Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics HL 2010 Predictions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Put 'c4science' in the youtube search bar and the LC physics experiments will show

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Heat should be prominant on the paper this year..... I'd say an exp ,vap of water maybe, something in Q5 and Q12 !
    Particle physics id say willhave alpha/beta decay and particles ... neutrino, fundamental forces
    There prob will be a Light long Q, and exp , snells law maybe
    The mechanics Q6 will more than likely have a derivation, I'm tipping cricular motion either the planet derivation or V=wr
    The electricity Q I'm thinking will be either all electromagnetic induction, or else it will appear in Q12 and as said on countdown to 906, the ampere and Coulombs Law...
    There will more than likely be another modern physics Q , X-rays, Cathode ray tube, Photoelectric and thermionic emmision and Nuclear reactors would be things to know IMO !

Heat should be prominant on the paper this year..... I'd say an exp ,vap of water maybe, something in Q5 and Q12 !
    Particle physics id say willhave alpha/beta decay and particles ... neutrino, fundamental forces
    There prob will be a Light long Q, and exp , snells law maybe
    The mechanics Q6 will more than likely have a derivation, I'm tipping cricular motion either the planet derivation or V=wr
    The electricity Q I'm thinking will be either all electromagnetic induction, or else it will appear in Q12 and as said on countdown to 906, the ampere and Coulombs Law...
    There will more than likely be another modern physics Q , X-rays, Cathode ray tube, Photoelectric and thermionic emmision and Nuclear reactors would be things to know IMO !
    Ewwww I hate electromagnetic induction :(

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Ewwww I hate electromagnetic induction :(
    Ya I hate it too!!! So horrible !!! Prob won't do it if it does come up!

Ya I hate it too!!! So horrible !!! Prob won't do it if it does come up!
    Yeah the choice is pretty decent on the Physics paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 xfionax

Yeah the choice is pretty decent on the Physics paper.
    Yeah! Thank god!!!...I can never do the mecanics questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Avoiding Heat experiments like the plague, the formulei are just too complex:(

Im fairly sure one will come up, but with the way LC 2010 is, I would be ecstatic if they didnt bother with one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭itsokay

stainluss wrote: »

Im fairly sure one will come up, but with the way LC 2010 is, I would be ecstatic if they didnt bother with one:D

really? i always thought the heat expeiments were by far the easiest because of the calculations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Pimptastic

Actually Applied Maths is by far the easiest subject. Really.
    Are... You... Mental??! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Messi 10

stainluss wrote: »

There are only 2 formulas. M x C x Delta theta

and M x L.

And they're both very easy to apply I think.

And there will almost certainly be a heat experiment. There was none last year so it's fairly certain there will be one this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

muffinz wrote: »
    im thinking of dropping to pass... what are the ordinary papers like?any easier?

alot easier buddy my friends are doing it and pissin it and there far from clever :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

Messi 10 wrote: »
    There are only 2 formulas. M x C x Delta theta

and M x L.

And they're both very easy to apply I think.

And there will almost certainly be a heat experiment. There was none last year so it's fairly certain there will be one this year.

i agree heat is probably my favourite section its always going to be pluggin numbers into a formula

once you remember energy lost = energy gained its a sinch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Guys on the heat experiment for latent heat of fusion of ice, why do you dry the ice? I've seen the question and can't find an answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭bluemooner

i couldn't disagree with you more...
    physics isnt too bad anyway, hope its a nice paper anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I have mechanics, particle physics and the electron prepared well so far. Will probably be answering Q's 5,6,10,12 on section B and then depending on what comes up where, one other question, probably 7/8/9, don't really like the layout of 11.
    Experiments are usually ok for me, once you've gone through them in class and actually done the work for yourself it's no problem recalling it.
    Pimptastic wrote: »

Are... You... Mental??! :p
    Agree with Maybe_memories, with a bit work and going through a few past papers it's quite easy to get at least 6 topics up to a very high standard and it's actually a very easy paper to pick up marks in once you stick to the correct method of solving the problems as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭trepasers

Conor108 wrote: »
    Guys on the heat experiment for latent heat of fusion of ice, why do you dry the ice? I've seen the question and can't find an answer!

so water from the ice isnt added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

Areq wrote: »
    nice ,but for real ? three times during 2 years ?

mine didn't do much of electicity .. i know nothing on resistance and stuff. . .

