Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Essential Workouts from World Championship Medalists

• 14-08-2015 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Really good article from Runners World for anyone interested. Everything from 800 to Marathon

Link

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Really good article from Runners World for anyone interested. Everything from 800 to Marathon

Link

Sprinters ignored :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Sprinters ignored :(

Its fairly middle distance heavy, which peaked my interest. :D It's a good read anyway. You can hit one or two of these sessions before you get an 800 in next year. That 6 X 200 with 3 minutes recovery (Nick Symmonds) is the exact same 800 pace session we do. Sounds easy on paper but its killer. :eek:

Its fairly middle distance heavy, which peaked my interest. :D It's a good read anyway. You can hit one or two of these sessions before you get an 800 in next year. That 6 X 200 with 3 minutes recovery (Nick Symmonds) is the exact same 800 pace session we do. Sounds easy on paper but its killer. :eek:

I've a cheeky 800 in Beijing on Tuesday week. :)

That 4 x 400 Martinez session is unreal. I'd wonder about that 52 though if she was running solo. That would indicate she'd probably be hitting 51 in a race. Maybe she could. You'd always wonder about splits you're told though, like Dibabas 1:58 at the end of 6x800. I do not believe that one for a second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

That 4 x 400 Martinez session is unreal. I'd wonder about that 52 though if she was running solo. That would indicate she'd probably be hitting 51 in a race. Maybe she could. You'd always wonder about splits you're told though, like Dibabas 1:58 at the end of 6x800. I do not believe that one for a second.

Wow, I had that exact same thought when I read that and was equally suspicious about the Dibaba one. In fairness to Dibaba she did run 3.50 in the 1500 shortly afterwards so at least she backed it up somewhat but 1.58 as a final 800 repeat after running low 2's in the rest is still a bit of a stretch. I wouldn't be surprised if the winner of the 800 did similar times in the heats and the final to win Gold.

Wow, I had that exact same thought when I read that and was equally suspicious about the Dibaba one. In fairness to Dibaba she did run 3.50 in the 1500 shortly afterwards so at least she backed it up somewhat but 1.58 as a final 800 repeat after running low 2's in the rest is still a bit of a stretch. I wouldn't be surprised if the winner of the 800 did similar times in the heats and the final to win Gold.

Many people on letsrun who said they would run 3:45 for 1500 said they couldn't get close to Dibaba's splits. Either she is lying or she is set to run a seriously fast male time soon, and didn't empty the tank at all in Monaco. I'd go for the former.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Brenda usually has someone to pace her through sessions and a 400 from rolling start is not unfathomable especially as her coach (Joe Vigil) regularly throws in all out 400m reps at the end of session.

You always hear rumours of these crazy sessions and to be honest I would say most elites could do these mad ones but they are meaningless on there own. One session will never make an athlete.

Brenda usually has someone to pace her through sessions and a 400 from rolling start is not unfathomable especially as her coach (Joe Vigil) regularly throws in all out 400m reps at the end of session.

You always hear rumours of these crazy sessions and to be honest I would say most elites could do these mad ones but they are meaningless on there own. One session will never make an athlete.

Ahhh, a rolling start. That makes things more believable then. So it's really a 53 from a standing start, which would indicate she'd probably run 52:xx in a 400m race, which is what you'd probably expect from a lot of 1:57 runners.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sorry to dredge an old thread, there is an interview with Dibaba's coach in Athletics weekly
    You will have seen the workout, 6x800m, but [how it was reported] was not exactly how she did it. She did six: 2:04, 2:03, 2:04, 2:03, 2:02, 1:58.
    Four minutes recovery , not two minutes, as they said. There was another workout, the last one before going to Beijing: 4x1500m in 4:06, 4:04, 4:03, 4:02 with 4-5 minutes of recovery.

Advertisement