Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brake Disc Lathe

• 23-04-2014 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anywhere in South Dublin preferably Tallaght, Firhouse, Knocklyon area that can lathe a disc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Howard Engineering in Glasnevin can machine just about anything, by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Yes they'd been mentioned to me but bit of a trek, was hoping for somewhere nearer. Thanks though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Try Trident Engineering, they in Clondalkin, do all kinds of machining jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pretty sure all toyota dealers have these now maybe try tadg riordans?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Brake discs are fairly inexpensive. By the time they have a fairly pronounced lip, they would be approaching minimum thickness and possibly warped.
    Rather than pay for them to be lathed, you'll be better off buying new discs and throwing them in.
    I thought things like lathing discs and maybe even grinding down brake pads where gone since 1974.
    Plus the old discs can be sharpened round the edges and be used as a James Bond Frisbee! Fun! :P;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Any engineering shop should be able to do this .

Rathcoole is close to Tallaght.

http://ceartateo .ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

Know nothing about this crowd, but I'm from the area and knew that there was some engineering firm just off the Firhouse road. http://industrialengineering.ie/

Any local community school would have a couple of lathes, but I'm not sure if the engineering department would be even allowed to help you out, even if you were to pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Cheers for the replies.

I'm picking to have it machined as the car is only 4 years old and one disc is badly scraped from a have a go Harry trying to replace the pads by removing the caliper and bracket together, unsuccessfully, attempting to refit it at the querest angle with the aide of a lump Hammer and driving it 2km to me with the top of the brake pad backing plate being the only point of contact with the rotor.

The mind does be boggled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Are you actually going to save anything over a new disc though?

Personally , even for a bit extra I'd rather new discs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I don't see the point in skimming them unless they are high performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭greasepalm

for safety new discs and pads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Know nothing about this crowd, but I'm from the area and knew that there was some engineering firm just off the Firhouse road. http://industrialengineering.ie/

Any local community school would have a couple of lathes, but I'm not sure if the engineering department would be even allowed to help you out, even if you were to pay for it.

The issue with disc skimming is you must cut both faces together, you cant do one side turn it around and do the other :eek:
    So the amount of places that can do this are very limited, and besides you only have maybe 2mm of total wear on a disc before it becomes scrap anyway so new discs really is what you should be getting OP

rex-x wrote: »
    The issue with disc skimming is you must cut both faces together, you cant do one side turn it around and do the other :eek:
    So the amount of places that can do this are very limited, and besides you only have maybe 2mm of total wear on a disc before it becomes scrap anyway so new discs really is what you should be getting OP

I served my time as a lathe turner/miller and always did one face at a time. Very simple quick job.

I cant see any benefit from doing to sides together other than production speed. Heat is not really a factor as they get much hotter with heavy breaking while driving.

Is there a particular reason you say it must be done this way?

It has become uneconomical to do it now due to the cheapness of new disc these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

You cant get the runout to be within spec if you turn the disc around on the lathe, it will cause vibration through the pedal.
    As a turner surely you know that once your work piece is set up in the 4 jaws and runout adjusted accordingly you do not touch it until machining is finished unless you must machine the end covered by the chuck, you cant just lob them into a 3 jaw chuck and skim away *shudders*

All commercial machines cut both sides for this reason, a quick google will reveal thousands of hits telling you why

You cant get the runout to be within spec if you turn the disc around on the lathe, it will cause vibration through the pedal.
    As a turner surely you know that once your work piece is set up in the 4 jaws and runout adjusted accordingly you do not touch it until machining is finished unless you must machine the end covered by the chuck, you cant just lob them into a 3 jaw chuck and skim away *shudders*

All commercial machines cut both sides for this reason, a quick google will reveal thousands of hits telling you why

I always used a DTI to set it up on a 4 jaw and used the dti again of the machined face to match it up. Perfectly. It takes no time with a bit of experience. It runs perfectly true. It really not that big of a deal.

Set them up on both 3 and 4 jaw chucks. . Never ever has one come back. Saying that. Have not done one in 8 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

No need to use the 4 jaw chuck to skim discs the 3 jaw is perfectly fine if you use a dial gauge on the central diameter that's on the hub. I did them years ago but no one does them now because since the abolition of asbestos in brake pads the discs wear much more now.

jca wrote: »
    No need to use the 4 jaw chuck to skim discs the 3 jaw is perfectly fine if you use a dial gauge on the central diameter that's on the hub. I did them years ago but no one does them now because since the abolition of asbestos in brake pads the discs wear much more now.

Yeah . I felt like I was a bit out of the loop there using a 3 jaw all of a sudden. With the sudder comment.

But then again. Self centering chucks are as accurate as anyone would need for 99.9 % of anything.

Advertisement