Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever Been Arrested?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

No,I usually shoot my way out of such situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

i beat the piss out of some fella I seen attacking two girls when I ws out on the town, Turned out they robbed his phone nd he was only trying to get it back , was looking at prison time. They thought I was a phone robber too.
    He was a foreigner and went back home after like the 15th time the case was put back . Got off .
    I thought I had been arrested for being drunk in public until I got the summons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Conor84 wrote: »
    That's the other part I still have to come. Would be gutted if it made the papers. Only been in court for a motoring fine before.

Your solicitor usually will know the reporters and could ask them as a favour not to print anything. That's what my fella tried but he said that it was so funny, they printed it anyway!

Either way, it's not the end of the world: these things always blow over. We were all young and silly once (despite some of the holier than thou attitudes you might come across...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Not personally. Two of my friends got arrested 2 weeks in a row a few weeks ago. One was taking a picture of the guards and got nabbed, they're still refusing to give his passport back I think.

Thats not illegal at all o.o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

That's the other part I still have to come. Would be gutted if it made the papers. Only been in court for a motoring fine before.

Are you actually being charged? How serious was this row? I thought they usually just gave cautions for this kind of thing which does not require a court appearance. What did they say to you when they were letting you go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Been in court twice for TV licence
    Could you live with the shame??

Two speeding tickets, hands up I deserved them

Multiple house parties broken up by gardaí calling to the door. Neighbours hated me lol

Never been arrested though

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Corruptable

Nope, never had any negative encounters with the law.

That said, as we all now know, if you attempt on stop a criminal you will suffer arrest, charge, a likely indictment and a jury trial costing in the region of six figures to defend against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Are you actually being charged? How serious was this row? I thought they usually just gave cautions for this kind of thing which does not require a court appearance. What did they say to you when they were letting you go?

Yeah I got charged and have a court date in a few weeks and had to sign a bail bond. I know someone who got a caution for something similar so I'm not sure why I didn't get that - would be a lot better for me. I put up a question in the Legal forum and someone posted up a document explaining the caution system but have to read it properly later.

I have a juvenile caution from 10 years ago when I was 17 and got a motoring fine in court so don't know if that makes a difference.

The row wasn't that serious at all but I got a bit thick with the Garda when they came so didn't help myself. I got 3 charge sheets when I got out - drunk and a danger to myself and others, threatening and abusive behaviour and resisting a Garda :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Make sure you get a solicitor and make sure and get them on time i.e. not the morning of the court.
    Lord knows you sound remorseful but you need to make sure that the judge understands this too.
    I was arrested on a Thu night and left out on £20 bail the next morning (all I had in my pocket). The court was on the following Wednesday and I must say, they were a long few days: all sorts of things go through your mind. But most judges are sensible people and see this kind of thing every day. Hopefully all will go well and it'll be a lecture, a (small) fine and a dismissal. I can also remember the ignominy of having to go to the Bail office in the court collect my £20 afterwards (which was promptly used in the post-court celebrations!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Been in court twice for TV licence
    Could you live with the shame??

How did both work out for you mikemac1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Aye. 3 times.

As for your court appearance: DO NOT turn up to the court without a solicitor. And have enough money on you (bring a few hundred) to make a donation to the poor box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Got arrested last night with a mate of mine, first time both of us have been arrested..coming from Templebar and a group of 8 or 9 lads were slagging off the girls we were with, had a bit of a row but the girls got us to walk away. The lads followed us up the street, continued to slag the two of us and the two girls and we ended up scrapping with four of the lads. 2 guards quickly intervened and 1 of them got a dig. The guards got us on the ground and handcuffed us, the one that got a box was furious, he was walking me over to the car and said in my ear "Wait til wer back at the ****ing station I'm goin to ****in kill ya" ... he sat in the back of the car with me and my mate, we explained how it all kicked off and I told him I was sorry he got a box, I would never intentionally hit a guard, etc. They said they could understand where we were coming from and that he knew I didn't mean to hit him, spent an hour in the cell and they let us go then, gave the two of us adult cautions and told us to stay out of trouble.

