Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAME in serious trouble

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

They are selling PC titles at knock down prices now, and those PS Move Sharpshooters for 7 quid. (i.e. getting rid of pointless bulky stuff ASAP). I'd say in the next day or two we are going to see all titles drop to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I seen the signs up for Spring Clean... is that what they are calling Insolvency these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

And now Kid Icarus won't be stocked.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-14-nintendo-confirms-you-wont-be-able-to-buy-kid-icarus-uprising-from-game-gamestation

Not really surprising, after The Last Story and Mario Party weren't stocked.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Someone just shoot it ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

May drop into GAME on the way home

sad-forever-alone-happy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Someone just shoot it ffs

9780064403825.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Harvey normans are always over priced for me :/ cheapest how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If you have the Move you should pick up that sharp shooter for 7 euro its class, works with Killzone 3, resistance 3 and with the Resident evil chronicles getting a HD release you will get plenty out of it for 7 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Just popped in at lunchtime - good few PS3 games priced now at a reasonable 39Euro. Picked up Drake, yes could probably have gotten it cheaper 2nd hand but prefer it new where possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »

lol i was thinking yesterday: i would love to buy some game shares just for ****s and giglles. i quess someone could have earned quite a bit on this hyke! :D

Well at least some(probably not all) of the jobs will be saved, and gamestop won't dominate the market :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bahahahaha

429395_380079945344176_100000265203541_1427722_1709473664_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

lol i was thinking yesterday: i would love to buy some game shares just for ****s and giglles. i quess someone could have earned quite a bit on this hyke! :D
    Aye, a massive rise of 72% in the price sounds great...until you realise it's now valued at 1.95p. :D

Bahahahaha

429395_380079945344176_100000265203541_1427722_1709473664_n.jpg

Selling that medal of honor pre owned for 40 euro *insert facepalm*

Says 30. When its 8.98 in HMV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Game seriously need to cop on, they're away in their own world with there prices and the so called staff are useless. Was hoping to see it crash and burn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

tonydude wrote: »
    Game seriously need to cop on, they're away in their own world with there prices and the so called staff are useless. Was hoping to see it crash and burn
    I wouldn't go as far as wanting to see it 'crash and burn'

One less competitor on the market will drive up prices overall.
    Plus the jobs they give.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Microsoft and Activision can be added to the list of those leaving Game now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I was just there and got 4 games for €12 :D

They seem to have a lot of new (temporary?) staff doing a stock check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I lol'd at the Mass Effect 3 ad on the left of that page. Oh the irony :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I feel sorry for the poor sap who probably got a tenner for ME 3

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the poor sap who probably got a tenner for ME 3

40 quid trade in offered for mass effect 3 at Game :p got that latest little slip they give out with trade in prices printed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Aye, a massive rise of 72% in the price sounds great...until you realise it's now valued at 1.95p. :D
    A 72% increase is a 72% increase regardless of the underlying stock price.
    Up another 70%~ today so it's easy money if you've got the balls. Probably as safe as any bet at Cheltenham :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Checked Dundrum last night. Some older/preowned games at cheap prices. Nothing amazing though.

cloud493 wrote: »
    40 quid trade in offered for mass effect 3 at Game :p got that latest little slip they give out with trade in prices printed.

No wonder they're gone out of business!

The full list for those interested

Binary domain - 35
    EA sports grand slam tennis 2 - 25
    Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 25
    Metal gear solid collection - 30
    Soul calibur V - 25
    Donkey kong country returns - 25
    Mario kart wii - 25
    Moshi monsters - 25
    Pokemon black/white - 25
    Resident evil revelations - 30
    Fifa football (vita) - 30
    Marvel vs capcom 3 (vita) - 30
    Mass effect 3 - 40
    SSX(the newest one) - 40
    Uncharted golden abyss - 35
    Super mario 3D land - 35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Thanks I will be getting rid of Mario and Uncharted so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Was in GAME Dundrum and GAME@Hamley's Dundrum earlier today. No real deals on new/recent games but I'm into retro gaming so picked up some old preowned games:

PS2: Need for Speed Underground 2 €2.98
    007 Nightfire €1.99
    (It was buy 1 get 1 free so got both for 2.98)

Resident Evil 4 €9.99
    Killzone €6.99
    (I wanted to buy RE4 on PSN but then realised its 19.99 on there. Still think 9.99 is too much, but I did get Killzone free as it was buy 1 get 1 free)

