Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are all laptop drives created equal?

Options
  • 04-12-2008 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

I have to replace a hard-drive on a Dell Latitude D420M, which is SATA.

As I've never replaced an SATA drive on a laptop before, am I correct in assuming I can just buy a regular 2.5" SATA from Komplett and slap it into the Dell?

Dell want €110 for a 60Gb 4200 rpm drive, Komplett are looking for €41.46 for a 5400rpm 120Gb drive. I wonder which one I will go for? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Yeah that's no problem, as long as it's the right dimensions and type, your grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Theres a (very small) number of 2.5" SATA drives on the market that are 12.5mm high instead of 9.5mm, but everything on Komplett (or any other good site that has a clue what they're selling) should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Username! wrote: »
    Yeah that's no problem, as long as it's the right dimensions and type, your grand.

I suppose that's what I am more worried about.

I've changed plenty of 2.5" IDE drives and never had a bother, but just looking at this 2.5" SATA drive, it's friggin' tiny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭riff-raff

looking for a new laptop any hints on what to buy:confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

riff-raff wrote: »
    looking for a new laptop any hints on what to buy:confused:

read the sticky, called "how to get help on this forum" and start your own thread.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I suppose that's what I am more worried about.

I've changed plenty of 2.5" IDE drives and never had a bother, but just looking at this 2.5" SATA drive, it's friggin' tiny!

ah, ya sure it's a 2.5" drive. The only reason i ask is because you said "it's friggin tiny" Aren't all 2.5" drives the same size. Their are a few that are thicker as pointed out in a previous post. But their all essentially the same size. Wheather is be SATA or IDE.

Maybe that laptop has a 1.8" drive. Now that's tiny

I could be wrong, just wanted to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

kikel wrote: »
    Maybe that laptop has a 1.8" drive. Now that's tiny

I could be wrong, just wanted to check.

No, I could be wrong.:)

Here's the model. I can't tell from that if it is 1.8 or 2.5. I'm beginning to think the former. It's not clear from the website which it is.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'd check the thermal specs as well to be on the safe side. It's not too likely to happen, but you don't want the new drive overheating and burning out...

Regarding the size, the hitachi site shows that all current hitachi travelstar disks are 2.5 inch drives, so you could check your original disk and confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Toshiba and Hitachi use different interfaces in 1.8" drives FYI.

MC

• Advertisement

Toshiba and Hitachi use different interfaces in 1.8" drives FYI.

MC

Didn't know that, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Google and EBay and a busted 1.8" HDD mp3 player is how I fould out that they do.

MC

Advertisement