Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Twin Peaks

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I just finished the box set last night, I love it! I never knew that happened in the end, I must have missed it when it was screened first.

I think I'll go back to the Sopranos next, but will definitely watch TP again, and must buy "Fire, Walk with me". You would never tire of watching Twin Peaks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I think I'll go back to the Sopranos next, but will definitely watch TP again, and must buy "Fire, Walk with me". You would never tire of watching Twin Peaks.
    Yep watch "Fire Walk With Me". It's primarily a prequel but not to be watched until you've watched the entire show. I don't just mean when you actually know who killed Laura Palmer (which is what the movie is about) but there's spoilers in there even for the series finale, obscure as they are.

I saw it in the cinema at the time, it was a bit strange...

So I'm looking forwarding to studying it in detail now.

I think I'll look for a book, website or something that will explain all the TP mysteries to me, as I still have so many questions to ask about it. Has anyone any recommendations?

I think I'll look for a book, website or something that will explain all the TP mysteries to me, as I still have so many questions to ask about it. Has anyone any recommendations?
    Well you should be able to find the Twin Peaks FAQ online which explains (or theorises anyway) a lot of what was going on.
    There's also "The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer" - if you've watched the show, you'll know what that is.
    Also on the web there's a book that was made up of all the tapes (heard and unheard) that Cooper sent to "Diane".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

While they can be helpful, I would really advise against reading any analysis of Lynch's work until you have formed a strong interpretation of your own. A lot of what is written online about his films is built on early attempted explanations that were highly questionable to being with. This is especially true of Mulholland Drive.

Quite a good article in today's Irish Times, with a brief mention of David Lynch:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2010/0719/1224275014953.html

I cut out the article as it's given me ideas for other cult movies that I might enjoy.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll check it all out!

Maybe it's time for me to revisit some of the movies of David Lynch. I really liked Blue Velvet (my favourite) & Mulholland Drive.

Maybe it's time for me to revisit some of the movies of David Lynch. I really liked Blue Velvet (my favourite) & Mulholland Drive.
    "Mulholland Drive" is excellent and I will agree that it's often best to draw your own interpretation (something I believe Lynch advocates). It's relatively straight forward compared to the nuttiness of "Inland Empire", although broadly speaking I think they share some common themes that are also in "Lost Highway" and indeed "Twin Peaks". But maybe they don't and it's only in my viewpoint - kinda the fun of it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There is a lot of similar themes in Lynch's work alright. Women in trouble being the most prevalent. The more familiar you are with filmography, the easier his individual films are to understand. You get to know his cinematic language. But Lost Highway and Inland Empire are the only films of his I'd consider really difficult. Aside from the abstract imagery, most of the rest are fairly straight-forward.

I always thought of Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway as being companion pieces. They are both about characters dealing with (as Lynch put it) the undealable. But each character handles it quite differently. Interesting films to compare and contrast.

What's remarkable about Lynch is that he manages to be so dark and yet remain totally uncynical. He's so earnest that people sometimes think he's being satirical, but more often than not he's quite genuine in what he depicts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭briany

I watched the first series and about half of the second and am taking a little break from it right now. It wasn't as 'weird' as I thought it might be but that's not a bad thing. It's my first real exposure to David Lynch's work and I think it's a good place to start. It encouraged me to watch Lost Highway but I didn't like that as much but that's the type of film that you're never going to totally get the first time around anyway.

The thing that struck me about Twin Peaks though is there's a good deal of humour in the series (Coop's bed hair, anyone?). Just random little asides like that give it a nice balance. Another one I like is when Billy and Shelly are sitting in a car planning something (a robbery) and Billy needs music to think and this( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QVzBvPPGDI) comes on the radio and they just start clicking their fingers in time with it like "Oh, yeah!".

• Advertisement

That's great, that you've started exploring other stuff by David Lynch. I'll check out those movies too. I absolutely love all the music from Twin Peaks. I just got an i-pod, so that is the first CD going on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Love it. And the movie got bad press but I think it's fantastic - soundtrack to that is great too.

Remember The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer being regularly plugged in Jackie magazine at the time - was supposed to have been quite explicit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

'Fire Walk With Me' is on the horror channel tonight at 10.55pm.

DO NOT WATCH unless you have seen the original series. Enjoy:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭La frog fairy

ahh this show was great, confused the hell out of me when i first watch it, couldnt understand at times as its play with your minds...and now that i think about it, i cant remember who killed her in the end..:confused::D

Got the soundtrack as well, awesome music throughout the serie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Watching this again on the Horror Channel (Sky channel 319) having first seen it when first released (I was 13/14 at the time).

On Friday night the killer was revealed and I have to say I had a cushion to me face during that scene. I wouldnt mind but I knew exactly what was going to happen but the fear from watching all those years ago was still embedded in my brain! The killer
    Bob
    has to be the scariest character I have ever seen in any program/film!

See from 1:15 in the youtube clip (Not going to embed in case anything is revealed)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aggTrvJc_gs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 AdmiralRazor

I have "The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer" on my bookshelf actually.

Wonderful, wonderful book, despite the inconsistencies with the later series and FWWM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement