Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self locking barriers

• 03-08-2015 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

Thinking of installing a few pins of self locking barriers for managing feeding of calved cows. Was chatting to the lads from teemore today at the show and the Jordanian ones they sell are very impressive. The only other manufacturer of self locking barriers I know of is Wilson Agri.

Just wondering about pros and cons of both.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Thinking of installing a few pins of self locking barriers for managing feeding of calved cows. Was chatting to the lads from teemore today at the show and the Jordanian ones they sell are very impressive. The only other manufacturer of self locking barriers I know of is Wilson Agri.

I believe they are very noisey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Reggie. wrote: »

Absolutely Reggie, have them in one bay here, luckily it's in an outside yard. The noise is constant, would drive me mad anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Justjens

If you want noise get the Performance Steel ones!!

http://www.persteel.com/Barriers.html

I have a couple of the Jordanian ones on an outside farm and they have rubber stops on them and are considerably quieter, and don't seem to flex as much when I have seven cows locked.

The best system is the one that you can release a single animal if you have to in an emergency, if you let them all go you'll never get them back in again that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Have them in one shed here and never noticed the noise off them at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭annubis

have jourdain ones and never notice them really, as someone said the rubber seems to stop them making too much noise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

What price are they

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

valtra2 wrote: »
    What price are they

Jourdain are €135/7 or per bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

The self locking barrier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Dawggone wrote: »

That's cheaper than the normal diagonal barrier here.
    Rip off Republic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

Rip off Republic

Jourdain are french iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭skoger

The ones we have are by agritubel, a french crowd. There's a company in Fermanagh sells them. Once you get them you'll never look back. You can AI, scan, TB test, dose and separate an animal with them. You'll rarely get a calf coming out through them and dirtying the silage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Jourdain are french iirc.

Dawg is farming in France.
    Iirc the Jordain barriers are not around 300e here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭skoger

Are you sure that's right? When we built our shed in 07 the self locking ones were an extra €100 or so on the plain diagonals (admittedly that was during the big grant when prices were high)

Dawg is farming in France.
    Iirc the Jordain barriers are not around 300e here

That's what I was saying.... €135 in France cause no overseas transport required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Rip off Republic

Agritubel are €115/7 and are much better because they are adjustable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Anyone chance making their own ?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

have the latest model jourdain ones here. very happy with them, no noise due to the rubber stops. On other models i have seen sometimes the stops don't fall down and you have to try put it down by hand - disaster cow backs away. doesn't happen with mine.

Make sure you put the support in the middle though well down into the concrete, 7 big cows will make a hoop of it otherwise.

Agritubel are €115/7 and are much better because they are adjustable.

Think they're the ones I have. Got them from dessie donohoe. I have 5 space ones along with 1.2m gate between slats and creep. Can stall an animal from either side if needs be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

C0N0R wrote: »
    Have them in one shed here and never noticed the noise off them at all!

Do you wear ear muffs when using the chainsaw? Sorry...

DO YOU WEAR EAR MUFFS WHEN USING THE CHAINSAW?!!!

Bullocks wrote: »
    Anyone chance making their own ?

All the French barriers are made out of a fairly thin wall sprung steel so are light and strong. I have no centre anchor and seven cows can give them a fair shake when they see the vet coming!

If you were to make them out of blueband pipe the materials alone would cost the same as ready made ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

with the Jourdain barrier. Can you release a single animal from the barrier and keep the rest locked in. It would make live allot easier trying to get cows in and out of the shed at calving time and for dozing.

The main reason I am thinking of getting them though is to stop the bullying when feeding meal. I always supplement cows after they calf until ai'd but the older cows bully the younger cows back and prevent them from eating. If i can lock them in i can throw extra meal in front of thinner cows or less in front of fatter cows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

We have them in a rented shed. Guy who owns farm installed them. I tried to test in them the first year as he said they were the dogs nuts. After about 20 cows we released them and ran through the race. They are an injury risk. They haven't been used since 160 of them idle, some waste of money

I can see a place for them in a span or two to ai or blood a cow but a full shed I can't see the value especially with the feed space lost.

Btw they are Jordain and very good to catch a cow and while they look light are in fact very strong with more danger of damage from the loader than the cows

with the Jourdain barrier. Can you release a single animal from the barrier and keep the rest locked in.

Not a great picture, but the locking system works by turning the top bar 180*, there are notches pressed into it and then nylon stoppers (they normally just slide along the bar) on the moving part of barrier fall into them. To release a single animal you just have to knock up the nylon stopper.

2012shed019_zpsd17256f8.jpg

Justjens wrote: »
    Not a great picture, but the locking system works by turning the top bar 180*, there are notches pressed into it and then nylon stoppers (they normally just slide along the bar) on the moving part of barrier fall into them. To release a single animal you just have to knock up the nylon stopper.

