Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galen Rupp to run U.S.A marathon trials

• 28-01-2016 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

Pretty exciting news. He ran the qualifying time in a pretty low key half marathon a few months ago so there has been speculation since. With Ryan Halls retirement are we about to see the next great American marathon runner? What do people see him doing? 10k/Marathon double in Rio? The race on 13th Feb is pretty interesting with Rupp, Ritzenhein and a couple of wild cards like Diego Estrada and Luke Puskedra. Looking forward to this.
    http://www.si.com/more-sports/2016/01/28/galen-rupp-will-run-olympic-trials-marathon-debut-los-angeles

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Should be interesting alright. I can see him doing the 10k/marathon double as it's something Salazar used to do, not in the Olympics but he often ran hard 10k's in a very short timeframe before a marathon. Probably a good move for Rupp as well as to be honest, he doesn't have the last lap speed to kick with those guys in the 5000m.

Does he have it in him to be a great marathoner? I don't know and Farah's performance in London wouldn't exactly fill me with confidence. They always go on about how strong Rupp is on Letsrun and how he gets better as the distance gets longer but I don't see it, he reminds me of Farah but just slower even if the times don't suggest it. Rupp is a 3:50 indoor miler at the end of it all and there's not many guys out there with that speed that have suceeded at the marathon and never on the first go. Running the trials as a first marathon is probably a good decision as the pace will be slow in World terms so he'll have more room for comfort and see how he feels, it's easy to drop down to the 5/10k double if he doesn't feel it so there's not much to lose for him. I suppose that's the beauty of the marathon, you can't be sure how someone will react to it but I would say he will be a non-factor in the Olympics if he makes it.

Meb is another guy to watch out for, the trials aren't going to be a cakewalk for Rupp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Yeah completely forgot about Meb, what a legend and still one of the favourites to make it. Cant see this race being like the last trials, Hall took it out at what would have been suicidal pace for all but a handful of the field and it splintered down to 4 quite quickly with Ritz falling away to cramp to leave a group of Hall, Meb and Abdi to work together and finish it out. I dont know that there is as agressive a front runner at that level in the field now which really helps Rupp in his first marathon. In retrospect Mo made a mistake in his first as he didnt go with the lead group and by the time his lot got through half way he had nobody to pace with him and work to try and catch the lead pack so he was very isolated out to canary wharf and on the way back in. Not saying Mo would have contended seriously but id bet he runs 2.07 in the first group. There will be nobody running 2.03 anyway in the US trials! Its took sub 2.10 to make the team last time but id say it will be slower again without Hall to push. All this suits Rupp but of course its his first so who knows how he reacts!

Advertisement