Eyetoy: Play 2 99c
    Eyetoy: Antigrav 99c
    (Also BOGOF so 99c for the two games)

Red Faction II 99c

PS3: Mirror's Edge €3.98
    Killzone 2 €3.98
    Bioshock 2 €3.98
    PES 2009 98c

So a total of 11 games for less than €28. If anyone's heading to Dundrum the GAME shop in Hamley's seems to have a much better range than the GAME on the Tesco level of the main centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm a little confused by your picture cherryghost. I was in Game a few days ago and Medal of Honor was only something like 9 or 10.99, not sure how it jumped like that! Have to admit I usually find Games prices good, far better than Gamestop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

They are changing prices in store by the day,last week Motor Storm for PS3 was €14.99 now it's €29.99 preowned, this was the new Motor Storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

So a total of 11 games for less than €28. If anyone's heading to Dundrum the GAME shop in Hamley's seems to have a much better range than the GAME on the Tesco level of the main centre.

I didnt even know there was one there!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

will game be stocking diablo 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

will game be stocking diablo 3?

Activision are no longer stocking in game and since activision and Blizzard are the same company i really doubt it

I doubt they'll be still open in may especially in Ireland

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

NTMK wrote: »
    Activision are no longer stocking in game and since activision and Blizzard are the same company i really doubt it

Sigh* gamestop it is then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Dunno what gave you that idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Meesared wrote: »

I was just going on the fact that new Activision games wont be stocked
    and considering blizzard are a part of activision, Diablo 3 probably wont be stocked

also the website hasnt been updated yet because Kinect SW is still on the site even though its confirmed they wont stock it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I was just going on the fact that new Activision games wont be stocked
    and considering blizzard are a part of activision, Diablo 3 probably wont be stocked

also the website hasnt been updated yet because Kinect SW is still on the site even though its confirmed they wont stock it
    Once it gets sold it will be sorted I'm sure, and you can be sure that sale will be rushed through, as I'm sure neither Game nor the buyers want it to fall into Administration come the 25th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Meesared wrote: »
    Once it gets sold it will be sorted I'm sure, and you can be sure that sale will be rushed through, as I'm sure neither Game nor the buyers want it to fall into Administration come the 25th

You may find that potential buyers would be very happy to wait until administration kicks in. Any buyer taking over the company now takes over all of their existing liabillities and legal agreements. Once in administration / liquadation then those liabillities are not the problem of the new owner.

Granted the new owner may not get a great reception from for arguments sake a key player for the new company like Nintendo if they have lost money from the collapse and that may be a factor. However things like leases and property agreements in particular are a huge burden on the company at the moment and could all be renegotiated or pullled out of completely by new owners after administration. Likewise staff redundancies etc would be a lot easier and less costly to do.

Game can be great for bargains but much like Gamestop their preowned game prices are ridicolous and many of the staff in there don't have the first clue about gaming. I know a few people who work in Game and Gamestop and not one of them has any interest in gaming let alone owns a console.

Was in Gamestop on Monday pricing the Vita and when I asked what offers they had on it the girl behind the counter told me that I had a 3DS I could trade it in against the Vita for a massive saving as I wouldn't need it anymore. I asked what she meant and her reply was "All the great 3DS games like Mario will be on the Vita soon". I can well imagine how many nongamers have gone in looking to buy it for someone else and left with a new Vita thinking that lil Jimmy is going to love playing Mario on his new Sony Vita.

• Advertisement

I know a few people who work in Game and Gamestop and not one of them has any interest in gaming let alone owns a console.

Ya, last time I bought something in GS was LA Noire last year. I preordered it over the phone and they asked if I would be in Friday morning to collect it. I said ya, as soon as they open (as I had the day off and was mad to play it). He said "Oh....you're one of THOSE..hehe". I said sorry? and he said, "you know...someone who comes in for a game 1st thing on release day." You mean a gamer :confused: Condescending Pri*k! F*ck Gamestop!

Game on the other hand, well the lads in Limerick seem to have a great interest in games and have been working there years so it's bad they may be out of the job. Saying that, Game have the worst prices and trade in prices I've ever seen.

Ya, last time I bought something in GS was LA Noire last year. I preordered it over the phone and they asked if I would be in Friday morning to collect it. I said ya, as soon as they open (as I had the day off and was mad to play it). He said "Oh....you're one of THOSE..hehe". I said sorry? and he said, "you know...someone who comes in for a game 1st thing on release day." You mean a gamer :confused: Condescending Pri*k! F*ck Gamestop!

seems a bit harsh id imagine he was just trying to have a bit of banter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Bricks n mortar shops going under when it comes to content that can be received easily online.

