Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tudors

• 16-06-2009 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Just watched the last episode of the third series of the excellent The Tudors there on TV3. I have to say it's top notch viewing.

However I have to say for some reason I found the end of this series really unsettling. It's so dark and twisted. Thomas Cromwell, who was King Henrys right hand man for years was stitched up by the jealous members of the kings parliament and charged with treason and executed! The execution was cruel! The executioner was fed with drink the night before the execution by those who stitched up Cromwell and he made a hash of the execution, hacking his back 3 or 4 times before a soldier steped in to behead him! Now I've never been bothered by violence in films and TV before but there's something about the executions in the tudors that are unsettling. Does anybody else find this??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Luuca

Found this on Wiki earlier....

Thomas Cromwell was executed at the Tower on July 28, 1540, the same day that the king went on to marry Catherine Howard. After his execution, Cromwell's head was boiled and then set upon a spike on London Bridge, facing away from the City of London.

Henry came to regret Cromwell's execution. About eight months after his execution, Henry accused his ministers of bringing about Cromwell's downfall by false charges and said he now realised that Cromwell was the most faithful servant he had ever had.

It proves that King Henry and his entourage were tyrants !

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Tasha90

that ****** killed thousands of innocent civilians in ireland!! he deserved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Tasha90 wrote: »

It's a different Cromwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Tasha90

scop wrote: »
    It's a different Cromwell.

sorry, :confused: dont watch tudors. embarrased now lol

....now i see it thomas cromwell and not oliver!!!! embarrasing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

That was OLIVER CROMWELL....completely different person.

The reason the execution was grim is because that was exactly what happened back then. Life was grim in Tudor times and I'm glad that the maker of The Tudors don't try to sugar-coat it.

The reason the Lords stitched up Cromwell was because they didn't like seeing a 'commoner' getting raised so high by the King. It made them feel insecure, so they decided they had to go and advised Henry accordingly. Which goes to show, you can't always believe what you're being told.

They didn't show the execution of Lady Salisbury (Cardinal Pole's mother) but when she was being executed, she refused to lie down on the block for the executioner and he ended up chasing her around the scaffold trying to carry out the deed. Sounds funny, but it wasn't really.

Jen ;->

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

sorry, :confused: dont watch tudors. embarrased now lol

....now i see it thomas cromwell and not oliver!!!! embarrasing
    Oh, you're still being as coherent as anyone who ever received their Irish history education at the end of a cane from a Christian brother.

Admittedly I'm quite disappointed with the education handed out at the end of those canes but anyhoo...

On-topic, the Tudors is quite good.
    The executioner was fed with drink the night before the execution by those who stitched up Cromwell and he made a hash of the execution, hacking his back 3 or 4 times before a soldier steped in to behead him! Now I've never been bothered by violence in films and TV before but there's something about the executions in the tudors that are unsettling. Does anybody else find this??
    Historically more common than you'd think. I didn't see the end of season 2 but assuming they slotted Anne Boleyn's execution as the series finale, she should have been beheaded with a sword like French pre-guillotine executions (she requested the sword), again with multiple attempts. Blades weren't as sharp as they might have been either. Unfortunately, it's pretty brutal and it was.

Its brilliant. One of my favourite shows....but then I'm a Tudor-history nut anyway. ;)

Jen ;->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Seemingly Oliver Cromwell was a grand nephew of Thomas Cromwell. I haven't been watching The Tudors but I did see the end of the episode where Thomas Cromwell was executed. God it was awful. And as for poor Lady Salisbury-she was 70 if she was a day and a feisty old dear from all accounts. She had probably a better claim to the throne than Henry as she was a niece of Richard 111.
    I think the hanging ,drawing and quartering was absolutely barbaric and they were doing that up to 1803 as I think Robert Emmet was executed that way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Roses are red

Love the Tudors.Brilliant show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

There's an interminable report of Thomas Cromwell's trial, alleged crimes (including 'buggery' and 'heresy' - a fit-up if ever I've heard one) and also of the old dame Salisbury, available for perusal on Google Books - search for "A Complete Collection of State Trials and Proceedings for High Treason" and you should find it.

Salisbury refused to put her head on the block, saying crisply that this was for traitors and she was none. The hapless executioner (presumably the same drunk as topped Cromwell) tried to persuade her that it was all the fashion, but she wouldn't listen to reason and told him if he wanted her head he'd have to come and get it, and so he "took it off slovenly". Revolting. Savages.

• Advertisement

You have to hand it to them....they made an art of torture and execution. And then had the cheek to call themselves 'civilised'. Clearly shows where the phrase "Getting mediaeval on your ass" comes from.

I'm new to this forum but I have a criticism to make of series 2....why did they completely leave out Anne Boleyn's trial? I couldn't believe it when I saw her just being thrown in the Tower. Thought that was a bit of a cop-out, it would have made for a great episode, the feisty Anne facing her accusers. But she never got a chance to defend herself...most dissapointing.

Jen ;->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Danny1980

I love that series...brilliantly done! I love the costumes and locations and in general I have gotten mad about that part in english history. Would be great to connect with other fans here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Jenroche wrote: »
    Clearly shows where the phrase "Getting mediaeval on your ass" comes from.

Except that the medieval period was long over at this point. The Tudor reign occurred during the Renaissance.

I want to enjoy The Tudors but the history is so bloody awful and the real events were just so much more fascinating than anything that could be made up about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Sorry for draging up an old thread but im in the final few episodes of season4 and wondered is that the annoying twat from the meteor tv add(Tra la la la la la la la la) i spotted in it as an ace bow&arrow marksman as they take over Bologne?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes, same actor

Pretty much anyone who acts in Ireland got a part in The Tudors at some stage

Good few from Glenroe for example, familiar faces

Advertisement