advertisement

Tagged stock bull today, to comply with scheme. one part of the greentag stayed in his ear and the other stayed in the tagger:eek: not sure if theres a sample in the needle part, will post tomorrow and wait and see.

I had a similar thing happen. Cripes tagging a bull isnt an easy job. The Bull knew what was coming and was right wicked about it.
    Pure madness part of the scheme. The bull could become a carrier an hour after tagging him. Makes no sense, it should be the calf only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I did the selected cows in the field for the first part of the Genomics scheme.
    Sure it was easier than getting the group in and separating them etc.
    One was left the same as your bull as she pulled just as it snapped shut, the sample was still in it though as you can see it with a good torch.

One of those old ear notchers would do a clean second job on the animal and just poke a bit up the needle.

Ah Kovu, you'll have ARAN onto you for cruelty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Would the bull not have be negative, would a PI bull not have to sire a PI calf ?

I had a similar thing happen. Cripes tagging a bull isnt an easy job. The Bull knew what was coming and was right wicked about it.
    Pure madness part of the scheme. The bull could become a carrier an hour after tagging him. Makes no sense, it should be the calf only

Tagging or blood sampling the bull is the last piece of the jigsaw if he hasn't already been tested as a calf.
    He could become transiently infected after you test him but he wont become a PI and spread it to cows in calf. Then you have to ask where would he get it from an hour after testing him. If he did get it after it would effect his fertility big time.

Testing the calves was chosen as you're actually testing the calf and the cow at the same time. A PI cow will always have a PI calf. But then 1 PI animal if mixed with cows 3 months incalf ( in optimum conditions) could make PI's of every unborn calf.

It's a good scheme if done properly and we are already seeing the benefits with improved fertility and better thrive in cattle.

If any deserves a crank call it's this boyo.
    Simon Coveney here i'll be down there in the morning.:D

Edit I wonder if what he's doing is illegal or the stock must be going for dogfood.
    Still he'd want a dept official overseeing the operation.

Actually the whole naming and shaming of people holding on to PI's would be a good question for the IFA canditates.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

You'd just love to be bounding this pr1*k with ears.:mad: We should spam him with calls.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Is he legit? He'd have to be, wouldn't he? Or am I missing something?

• Advertisement
Advertisement