Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice 10K-ish route in Limerick?

Options
  • 30-01-2016 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi all

Girls weekend away next weekend in Limerick and to offset the indulgences we're going to include a run or two. Rather than just running around the streets can anyone recommend a pleasant 10K route? We're staying in the city centre but could drive out a few minutes either if it's worth it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

If you look up the Condell Road on google maps there is a nice Tarmac path alongside it. Out and back is about 4 miles from anywhere in the city centre. It is alongside a busy enough road but has the river Shannon on the other with nice views of the city on the way back. On the return leg you could turn left before crossing back over the bridge and follow the Shannon over to the bridge at St. John's castle, cross the bridge and back towards town. Not very exact but you won't be far off 10k

Would normally recommend the trail out to UL but that's closed off at the moment. The UL campus itself is nice to wander around for a 10k. Cratloe Woods are another option but definitely hilly!

If you're down in time UL has a parkrun... Might be fun if there is a few of you...

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Something like the route below is the Condell Road loop that JohnDozer talks about.
    https://connect.garmin.com/activity/915407077

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Would you not map out a few on mapmyrun? Or is that frowned upon here in the running forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

If your staying in the city centre than I would really recommend running along the River Shannon. I often run down by The Clarion hotel, across the bridge and go down Clancy Strand passing the Strand hotel. Then go across the bridge by king John castle and come back down the other side of the river. It's probably 3km in total so you could do a few loops. Beautiful scenery though in Limerick by the Shannon and with King John's Castle, rowers on tbe river etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭SeanPuddin_

As mentioned the path from town to UL is closed unfortunately. My favourites:
    1. Condell Road, NCR, Clancy's Strand, Thomand Bridge and Castle, Arthurs and Howleys Quay is a nice 10K run in the city centre.
    2. Otherwise St Mary's Cathedral, Corbally, path from Mill Road / Athlunkard Bridge to Guinness Canal bridge and follow the towpath back into town.
    3. Out in UL you can cross the Shannon on their two bridges, plenty of space for 10K. Take a look at today's Milford 10k route for example.

OpenStreetMap is very handy for proper off road paths and trails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

JohnDozer wrote: »
    If you look up the Condell Road on google maps there is a nice Tarmac path alongside it. Out and back is about 4 miles from anywhere in the city centre. It is alongside a busy enough road but has the river Shannon on the other with nice views of the city on the way back. On the return leg you could turn left before crossing back over the bridge and follow the Shannon over to the bridge at St. John's castle, cross the bridge and back towards town. Not very exact but you won't be far off 10k

Would normally recommend the trail out to UL but that's closed off at the moment. The UL campus itself is nice to wander around for a 10k. Cratloe Woods are another option but definitely hilly!

If you're down in time UL has a parkrun... Might be fun if there is a few of you...

Thanks for this! Looks good. I sounded out the parkrun and got a resounding negative! Still, the run will do :)

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Something like the route below is the Condell Road loop that JohnDozer talks about.
    https://connect.garmin.com/activity/915407077

Perfect, thanks!

Itzy wrote: »
    Would you not map out a few on mapmyrun? Or is that frowned upon here in the running forum?

Hadn't thought of mapmyrun - I guess that's what I should have done. I had a look at Strava but no joy. I need to get up to speed better on what these running apps do. Thanks.

panda100 wrote: »
    If your staying in the city centre than I would really recommend running along the River Shannon. I often run down by The Clarion hotel, across the bridge and go down Clancy Strand passing the Strand hotel. Then go across the bridge by king John castle and come back down the other side of the river. It's probably 3km in total so you could do a few loops. Beautiful scenery though in Limerick by the Shannon and with King John's Castle, rowers on tbe river etc.

Sounds nice Panda and might suit the runners in our group who might be a little tired from the night before and want to cut it a little short...

As mentioned the path from town to UL is closed unfortunately. My favourites:
    1. Condell Road, NCR, Clancy's Strand, Thomand Bridge and Castle, Arthurs and Howleys Quay is a nice 10K run in the city centre.
    2. Otherwise St Mary's Cathedral, Corbally, path from Mill Road / Athlunkard Bridge to Guinness Canal bridge and follow the towpath back into town.
    3. Out in UL you can cross the Shannon on their two bridges, plenty of space for 10K. Take a look at today's Milford 10k route for example.

OpenStreetMap is very handy for proper off road paths and trails.

Will check those out. Thanks Sean.

• Advertisement
Advertisement