well in my school ty is compulsory and we do al our subjects over th3 3 years but in ty he only did really "difficult" stuff to get peolpe to drop the subject, so i dont count that year. in 5th year we did the entire course and watched a million videos on the topics, and this year we did the course from september to march and then after the mocks we did the syllabus again until about 4 weeks before leaving cert began.
    we did all of electricity and i still dont know anything XD you either get it or you dont i guess :(

and to anyone dropping to pass physics if you have done ANY work at all you will find it very easy , i mean the extract texts ,the answers are in the paragraph and some of the questions are unreall( give 2 uses for electricity in the home),

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Blerdiii wrote: »
    well in my school ty is compulsory and we do al our subjects over th3 3 years but in ty he only did really "difficult" stuff to get peolpe to drop the subject, so i dont count that year. in 5th year we did the entire course and watched a million videos on the topics, and this year we did the course from september to march and then after the mocks we did the syllabus again until about 4 weeks before leaving cert began.
    we did all of electricity and i still dont know anything XD you either get it or you dont i guess :(

and to anyone dropping to pass physics if you have done ANY work at all you will find it very easy , i mean the extract texts ,the answers are in the paragraph and some of the questions are unreall( give 2 uses for electricity in the home),
    Im so tempted to do ordinary, im just terrified of the wrath that is my mother....

Does anyone know in the exp questions why thermometers with low specific heat capacities should be used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

Does anyone know in the exp questions why thermometers with low specific heat capacities should be used?

it think , that they won't absorb much heat or somethin

Please correct me if im wrong !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

Areq wrote: »
    it think , that they won't absorb much heat or somethin

Please correct me if im wrong !

Yes. It ensures a more accurate result because in our calculation we assume that the thermometer absorbs no heat when in actual fact it does.

Yes. It ensures a more accurate result because in our calculation we assume that the thermometer absorbs no heat when in actual fact it does.

HA ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

This must be the hardest exam on the leaving cert after honours maths!...anyone agree?

god no.. this is so easy imo.... it's perfectly grand if you have any sort of head on you for numbers and understanding stuff...

i love it... hoping for this to be my best subject

i got 77% in the mocks and I didn't even open a book for it

it's all relative to the student who's sitting the exam.. some people love certain subject - others hate others...

I actually like honours maths - wee bit of work but nothing compared to how hard honours irish is with all those essays and poetry...

someone else is gonna come and say that honours irish is easy now etc etc...

it's all relative

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    god no.. this is so easy imo.... it's perfectly grand if you have any sort of head on you for numbers and understanding stuff...

it's all relative to the student who's sitting the exam.. some people love certain subject - others hate others...

I actually like honours maths - wee bit of work but nothing compared to how hard honours irish is with all those essays and poetry...

it's all relative
    yea my phys teacher said that its the simplest subject exept business . and art is the hardest :D:D its just what you like dislike or where your talents are . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Cipango wrote: »
    thephysicsteacher.ie has it all writen out for you, just print them off!

My advice is just read and read and read if your finding yourself stuck. Something will go in and if cant remember just go straight to your log tables, might get some clue somewhere!

i love you.. :D:D:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool::cool::D:D:D

i've been looking for a site like this for so long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

does anyone know a place where i can find all the experiments in one place online? my physics book has them all split up, and less stress more success sucks ass for experiments, theyre all jumbled :( i just want to find them together, and seeing as my experiments only had 5th year experiments its not that good -.-

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

it's all relative

I completely agree. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

i love you.. :D:D:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool::cool::D:D:D

i've been looking for a site like this for so long

He he glad to be of help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

Im so tempted to do ordinary, im just terrified of the wrath that is my mother....
    the thing with physics is you'd be amazed how much you can get by on!
    if you just looked at definitions and did a few calculations tonight and tomorrow you could get a high c, trust me only do pass physics if you REALLY struggle , and the tables will help you!:)
    best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

does anyone know a place where i can find all the experiments in one place online? my physics book has them all split up, and less stress more success sucks ass for experiments, theyre all jumbled :( i just want to find them together, and seeing as my experiments only had 5th year experiments its not that good -.-

http://physics.slss.ie/resources/downloads/ph%5Fpr%5Falllistedphysexpr%2Epdf

Also can someone tell me...in physics if you are asked for two reasons for something and you give two and one is wrong, do you get zero for the whole question? That's what my teacher told me!

Advertisement