Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrapping existing function in wrapper?

Options
  • 22-04-2014 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

Another style question. I resize images at several points in a script, and in each case I use an identical built-in function to shrink or grow the images. I chose to wrap this existing function in one of my own in case I needed to change it in future, which I haven't to this point.

Is this a good or bad practice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

"You ain't gonna need it". If you need to change the function later, change it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I'd get rid of it unless it makes calling the wrapped function easier/cleaner (i.e fixed parameters) or extends original features (i.e. fixed aspect ratio or scale width given height + aspect ratio). Keeping code just because you might need it in the future is wrong. Remove the code, give the commit a good description (you use a SCM, do you?) and if you'll ever need it it will be waiting for you without cluttering the current version of your code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Cheers!

Advertisement