Lovely little setup there lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Have O Donovan locking barriers here,and would not be without them!
    Everything,(testing,scanning,dosing,etc) is done in them!
    Way safer,faster,and less hassle than the crush

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

Justjens wrote: »

What's the gate hanging off the outside of the shed for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Have 1 jourian one in a bay, they are the dogs bollox when dealing with suckers. Ideal for us as we do a bit of double suckling as I can bale up the cow till she gets used to the new calf. Also very good for handling the cows if they have mastitis or stuff. Also very handy for dosing as I can catch a few at a time.

I have the centres held with an angle bracket welded to the middle and bolted to the stub wall as there is a bit of flexing.

Being able to open one at a time is very handy but you need to be careful in case you catch your fingers. Sometimes I need to have to put a rope on it to pull it closed if the cow won't drop her head enough. Noise wise they can be a bit annoying but the rubber softens it a good bit and unless your next to the house all the time it's not an issue.

If you have cows then it's worth having one but put in in a bay with a gate next to it as sometimes you ll need it to get the cow in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Absolutely Reggie, have them in one bay here, luckily it's in an outside yard. The noise is constant, would drive me mad anyway!

Are you living in the shed? Ha ha

rushvalley wrote: »
    What's the gate hanging off the outside of the shed for?

Built the shed for the autumn calvers and wanted the calves to have access to some grass over the winter so needed an opening for the calves.

The gate is my adaptation of a standard creep gate fixed into a frame bolted onto the outside.

It also has the added bonus that if I need to do something to the calves I hunt them outside, close the creep gate, bring them around the back of the shed into the collecting yard with the crush, and do my job without having to worry about the cows!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Anyone ever buy a Single locking bull barrier? Extra wide for a bull. Gibney are the only crowd I can find that do them on the websights. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭angusangus

Anyone ever buy a Single locking bull barrier? Extra wide for a bull. Gibney are the only crowd I can find that do them on the websights. Cheers

Websights? Interested! Are these like binoculars for looking at computer screens from a distance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

{edit}

Now now....:rolleyes: I'll have to start calling you Angry4simmental!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Am sure condons would make up one

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

angusangus wrote: »
    Websights? Interested! Are these like binoculars for looking at computer screens from a distance?
    Disgraceful !should be banned

[mod]Try as I might, I can't find the humour in the first post and the second is threading on 'back-seat moderating' ground...... Beware yourself![/mod]

Go fcuk yourself,

Folks, we have a 'Report Post' facility to avoid this..................

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Seriously? Not on.

Do NOT respond to this on thread. PM me if you want to discuss it.

Kovu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Well that escalated nicely :D

Seriously? Not on.

Do NOT respond to this on thread. PM me if you want to discuss it.

Kovu.
    But I taught it was ok to say this?
    Very sorry

But I taught it was ok to say this?
    Very sorry

To a mod warning on thread? No. And did you not read ''Do not reply to this on thread''?

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Well that escalated nicely :D

Dammit missed it :(

• Advertisement

Got it here anyway. €188+vat. Fully adjustable heavy steel.

Some neck on that fella

Some neck on that fella

*Looks at neck*

*Looks at Reggie*

1.jpg

Kovu wrote: »
    *Looks at neck*

*Looks at Reggie*

1.jpg
    Ah been called worse

Some neck on that fella

Big boy allright, (not mine). Our lad was in the other week with the cows and I noticed his head would be lucky to fit out between two of the normal feed spaces!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

Big boy allright, (not mine). Our lad was in the other week with the cows and I noticed his head would be lucky to fit out between two of the normal feed spaces!

I thought you had gotten urself a proper bull:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Anyone with the Jourdian barriers find that they bend with force from 7 cows pushing against them? They seem very light and I was wondering would extra support in the middle be required.

I am thinking of getting them but concerned they will bend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Anyone with the Jourdian barriers find that they bend with force from 7 cows pushing against them? They seem very light and I was wondering would extra support in the middle be required.

There is extra support in the middle of them. There's a short stub tubular bar middle ways on them that you are supposed to sink in the concrete or attach to the wall. I welded a plate on mine in the middle and bolted it through the stub wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Tyson Lannister

have them with a couple of years, make sure you put the support in and they won't budge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Lads,

Putting up a five bay suckler shed with will have a creep and calving pens with a crush as well. I'm wondering are locking barriers any use? They're not majorly expensive but I find it hard to find a practical use for them. I'll probably be going with O'Donnell's for the pens, gates and barriers. I looked at their barriers and I don't think they'd be that easy to lock when cows are feeding. Jourdain look a neater job. Anyone have O'Donnell ones or opinion on them in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

Lads,

Putting up a five bay suckler shed with will have a creep and calving pens with a crush as well. I'm wondering are locking barriers any use? They're not majorly expensive but I find it hard to find a practical use for them. I'll probably be going with O'Donnell's for the pens, gates and barriers. I looked at their barriers and I don't think they'd be that easy to lock when cows are feeding. Jourdain look a neater job. Anyone have O'Donnell ones or opinion on them in general?

Have jourdain barriers here. Can't fault them at all other than they don't get much use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement