Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would this occupation be?

Options
  • 13-11-2014 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Does anyone know in the 1800's what work would a steward be doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A steward was (is) someone who took care of something, or administered it, like a household, a property or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Eve222

Thank you Looksee. So that could be someone looking after one of the big houses, or even a rent collector back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Eve222 wrote: »
    Thank you Looksee. So that could be someone looking after one of the big houses, or even a rent collector back then.

The steward’s position depends on when he was working, for whom and where. In 19th century Ireland the (land) steward was one of the important figures in the management of an Estate/big house. Depending on the size of the property the position could have been of similar rank to the butler (who ran ‘indoors’) - the steward ran ‘outdoors’. It could have been much higher in status / more important if he was employed by a big estate. His duties would have covered the management of gardeners, dairymen, woodmen, smithy, the demesne (including the home farm, the land around the big house reserved by the owner for own use.) Usually he would have reported to the ‘Agent’ and certainly would have been educated, read & write, keep accounts, etc..

It is possible that he could have done some rent collection, (but that would I think have been unusual), and he certainly would have had dealings with tenants over any estate property and on minor decisions.

Alternatively a steward could have been an underservant somewhat like a waiter, as in a ‘cabin steward’ or in a club, a ‘clubroom steward’.

That is very interesting Pedro, it gives me a clearer picture. I think he was working for James Russell Esq. in Mount Russell. He is in the Griffith Valuation with just a house in Mount Russell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

That is very interesting Pedro, it gives me a clearer picture. I think he was working for James Russell Esq. in Mount Russell. He is in the Griffith Valuation with just a house in Mount Russell.

Not sure if you're aware of the NUI Landed Estates site - it has this on Mount Russell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I have a Land Steward among my ancestors also.. he doesn't show up on Griffith's but his employer does. My ancestor shows up in a few newspaper articles, so might be worth checking these for your guy. My gtgtgt-grandfather is mentioned as the contact in an advert for a blacksmith to work for the estate, and in an earlier article during famine years where he was shot at..

Thanks Pedro, The estate was in ruins in 1890, I wonder what happened to the families that worked there. I know the man I'm interested in was dead before 1880. I had a walk around the area with google earth that is on the site.

That's a good idea Shane. It is great when you can fill in some of the lives we look into, instead of just dates.

Advertisement