Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for young drivers, powerful cars

Options
  • 24-04-2014 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭

Hi,

What are the best options for insurance for under 30s in powerful cars? I'm 24 and have a 330d insured with Liberty but they say they can't insure me on anything more powerful than that.

I have my eye on 650i/635d but need to look at the insurance issues first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Give Kelleher Insurances in Dundalk a call.

I had the same problem in December with a 4.0l V8 and i'm already 30. They came up with three companies that would take me on.

Had no problem from 23 years old with a 2.8l from any company.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

nononsense and chill wont insure myself a 30 year old with 6 years NCB on a 2.5L 2003 325ci! well at least online they wont. So a 2.5L doesnt meet their underwriting criteria! A 2.5L!!! Do power to weight ratios, the bhp, transmission etc come into their equation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Idbatterim wrote: »
    nononsense and chill wont insure myself a 30 year old with 6 years NCB on a 2.5L 2003 325ci! well at least online they wont. So a 2.5L doesnt meet their underwriting criteria! A 2.5L!!! Do power to weight ratios, the bhp, transmission etc come into their equation?

Thats odd, I was quoted by Chill online and that's for a 4.2ltr S4 and I'm 28. THEY then called me and improved what was already a decent offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

Try Brittons in Donegal. I'm 26 in a 530d for under a grand. Well I was until sertanta went bust with 6 months of my policy left to go and already paid in full. Ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Idbatterim wrote: »

Nononsense wouldn't quote me for my 1.4 TSI octavia and I'm 49:eek: a joke of an outfit. They just want the handy numbers. Nonsense is right:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

ian87 wrote: »
    Try Brittons in Donegal. I'm 26 in a 530d for under a grand. Well I was until sertanta went bust with 6 months of my policy left to go and already paid in full. Ffs.

I've a better deal than that with Liberty, its just that they won't consider anything more powerful than the 330d. I might give Brittons a call, insurance would be a big consideration for the cars I'm looking at given my age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Dartz

Reckon I'm in with a shot with a 1.3 Mazda 4-door at 27?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Dartz wrote: »
    Reckon I'm in with a shot with a 1.3 Mazda 4-door at 27?

If it's a RX8 your talking about then it's classed as a performance car and is in the system as a 1.7. I got quoted 950 fully comp and I'm 33 with 5yr ncb. Which isn't too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

just buy the car and ring them telling them youve just brought a new car and would like to change your insurance over immediately they wont want to but technically have to give you a quote. Its a lottery as too how much your quote will increase when I was 20 I insured a glanza turbo for 1600euro full licence 2 years no claim.
    When 21 ek9 1900euro when 23 evo 3 2300euro all 3rd party fire theft

**this worked for me when it was quinn 3+years ago not sure if liberty still have same policy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

just buy the car and ring them telling them youve just brought a new car and would like to change your insurance over immediately they wont want to but technically have to give you a quote. Its a lottery as too how much your quote will increase when I was 20 I insured a glanza turbo for 1600euro full licence 2 years no claim.
    When 21 ek9 1900euro when 23 evo 3 2300euro all 3rd party fire theft

**this worked for me when it was quinn 3+years ago not sure if liberty still have same policy

Dangerous game unless money is no object to you. I know a few people who got burned by this tactic when they got quotes of several thousand at renewal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

djimi wrote: »
    Dangerous game unless money is no object to you. I know a few people who got burned by this tactic when they got quotes of several thousand at renewal.

It is a lottery as I said and im not sure how lenient liberty are compared to quinn either so be careful op but its an option if all else fails

Advertisement