Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help on Pilonidal Sinus

Options
  • 01-01-2009 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Need a bit of advice on this,
    About 5 years ago I first developed an Pilonidal Sinus which has
    devloped three absesses since. Each event has been successfully
    controlled by antibiotics and has not required surgery. I have got three
    pinholes in the cleft between my buttocks. Whlist painful when the
    absess comes up but most other times causes no problems. I was attending
    Tae kwon do classes when I first devloped my problem. I stopped
    attending due to the problem because I would get very sweaty during the
    class. However my physical fitness has dropped and I would like to go to
    the class again. Would I be able to attend if I wash straight after and
    scrub the area with a phNeutral sopa free shower wash. Would this
    prevent any problems with participating in sport? It would take me about
    10 mins to get from the class to home to wash. Your help is most
    appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Hi Mike, I had this. I had to get an operation and I would advise the same. I had it for about a month but sometimes it would go away and come back. One night I tipped (literally) the corner of a table right on the absess on my lower back. this was one of the most painful things I have ever endured. It was bleeding constantly and getting infected due to that area. Had the operation and I was told that a woman had this same thing a few weeks ago only when she hit it, she became temporarily paralysed from the neck down (about 10 minutes). this all part of the nerve system. if you don't get it sorted out it will cause you problems in the future esspecially if you play sports. I play football and had to stop for a while. not because it was sore, just because of the sweat and blood marks. also it was a bit sore and had to be careful. this affected my fitness. My advise is to go to the doctor now. Best of luck

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭mike2084

Thanks I will look into that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a huge thread on this subject over in the "Long Term Illness" forum (which isn't searchable for some odd reason).

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055145515

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

There was a thread here on this same topic a few months back ... this is not an uncommon complaint, and I believe it can be treated successfully.

If it's something that recurs regularly and impacts on your ability to exercise ... maybe you should rethink what options you have other than the antibiotics you've used to date.

Your doctor is best placed to give you good advice here. Good luck :)

-> Link to previous Men's Health thread -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055409611

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭mike2084

Thanks for the links guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭hardtrainer

I had one that came and went a few times and I finally went and had it removed surgically about 10 years ago. I have had it back two or three times over the years since, but it has never been as bad and I have been able to deal with it myself and help it to heal quickly. It has never impacted really on my ability to exercise, apart from the problem that when it has been infected it has at times burst (this is when you can treat it with some antiseptic oitment and try to keep it clean so that it can heal).

If you're having consistent issues with it please see your GP, he/she can advise you on the best way to deal with your particular case.

With respect to TheLoc and the assertion that this is in some way connected to the nervous system, it is not. A pilonidal sinus results from an ingrown hair which results in the cleft (sinus) that then becomes infected. It is in no way connected to the spinal cord.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Hi Hardtrainer. Yes I think so too. it is an ingrown hair that fails to surface and causes infection and a bad pain. I know a girl that was momentarily paralised from one of these though. I'm not sure how but I guessed it was linked with the nerves. It definetly caused her to paralised for about 5 or 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Best advice has been given to the OP - his GP is best placed to diagnose/treat and advise.

/thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement