Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon Elite Field Announced

Options
  • 12-01-2016 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Looks to be another unbelievable line-up for the London Marathon again this year on the women's side. Men's should be released in the next week and I'm anticipating something special there as well.

Virgin Money London Marathon 2016 women's elite field and personal bests:
    Tigist Tufa (ETH) 2:21:52
    Mary Keitany (KEN) 2:18:37
    Gladys Cherono (KEN) 2:19:25
    Aselefech Mergia (ETH) 2:19:31
    Florence Kiplagat (KEN) 2:19:44
    Mare Dibaba (ETH) 2:19:52
    Priscah Jeptoo (KEN) 2:20:14
    Feyse Tadese (ETH) 2:20:27
    Jemima Sumgong (KEN) 2:20:48
    Jessica Augusto (POR) 2:24:25
    Volha Mazuronak (BLR) 2:25:36
    Rkia El Moukim (MAR) 2:26:33
    Diana Lobacevske (LTU) 2:28:03
    Sonia Samuels (GBR) 2:28:04
    Freya Ross (GBR) 2:28:10
    Alyson Dixon (GBR) 2:29:30
    Louise Damen (GBR) 2:30:00
    Susan Partridge (GBR) 2:30:46
    Irvette Van Blerk (RSA) 2:31:26
    Cassie Fien (AUS) 2:38:53
    Jess Coulson (GBR) Debut
    Charlotte Purdue (GBR) Debut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Looks to be another unbelievable line-up for the London Marathon again this year on the women's side. Men's should be released in the next week and I'm anticipating something special there as well.

Virgin Money London Marathon 2016 women's elite field and personal bests:
    Tigist Tufa (ETH) 2:21:52
    Mary Keitany (KEN) 2:18:37
    Gladys Cherono (KEN) 2:19:25
    Aselefech Mergia (ETH) 2:19:31
    Florence Kiplagat (KEN) 2:19:44
    Mare Dibaba (ETH) 2:19:52
    Priscah Jeptoo (KEN) 2:20:14
    Feyse Tadese (ETH) 2:20:27
    Jemima Sumgong (KEN) 2:20:48
    Jessica Augusto (POR) 2:24:25
    Volha Mazuronak (BLR) 2:25:36
    Rkia El Moukim (MAR) 2:26:33
    Diana Lobacevske (LTU) 2:28:03
    Irvette Van Blerk (RSA) 2:31:26
    Cassie Fien (AUS) 2:38:53
    Jess Coulson (GBR) Debut

I wonder will some be keeping their powder dry for Rio and avoiding a spring marathon. Wouldn't surprise me to see another surprise Olympic champion if so. Racing 4 months out is not a great idea, though I guess it depends how they race it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I wonder will some be keeping their powder dry for Rio and avoiding a spring marathon. Wouldn't surprise me to see another surprise Olympic champion if so. Racing 4 months out is not a great idea, though I guess it depends how they race it.

I'm pretty sure all the East Africans will be running a spring marathon anyway since the idea of the trials was scrapped for them. London seemed to be the defacto trials for them over the years and probably will be the same again this year. They have to make a statement so as not to be forgotten in countries with so much depth. I don't see the Olympics having any affect on the strength of the pointy end of the spring marathons anyway.

It probably goes against having a good Olympic marathon in doing so but they have to be in it and selected to win it in the first place so don't really have a choice.

I'm pretty sure all the East Africans will be running a spring marathon anyway since the idea of the trials was scrapped for them. London seemed to be the defacto trials for them over the years and probably will be the same again this year. They have to make a statement so as not to be forgotten in countries with so much depth. I don't see the Olympics having any affect on the strength of the pointy end of the spring marathons anyway.

It probably goes against having a good Olympic marathon in doing so but they have to be in it and selected to win it in the first place so don't really have a choice.

On paper there was no way Kenya would not win the men's marathon in London 2012, but that is exactly what happened. They really should hold their "trial" in the autumn. I'm not complaining anyway, it makes it more exciting if they arrive in Rio overcooked!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The olympic marathon is very different to the big marathons as its an actual race, this plays to other people strengths. Kipsang admitted he got it totaly wrong that day.

The Winner that year ran a spring marathon also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Jess Coulson (GBR) Debut

I don't think anyone has been given a Rio place already, so three places up for grabs. What do you do if you are Sonia or Freya?

Assume that no more than one other person will beat your time, so spend the night in the Tower Hotel and then have a lie in and nervously watch the race on telly?
    Head out to Greenwich and just hang off the tail of the first person in the list from Louise Damen down, if they are below 2:30 pace at the 2nd time past the Tower of London then drop out and go for an early bath, if they are on pace then put the hammer down and beat them.

It's a risky move for the top three in the list to run, but it's just as risky for them not to run.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has been given a Rio place already, so three places up for grabs. What do you do if you are Sonia or Freya?

Assume that no more than one other person will beat your time, so spend the night in the Tower Hotel and then have a lie in and nervously watch the race on telly?
    Head out to Greenwich and just hang off the tail of the first person in the list from Louise Damen down, if they are below 2:30 pace at the 2nd time past the Tower of London then drop out and go for an early bath, if they are on pace then put the hammer down and beat them.

It's a risky move for the top three in the list to run, but it's just as risky for them not to run.

They were talking about that on marathon talk a few months ago. Some were saying thats their plan!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They were talking about that on marathon talk a few months ago. Some were saying thats their plan!

Alyson Dixon has the easiest decision as she has to run and she has to race all out from the gun. Louise Damen and the rest have to beat her and her time. If they are all running and in good condition that could make for a very good race as there isn't actually much difference between them. If you had the seven of them all coming down The Mall at the same time it would be awesome, they would all be blown to pieces for Rio of course, but would be a good race to watch in London.

Alyson Dixon has the easiest decision as she has to run and she has to race all out from the gun. Louise Damen and the rest have to beat her and her time. If they are all running and in good condition that could make for a very good race as there isn't actually much difference between them. If you had the seven of them all coming down The Mall at the same time it would be awesome, they would all be blown to pieces for Rio of course, but would be a good race to watch in London.

Does the first Brit across the line not go thru automatically?

Idiotic selection policy to be honest. 2 spots should be guaranteed (pending a fitness test) by 31 December, as a reward for getting the qualification early, and not leaving things so late.

Idiotic selection policy to be honest. 2 spots should be guaranteed (pending a fitness test) by 31 December, as a reward for getting the qualification early, and not leaving things so late.

Are there many countries leaving it that late? Wonder what the success rate is in the olympic marathon for people that ran a trial in the same year?

• Advertisement

A few days behind but the men's elite field has been released for London and it's a cracking line-up with the current and former world record holders in the marathon, last year's winner Eliud Kipchoge and 5/10k WR holder Kenneisa Bekele. Could be the last throw of the dice for him I'd imagine if he doesn't make the Olympic team. Also some Irish interest in there with Kevin Seaward, Paul Pollock and Stephen Scullion. Bit suprised to see Seaward in there to be honest as I thought he'd be comfortable enough with his QT from Berlin but I suppose it shows that just how much the Irish marathon running has come on since London 2012.

Absolutely awesome field all in and be a cracking race at the front along with the battle for Rio among the Irish.
    Virgin Money London Marathon 2016 elite men and personal bests:
    >
    > Eliud Kipchoge (KEN) 2:04:00
    > Dennis Kimetto (KEN) 2:02:57
    > Wilson Kipsang (KEN) 2:03:23
    > Endeshaw Negesse (ETH) 2:04:52
    > Stanley Biwott (KEN) 2:04:55
    > Kenenisa Bekele (ETH) 2:05:04
    > Tilahun Regassa (ETH) 2:05:27
    > Abera Kuma (ETH) 2:05:56
    > Samuel Tsegay (ERI) 2:07:28
    > Ghirmay Ghebreslassie (ERI) 2:07:47
    > Amanuel Mesel (ERI) 2:08:17
    > Serhiy Lebid (UKR) 2:08:32
    > Arne Gabius (GER) 2:08:33
    > Tewelde Estifanos (ERI) 2:09:16
    > Ghebrezgiabhier Kibrom (ERI) 2:09:36
    > Vitaliy Shafar (UKR) 2:09:58
    > Marcin Chabowski (POL) 2:10:07
    > Scott Overall (GBR) 2:10:55
    > Chris Thompson (GBR) 2:11:14
    > Yuki Sato (JPN) 2:12:12
    > Callum Hawkins (GBR) 2:12:17
    > Nordstad Moen (NOR) 2:12:54
    > Lee Merrien (GBR) 2:13:41
    > Derek Hawkins (GBR) 2:14:04
    > Shawn Forrest (AUS) 2:14:37
    > Kevin Seaward (IRL) 2:14:52
    > Phil Wicks (GBR) 2:15:37
    > Paul Pollock (IRL) 2:15:38
    > Ben Moreau (GBR) 2:15:52
    > Ian Kimpton (GBR) 2:15:55
    > Matthew Hynes (GBR) 2:16:00
    > John Beattie (GBR) 2:16:38
    > Andrew Davies (GBR) 2:16:55
    > Stephen Scullion (IRL) 2:34:33
    > Bedan Karoki (KEN) Debut
    > Gervais Hakizimana (RWA) Debut
    > Jonathan Hay (GBR) Debut
    > Ryan McLeod (GBR) Debut
    > Alejandro Fernandez Martin (ESP) Debut

