Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Andoid (Galaxy S3) - couple of questions

Options
  • 03-07-2012 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm a long time iPhone user, and I've just made the jump to Android with a lovely new Galaxy S3. Love the phone, it's awesome, and from just 2 days with it kicked the crap outta my iPhone 4S (and this from a guy who got the 4S the day it launched in the UK!)

Anyway, got a couple of questions I hope you guys can help with:

1) There appear to be a couple of duplicate folders. Eg what's the difference between the folder "Pictures" and folder "Images", between "Videos" and "Movies", and between "Podcast" and "Podcasts"?

2)On the iPhone, there was an entry for me in the Contacts list that had all my info on it, eg my home address for use with Siri etc. When I ported my contacts to my Google account, this entry for me was carried over too, which is fine. However on the Androids contact list there is now a second entry with my name at the top of the contacts list under the heading "ME". But it only appears to be just my name - no picture, no phone number, email address, no data at all, and I don't appear to have the option to edit it or delete it. It has a description as "Local Profile". Can I / should I do anything with this?

2)Probably just a technical problem, but when I try to use the samsung headphones that came with the phone there's some odd behaviour. Eg when listening to music (either through the native player or DoubleTwist) I'm only getting sound of the left earpiece, but when playing Netflix or YouTube I get sound out of both earpieces. I tested it with a set of iPhone headphones and they seemed to work fine (though I'd prefer not to use them as the button controls on them don't work properly with the S3). Does anyone know what the problem is here or is it just some faulty kit? Can anyone recommend a good set of earphones, preferably with controls which work with the phone?

4) A question on Apex Launcher. I understand that this is a tool to allow you a wide range of customisation options for your home screens, but not sure exactly how. I've spent ages over the last two days getting all my essential apps downloaded and widgets set up across the various screens in a way that I liked. Then I heard about Apex Launcher and thought I could use that to further customise my set up. However it seems I misunderstood what it does. It doesn't let you customise what you've already got set up - it completely replaces that and you have to start all over again with blank home screens, positioning your apps and widgets, is that correct? I'd love a way of basically automatically mirroring the lay out of all the apps and widgets I have on the default launcher within Apex and then take the tweaking from there. Is that possible?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

1) Different apps file their data in different directories so depending on what podcast app you use for example some may save to Podcasts others could have their own directory.

2)You should be able to Merge the "Me" contact with your own name. Could on HTC anyway.

3) Sounds like faulty headphones. Afraid I cant recommend a set with controls (enever really use them)

4)Launchers like Apex are full homescreen and app drawer replacements. You pretty much have to start from scratch with new ones as they might have different abilities, layouts, requirements then what theyre replacing. I find it easier to start with scratch with them anyway as what works for stock might not work for Apex (such as taking advantage of the scrolling dock and customiseable grid layout)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I'm finding the file management of media really annoying. It seems there's pictures and videos being stored all over the place. For example the "Nature" video that comes preloaded on the phone is in one folder, when I moved some home videos from my pc to the phone they ended up in a different folder, and then when I recorded a video on the phone itself that ended up in a third folder!

Also, when I open the video player app all the videos are playing that short preview loop, except for the one which I recorded on the phone. That file name is also blue while all the others (which are playing previews) are white. Anyone know what's happening there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Regarding the 'ME' part, to edit it, just press and hold for a second and you will be able to edit then.

If you want to merge this with your other contact just select the other one first and hit menu, then select Join Contact and pick what you want to join.

new videos take a little time to start looping.

When you moved videos, did you make sure to place them in the same folder or just drop them to the SD?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

There is/was a launcher migration app that tried to copy everything over with varying degrees of success.

If I change I now I just take a screenshot of the old one as I like it so I can look back!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

Chet T16 wrote: »
    There is/was a launcher migration app that tried to copy everything over with varying degrees of success.

If I change I now I just take a screenshot of the old one as I like it so I can look back!

It's called Desk Migrate

• Advertisement
Advertisement