Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BVD neg herd status

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

ganmo wrote: »
    That's not good
    Did ya tell them?
    will ring them in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Grecco wrote: »
    You don`t have to tag him, theirs a sampler tag you can buy and all it is is just the sampler part of the tag

https://tags.mullinahonecoop.ie/ots/spring/selectProducts?execution=e2s2

TST008-lrg.jpg
    I think the parts above are still meant to be used with a tag.
    Read here;
    https://tags.mullinahonecoop.ie/ots/spring/selectProducts?execution=e1s2

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

No your wrong there. I ve used them to resample animals that had so called"empty samples taken from the original tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Grecco wrote:
    No your wrong there. I ve used them to resample animals that had so called"empty samples taken from the original tag.

Do you not have to use a button tag with them?

No just put that part into the tagger and go ahead and tag as usual. The only difference is that you have no tag left in the ear but have a sample.

• Advertisement

No just put that part into the tagger and go ahead and tag as usual. The only difference is that you have no tag left in the ear but have a sample.
    can you order it without the grren tag?

Yes,If I recall correctly they cost about 1 yoyo each

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I have to take a sample off the bull also. A pure balls. I will be selling him at end of summer. By then, he will have 4 tags, two identifiers and two samplers-1 bvd and 1 beef genomics one.

Edit: just read about the sampler tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

jimini0 wrote: »
    Got the text too. Whoop e doo da
    What's the big deal about telling us we have negative bvd status. Sure don't we know that ourselves all ready. The 60c deduction is nothing. Unless you have a few hundred or more calves to tag.
    Why don't they take the 60c and use it to kill every pi calf in the country. And once and for all get rid of bvd forever.

It's a bit like the cartel between doctors and pharmacists they are making money selling vaccines for bvd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

90 cent per BVD sample savings, by having a BVD free herd status here

• Advertisement

Tagged stock bull today, to comply with scheme. one part of the greentag stayed in his ear and the other stayed in the tagger:eek: not sure if theres a sample in the needle part, will post tomorrow and wait and see.

I had a similar thing happen. Cripes tagging a bull isnt an easy job. The Bull knew what was coming and was right wicked about it.
    Pure madness part of the scheme. The bull could become a carrier an hour after tagging him. Makes no sense, it should be the calf only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I did the selected cows in the field for the first part of the Genomics scheme.
    Sure it was easier than getting the group in and separating them etc.
    One was left the same as your bull as she pulled just as it snapped shut, the sample was still in it though as you can see it with a good torch.

One of those old ear notchers would do a clean second job on the animal and just poke a bit up the needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah Kovu, you'll have ARAN onto you for cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Would the bull not have be negative, would a PI bull not have to sire a PI calf ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I had a similar thing happen. Cripes tagging a bull isnt an easy job. The Bull knew what was coming and was right wicked about it.
    Pure madness part of the scheme. The bull could become a carrier an hour after tagging him. Makes no sense, it should be the calf only

Tagging or blood sampling the bull is the last piece of the jigsaw if he hasn't already been tested as a calf.
    He could become transiently infected after you test him but he wont become a PI and spread it to cows in calf. Then you have to ask where would he get it from an hour after testing him. If he did get it after it would effect his fertility big time.

Testing the calves was chosen as you're actually testing the calf and the cow at the same time. A PI cow will always have a PI calf. But then 1 PI animal if mixed with cows 3 months incalf ( in optimum conditions) could make PI's of every unborn calf.

It's a good scheme if done properly and we are already seeing the benefits with improved fertility and better thrive in cattle.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

If any deserves a crank call it's this boyo.
    Simon Coveney here i'll be down there in the morning.:D

Edit I wonder if what he's doing is illegal or the stock must be going for dogfood.
    Still he'd want a dept official overseeing the operation.

Actually the whole naming and shaming of people holding on to PI's would be a good question for the IFA canditates.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

You'd just love to be bounding this pr1*k with ears.:mad: We should spam him with calls.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Is he legit? He'd have to be, wouldn't he? Or am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Lads a bit of over reaction, they're slaughtered immediately, at least some guys might give them to him instead of moving on that's if he's legit..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Lads a bit of over reaction, they're slaughtered immediately, at least some guys might give them to him instead of moving on that's if he's legit..

It's still wrong Kev ,pi calves need to be slaughtered through official channels ,if there owner keeps them he needs his herd locked and restricted and neighbours informed .this is a great scheme but ran by a bunch of blundering idiots who seem unable to know how to run it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Just re texting the bull. I got a text saying to have negitive free herd I had to text the bull. I already had him done from the start of the scheme so was scratching my head. Anyhow for the small saving I would make on the price of testing, I said I'd leave tagging him until the testing in May when he was in the crush anyhow and bit of help around. About 3 weeks after the first text I got another saying I now have a negitive herd status. They must have found the original result for the bull!
    Did ye not all have to do the bull the first mandatory year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Just re texting the bull. I got a text saying to have negitive free herd I had to text the bull. I already had him done from the start of the scheme so was scratching my head. Anyhow for the small saving I would make on the price of testing, I said I'd leave tagging him until the testing in May when he was in the crush anyhow and bit of help around. About 3 weeks after the first text I got another saying I now have a negitive herd status. They must have found the original result for the bull!

He's some bull to be able to manage a phone with hooves ;)

That's a strange one though, did you have any other calves kept close to the year mark that could have been confused with the stock bull?

our bull is around 10 years old. so scheme wasnt in place when we bought him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Kovu wrote: »

That's a strange one though, did you have any other calves kept close to the year mark that could have been confused with the stock bull?
    Isn't modern technology great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

That add has been on the go a good while now. I meant to post about it on here ages ago to see what people thought. I think its a disgrace. Farms with pi's should be locked until calf is removed and slaughtered and only opened again until all clear. I know farmers wont like to be locked down but if it leads to a nationwide eradication of bvd it can only be a good thing for the future of farming in Ireland. As I said in a previous post the 60 or 90 cent saving on testing should be used for such lock downs. Compensate farmers for the calf (give them a half decent price for the calf) and further testing. At least if farmers feel they are getting proper compensation they will be less likely to hold onto the calfs and get them slaughtered through the proper channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Kovu wrote: »

He was easier to teach how to text than the auld pair!
    Ya there would have been calves still around from him but they would have been 10 months roughly, and completely different tag numbers. Also they were all squeezed so no other bull to confuse with.
    Strange one alright but they were wrong looking for him to be tagged again anyhow so All's well that ends well as they say

Advertisement