Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Laptop, advice needed

Options
  • 26-11-2008 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

I've never bought a laptop before but I'm planning on getting one in the next few weeks. I haven't really got a clue on where to get one except maybe the Dell site.

I'm willing to spend around 500-650e and its going to be used for college work. I use some fairly demanding programs so I'm looking for as much CPU power and RAM as possible. I don't have a need for a gfx but a non-integrated one would be nice. Not too concerned with portability either.

So basically I just want something as cheap as possible with lots of RAM and a decent CPU but I don't want it to fall apart in a few months either :)

Any sites or recommendations for brands, models? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

try hp or lenovo, I use a lenovo myself and it is easily the best laptop I have ever used. You might want to re-think the portability if you are carrying to college each day, there is nothing worse that buying a nice sized laptop with a big screen to then find it breaks you back lifting it around everywhere, I always go for compact models preferably with a detachable dvd docking station, also make sure you get the upgraded battery as the 6 cell versions only last an hour or two.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Specifically what programs will you be running on it? There's a huge selection of machines in your price range, i'd agree with the above RE the portability side of things, so perhaps a 13" machine or there abouts would suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I use Xilinx tools which usually eat about a gig and a half just sitting there idle. I use virtual machines a fair bit now, especially for my final year project, and I use Eclipse a lot also. Its mainly programming tools that use a lot of RAM. I want to use it for audio applications as well (Live, VSTs, logic if I can get Osx86 working).

I've been looking at HP and Lenovo so thats good to hear they're decent. Are laptopsdirect.ie a decent crowd to get it off? I've been looking at dabs.ie as well, they seem to be resonably priced.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Do a search for laptopsdirect on this forum.
    The consensus is that they are the worst shower of gobsheens to deal with if anything goes wrong with your order. Stay away. Stay well away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

I'm due to be getting a Dell Vostro 1000 during the week. Seems pretty reasonable...I got it for around €550 and has 160GB Hard Drive and 2GB RAM. Reviews on the site for it are pretty good too...

• Advertisement

Went with the Vostro myself. T5870, 4gb Ram, 250 GB hdd for €580. Should do me grand.

Thanks for the help :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Was just going to suggest it.

Memories of xilinx last year and the year before, UGH. keep it away, away!

Heh yeah its fairly awful stuff, can't wait to be rid of it!

Advertisement