Why is Seaward running? That is a crazy decision so close to Rio. He is the fastest Irish man so far. He will be going to Rio. He should be targeting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Why is Seaward running? That is a crazy decision so close to Rio. He is the fastest Irish man so far. He will be going to Rio. He should be targeting that.
    London marathon is two weeks after Rotterdam. Maybe he has his name down, just in case? :)

London marathon is two weeks after Rotterdam. Maybe he has his name down, just in case? :)

This is the type of nonsense that could be avoided if the AAI guaranteed a spot to the top 2 at the end of 2015 (pending fitness). So he could well be training for a marathon, aiming to peak in April, then at the last minute not do it. Seems like something which could and should be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

This is the type of nonsense that could be avoided if the AAI guaranteed a spot to the top 2 at the end of 2015 (pending fitness). So he could well be training for a marathon, aiming to peak in April, then at the last minute not do it. Seems like something which could and should be avoided.
    Absolutely. It's crazy. Can you imagine what's going through an athletes mind at this time of year? You train all of your life for one shot at the Olympics. You run an incredible PB, hit the qualifying time, then.... 7 months of nervously waiting to find out if someone's going to knock you off the perch. You're watching all of the social media, reading all of the athletics publications, listening to the rumour mill, trying to find out who's doing what, who's going where, what kind of shape they're in. You should be gradually building up for your Olympic shot, but instead, the paranoia drives you to try to mini-peak in April, while hoping you can side-step the challenge and get back on the Olympic bandwagon.

I know the idea of an Olympic trials is ludicrous, given that we only really have 10-12 hopefuls for the men's race and another 6-7 in the women's race, and don't have a course that can really guarantee times in the qualifying range (for men anyway), but there are a lot of merits to the US trials system. You can for example, qualify for the US Olympic trials with a 65 minute 1/2 marathon (75 for women), and thus avoid the rigors and risk of a full marathon. They have a long qualification window and everybody gets one shot and if you don't make it, then just qualifying for the trials is it's own rewards.

Here's an interesting analysis of the break-down of US triallists, by one of it's hopefuls.

This is an interesting one to add to the list. Craig Mottram is running London and hoping for a Rio Qualifying time.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscribe/news/1/index.html?sourceCode=HSWEB_MRE170_a&mode=premium&dest=http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/more-sports/rio-2016-craig-mottram-wants-to-compete-in-the-marathon-at-the-rio-olympics/news-story/25c00d5a79eb590b684d7660f0d7dad5?memtype=anonymous

Tried to find a better article which is actually readable but can't, that one worked the first time.

Edit: You can access it through this link

https://mobile.twitter.com/RobWhitmill/status/694135260825542660

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Jaysus, just read this on Letsrun from Renato Canova on Kenneissa Bekele. I'd love to see him get selected for Rio but it's probably unlikely. That's an incredible run off what little training he got done.
    Now that the race is over, I can write the truth about the preparation of Kenenisa.

After his injury in Dubai last year, HE DIDN'T RUN FOR 11 MONTHS, till the beginning of 2016, and was in treatment with an equipe of doctors and physios from England. His problem in the left Achilles tendon was almost solved, but he started to have a similar problem in his right tendon.

However, he started jogging at the beginning of January : one session per day, not longer than 1 hour till half of February, when started to increase the volume.

His REAL training started 7 weeks ago (so are practically 6 weeks of preparation).

Two days ago, Kenenisa asked me about the pace in London. When I told him the tartget was 61'45" at half, he told me "it's a little too fast for me, since I'm prepared at 50% only". So, I told him "there is also a second group with target 63' at half", and hi replied "my mind is not ready for running with weak athletes".

This is Kenenisa, and without this type of mentality, NEVER could be Kenenisa in the past.

The guy is really a "monster" under mental and organical point of view, and, if his tendons are ok, can open in the best way the second part of his unbelievable career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Did Mary Keitany hit the deck very easily?
    Mergia tripped up Sumgong and then tripped over her falling body, Mary Keitany seemed to escape this tangle but seemed to slide to the ground very easily. I can't imagine why she might want to fake a fall, but she didn't seem to be running as well as she had been during the earlier part of the race.
    I've watched it over a good few times and it looks like she took a dive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

eliwallach wrote: »
    Did Mary Keitany hit the deck very easily?
    Mergia tripped up Sumgong and then tripped over her falling body, Mary Keitany seemed to escape this tangle but seemed to slide to the ground very easily. I can't imagine why she might want to fake a fall, but she didn't seem to be running as well as she had been during the earlier part of the race.
    I've watched it over a good few times and it looks like she took a dive.

Looked to me like Keitany tripped Sumgong when she tried to cut across in front to get the inside line for the water station and stumbled a little before hitting the deck with Mergia falling over Sumgong. Keitany was sick heading into the race and was hanging off the back fairly early on.

Advertisement