Its been said for years, and this shouldnt be a shock to anyone.

Movies, music, games, books....its mroe conviniant, less hasle and cheaper to purchase and receive through online retailers and platforms like amazon,Steam etc.

Yeah its kinda sad to hear, I used to work in Game, but its progression, its evolution. And for how long really were these stores going to be left going as they were anyway, with the gaming industry wanting to clamp down on second hand sales.

And while there is some genuine concern for those with poor internet access, it is 2012. We are in a country with poor network infrastructure for sure, but not prehistoric. Lobby a TD, look into alternatives.

But the industry is well and truely moving digital and I for one welcome it.

*My Diablo 3 copy came part of the Wow annual pass deal. This was bought back in like October last year. No panic, no going into a shop, its just a done deal. And the Blizzard store is a prime example of how the platform can work well. PRoducts are cheaper then any walk in store, high bandwidth for quick downloads and just conviniant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Game on the other hand, well the lads in Limerick seem to have a great interest in games and have been working there years so it's bad they may be out of the job. Saying that, Game have the worst prices and trade in prices I've ever seen.

I know the lads fairly well as I used to work there myself for a couple of stints. Will be sad if it goes. Have a lot of memories there. I remember we used to call the old manager Fathead, and the assistant manager scrawled it in massive writing across the floor in marker and covered it with a display. It was all hidden until it was moved during a stocktake! :)

Ah theres a difference between the friendly banter I get from HMV than the 'I'm too cool for gaming' attitude I get from some GS staff. Anyway, there's enough hate of GS on these boards already :)

Chrislad, the lads in Game get any word whats going to happen? I'm guessing it would be like most places and you would find out if you were redundant on the Internet before finding out from management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

TheDoc wrote: »
    And the Blizzard store is a prime example of how the platform can work well. PRoducts are cheaper then any walk in store, high bandwidth for quick downloads and just conviniant

Eh where are you getting this garbage from? Diablo 3 is costing 60 euro on the Blizzard store as compared to 40 on the GS website and probably 50 in store. Its the same with Old Republic and Battlefield 3 on origin, physical copies were selling for at least 10-15 euros cheaper than they were on origin.

Just because they should be cheaper digitally doesnt mean they ever are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Ah theres a difference between the friendly banter I get from HMV than the 'I'm too cool for gaming' attitude I get from some GS staff. Anyway, there's enough hate of GS on these boards already :)

Chrislad, the lads in Game get any word whats going to happen? I'm guessing it would be like most places and you would find out if you were redundant on the Internet before finding out from management.

Nothing, just rumours. I found about about suppliers not giving them games before they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'd imagine you're right. I'd imagine they're forbidden from commenting on the situation online anywhere, too. Which I'd also imagine is deeply frustrating.

I went into town today to trade in some games against a Vita and found HMV were the most helpful and offered the best price. They also had the best deal on the machine.

They guy I spoke to in gamestop was a bit of a dick, he kept asking why I was trading in games and where I got them from. When he saw I had Mass Effect 3 (got a gift of it on Xbox today) and Grand Slam Tennis 2 to trade in he told me that it was "dodgy" that I had both to trade in and asked me if I "could prove they belonged to me". Have to say I was rather taken aback and asked him if he impllied that everyone who had traded in Mass Effect 3 may have stolen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'd imagine you're right. I'd imagine they're forbidden from commenting on the situation online anywhere, too. Which I'd also imagine is deeply frustrating.

When he called about my ME3 preorder, the manager of GAME Limerick expressed his hope that it was temporary setback. I really hope he's right!

Closures are coming though: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-16-game-store-closure-letters-go-out-to-customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mr. K wrote: »
    When he called about my ME3 preorder, the manager of GAME Limerick expressed his hope that it was temporary setback. I really hope he's right!

Closures are coming though: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-16-game-store-closure-letters-go-out-to-customers

Was in the one in Ilac Center this morning, it was staffed by 2 girls I don't recall ever seeing there, and based on the level of stock on the shelves it didn't look good for them.

On a related note, I was in a few places today, hmv game stop etc. and I might just be imagining things here but many places seem to have reduced the shelf space given to both new and used games, the selection in HMV on Henry St was much small than the last time I was in there.

Gamestop was same mas it ever was though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement