Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert chemistry!

Options
  • 21-03-2014 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hello!
    Basically, i have to choose my leaving cert subjects really soon! For years i've wanted to be a dietitian, my hearts set on it! The only two colleges in ireland that do it are DIT and Trinity, and both require Chemistry! I'm really bad at chemistry and i really dislike it. I dont know if i wanna do it for my leaving cert knowing i'll most likely struggle at it:(
    Does anyone know how difficult it is? and is it worth it :confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Have you looked into other routes, like a PLC first, then on to DIT? If that's a possibility, then you could drop Chemistry.

Honestly, I hated Chemistry. I was planning to study science in college though, so needed it and Biology.

Ended up getting my lowest result from Chem (c2 in higher level), and tbh that was with a hell of a lot of work put in, I got an F in my mocks :o

If you do not think you can do it, look into other options and ways to get to what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Hi there!

As far as I'm aware, the course is facilitated by both DIT and TCD - therefore there is just the one course.

I study chemistry for LC and it is quite challenging however the questions are similar and if you have enough practice you will be fine.

I would advise and recommend that chemistry should be considered for all who are considering a science course as students always agree that chemistry is the most challenging to pick up.

Recently I was talking to somebody in St Angelas who was doing Home Ec. and they had to do a chemistry module as well!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Burkie94

Not gonna lie, chemistry is pretty hard but the exam is one of the best to study for; similar questions every year, 3 definitely on experiments.
    For example, there're three organic chemistry questions every year with fairly predictable questions.

Anyway, the chemistry teacher in your school could go into more detail about it but my basic point is that as an exam, it's very studyable-for.

Best of luck with the auld leaving cert!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

If you like Chemistry you will not find it challenging, if you don't you'll find it a little bit harder. But don't base your hatred of chemistry on Junior Cert, it is a lot more interesting in the Leaving Cert

Being a dietitian will mean you will have to have a pretty good knowledge of Biochemistry- chemistry being a key word here. As another poster said having a working knowledge of Chemistry going into first year will make your workload a bit easier and you won't be constantly baffled by what's going on.

The exam is very similar every year and the marking scheme is very similar to what you will experience in college-it's either right or it's not. Just read over the exams and the marking schemes and you will see what they are looking for. It's very easy to get a C in LC Chemistry, and if you put some work in an A is doable! Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

koolis02 wrote: »
    Hello!
    Basically, i have to choose my leaving cert subjects really soon! For years i've wanted to be a dietitian, my hearts set on it! The only two colleges in ireland that do it are DIT and Trinity, and both require Chemistry! I'm really bad at chemistry and i really dislike it. I dont know if i wanna do it for my leaving cert knowing i'll most likely struggle at it:(
    Does anyone know how difficult it is? and is it worth it :confused::confused:

Bottom line here should be: if you dislike chemistry now and don't want to take it in college, how are you going to cope in a degree that has chemistry content? Even if you circumvent the chemistry entry requirement by applying to a college that doesn't have it as a requirement, you will end up doing it as part of the degree and you will be at a disadvantage if you have to pick it up at college level from scratch.

Looking at the two courses and the content seems to be pretty identical in both, you have to do chemistry for the first two years at least.

How bad do you want to do dietetics?

• Advertisement
Advertisement