Very stupid situation in the first place but it happens with drink, could have been a lot worse but we got off very lightly all things considered. As far as being arrested goes I'd say it was a great experience, guards were very understanding and we were in "The Ritz Carlton of Garda stations" as they put it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Got arrested last night with a mate of mine, first time both of us have been arrested..coming from Templebar and a group of 8 or 9 lads were slagging off the girls we were with, had a bit of a row but the girls got us to walk away. The lads followed us up the street, continued to slag the two of us and the two girls and we ended up scrapping with four of the lads. 2 guards quickly intervened and 1 of them got a dig. The guards got us on the ground and handcuffed us, the one that got a box was furious, he was walking me over to the car and said in my ear "Wait til wer back at the ****ing station I'm goin to ****in kill ya" ... he sat in the back of the car with me and my mate, we explained how it all kicked off and I told him I was sorry he got a box, I would never intentionally hit a guard, etc. They said they could understand where we were coming from and that he knew I didn't mean to hit him, spent an hour in the cell and they let us go then, gave the two of us adult cautions and told us to stay out of trouble.

Very stupid situation in the first place but it happens with drink, could have been a lot worse but we got off very lightly all things considered. As far as being arrested goes I'd say it was a great experience, guards were very understanding and we were in "The Ritz Carlton of Garda stations" as they put it :pac:

You're pretty lucky.

I wouldn't like to be explaining to a judge (against the word of a Gard) that you boxed him by mistake. That could have ended up very badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

As a teenager :( but I hope and pray I'm older and less retarted now.
    Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Got brought home by the Guards one night.

A mate of mine was on duty and spotted me going into the local 24-hour garage to get a bag of super noodles, and gave me a lift home in the squad car.

Just as well, I was fncking leathered and it was a 20 minute walk home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

My oul fella had me "arrested" when I was 10 for stealing sweets from the local spar just to teach me a lesson, was interrogated and spent 2 hours in a cell. Traumatising to say the least.

stovelid wrote: »
    You're pretty lucky.

I wouldn't like to be explaining to a judge (against the word of a Gard) that you boxed him by mistake. That could have ended up very badly.

Absolutely, after it happened he said something like "You punched a guard in the face, what do you think the judge is going to say?" ...thought I was well and truly fucked at that point but I was lucky this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

mikom wrote: »
    How did both work out for you mikemac1?

Twas grand
    I was caught, so be it.

Just be straight with the judge over the TV licence and show up with your new one.

Judges don't like messing or long stories. He must have processed forty or so people under an hour, looked very efficent to me.

Like a factory assembly line, they call your name and you go to the top of the room, TV inspector gives a statement on x date I called to mikemacs kip of a flat, An Post solicitor says a few words, judge asks if you have anything to say, you say it, fine given, boom and out the door.

Two hundred euro fine the first time
    Three hundred euro find the second time

I learned my lesson :o

Judges also take things very personally. If you failed to show up to their court it's like a personal insult and a point of disrespect. Which I suppose it is.
    The fine will be doubled on the spot

In other cases they'd issue a warrant to arrest you. Bench warrant? Not sure of the legal term
    Always, always show up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

PrettyBoy wrote: »

Seems like you came across a pretty sound Guard - lucky man. Did you think you were going to get a few slaps when he said what he did at first?

I hope the girls were impressed with your efortts:)

Seems like you came across a pretty sound Guard - lucky man. Did you think you were going to get a few slaps when he said what he did at first?

I hope the girls were impressed with your efortts:)

Wasn't sure what was going to happen when he said it, there were a good few people around as we were being arrested and the guard went right up to my ear and made sure no one else heard him say he was 'going to kill me'..he was absolutely furious at the time, when his colleague went to get into the back of the car with us he stopped him and insisted that he be the one to get in the back beside me..for a second I thought I was definitely going to get a few digs but the guards proved to be decent lads, by the time we pulled up to the station the 5 of us were laughing and joking about the whole thing :p

The girls waited for us, we were only in the station for an hour or so, the whole thing made for a funny night but we don't plan on doing it again any time soon :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement