Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New laptop advice

• 03-12-2008 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all, I would like soem advice please on buying a laptop.

I would be willing to spend up to €500, possibly €600 if needed.

The following are my needs/what i don't need:

1. Reliable

2. Only to use MS office applications, no games/gaming, internet

3. Something not too heavy, as I will want to carry it around town from time to time. But I don't want a laptop with a minute screen

4. I don't need a CD/DVD drive

5. I hear that Xp is being phased out (I currently use Xp on my work laptop), so understand that Vista is the standard, and therefore may need at least 3MB of RAM (?)

6. Built-in webcam would be good, good sound etc

I would like advice on:

1. Make
    2. Model
    3. Where to buy
    4. Any minimum specifications to be aware of
    5. Anything to avoid in terms of makes, processors, OS

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

well you have a number of options, if portablility is a priority, than perhaps a 10" netbook would suit? Most come with xp installed and no disc drive. They are quite small, but they would handle ms office programs without issue. And most have built in web cams. You'd be looking at around 350/400 for one of these machines. It'd probably be worth your while heading out to pcworld or the likes and seeing the machines up close, as it may be too small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 huggie

thanks alanstrainor, I think I will go to some of these places to look at makes/models. I dont have a problem with getting Vista - only wanted to know what RAM to get with it so that it isnt slow.

Advertisement