Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American telly in Ireland?

Options
  • 27-01-2016 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hopefully someone will be able to lend a hand here. Keep getting conflicting info but... Have been living in the States for a number of years, but with the arrival of our daughter, myself and the wife are planning on moving back to the oul' sod. Wondering if my shiny new telly - a 55" 4K Sony (XBR 55X850B) can come along? It does seem that the days of PAL and NTSC are gone, with 720 and 1080 being a global standard, but be concerned about potential refresh rate issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

Obviously it won't have the correct tuners for Saorview/Free to air but there should be no issue with what is being displayed from something like a Sky box.

The 50Hz/60Hz refresh rate shouldnt be an issue - they use the same panels across the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

Obviously it won't have the correct tuners for Saorview/Free to air but there should be no issue with what is being displayed from something like a Sky box.

The 50Hz/60Hz refresh rate shouldnt be an issue - they use the same panels across the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ubermick

Cheers, D. I'm torn about whether or not I want to cut the cord so to speak when I come back, and thinking I'll do most of my watching via stuff like Apple TV and the like. That said, I'd be bollixed for terrestrial telly in that regard, so likely answer would be a basic Sky or cable subscription, augmented by streaming boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Wouldn't the voltage be different too? Not sure if you'd be able to plug it into the mains here without some kind of transformer. That definitely was the case years ago, not sure if it applies with modern electronics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i did this 10 years ago with a big old rptv, a 48inch monstrocity. had to pipe s-video from a sky box into a PC where i did pal to ntsc conversion, output over component as the tv had no digital inputs. big transformer as it didn't accept 220v.

but in the end it worked fine as a stop gap until we built a house and i got my proper cinema room

the downside was i decided to give it away for nothing as it owed me nothing. had a waiting list of hundreds on adverts, but took forever for someone to collect it as that was the only condition i put on it. some guy took it for his xbox, and it would have worked perfectly with that. was very pissed off later to see him trying to flog it for 200 euros on adverts. really poor form i thought

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i did this 10 years ago with a big old rptv, a 48inch monstrocity. had to pipe s-video from a sky box into a PC where i did pal to ntsc conversion, output over component as the tv had no digital inputs. big transformer as it didn't accept 220v.

but in the end it worked fine as a stop gap until we built a house and i got my proper cinema room

the downside was i decided to give it away for nothing as it owed me nothing. had a waiting list of hundreds on adverts, but took forever for someone to collect it as that was the only condition i put on it. some guy took it for his xbox, and it would have worked perfectly with that. was very pissed off later to see him trying to flog it for 200 euros on adverts. really poor form i thought

Advertisement