Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chainsaw hand file or electric sharpner

Options
  • 03-02-2016 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

I got a new chain for my saw I normally just use a hand file. I put the saw in a vice 3 rubs on each tooth turn the saw around and the same on the other side.

I bought a Lidl electric chainsaw sharpner at 1/2 price. Are they any good ? I have no idea how to use it so I'll probably use the old chain to
    practic on. I don't want to damage my new chain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I bought an electric grinder sharpener years back and gave it a go. I found it was very quick, and was good on a job if i needed a very quick deeper sharpen of a stone blunted/damaged chain. But in general it took a bit too much too quickly and any none accurate passes damaged the chain or blunted it, so I gave up on it. It may just have been my tecknique or lack thereof.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Blackcurrants

The electric sharpener will temper the metal and the chain will eventually not be able to hold an edge after a while. If you use the files you can be just as quick and can sharpen anywhere unlike the stone. Also you get the most out of your chains with a file.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

The electric sharpener will temper the metal and the chain will eventually not be able to hold an edge after a while. If you use the files you can be just as quick and can sharpen anywhere unlike the stone. Also you get the most out of your chains with a file.

In complete agreement

Electric, or other motorised 'grinders' should never be let near a saw chain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭High bike

invicta wrote: »
    In complete agreement

Electric, or other motorised 'grinders' should never be let near a saw chain
    Agreed I usually give each tooth 5 strokes of the file and then turn it and do the other side,15 min job and does the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Blackcurrants

Keep practicing with the file and you'll be much quicker than using the machine. Used to use the grinder on my .404 chain for the firewood processor and you'd only get to use half the chain before the tempering ruined the edge and it's a relatively slow process. One slip and serious damage to your chain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

I have been using a file for years, so I think I'll keep using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Stupid question coming up....
    Is there a difference in the files?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

Yes, different thickness. I got a new chain and needed to get a smaller size file.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 owain

If you know what you are doing with an electric sharpner they work great. They should barely skim the tooth just touching it for a split second, not getting it anywhere near hot enough to temper the metal. I'm sure files work fine but the amount of people who bring me chains that are totally ruined from them attempting it with a file is mind blowing. I guess what I'm saying is if you know what your doing either work fine. But for me electric all day every day

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

I give each tooth 2 strokes of the handfile each time I refill with petrol. It only takes a couple of minutes and the chain is always sharp.

• Advertisement
Advertisement