Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Removing yourself from the voters register.

• 22-06-2013 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Bluegrass1

You have to get someone else to remove you. You can't do it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Because you don't maintain the register.

That is not what you asked in the first place.

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Why would the county council make a request to themselves.

Talking to yourself - first sign of madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Or, as knird would say, Ogra. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

To assist you OP.

Found this on Citizens Information
    If you need to add your name or change your entry in the draft Register, you can do this up to 25 November each year. You must fill in form RFA1 for the draft Register (pdf). You can get an RFA1 form from your local post office or public library. Forms are also available from your local authority and this is where completed forms should be returned to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Possibly will depend on which county council you have to deal with.

Told Kerry County Council that I moving over 10 years ago and to take me off.

Still get election stuff to old address [parent's house]

If they don't take someone who does give a new address off, I wouldnt fancy your chances if you don't give a new address.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

All citizins of age have an entitlement to vote in the various elections. Nobody can remove that right(including the person themselves). The register merely records which constituency you can vote in by virtue of residence. If any council removed someone from a register that wasn't being added in another constituency they would be cancelling that persons entitlement to vote - something which they have no authority to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

knird evol wrote: »
    If any council removed someone from a register that wasn't being added in another constituency they would be cancelling that persons entitlement to vote - something which they have no authority to do.

The council is well within it's rights to remove someone from the register if they don't bother to fill in the form you get to register to vote. They are not obliged to check if he has registered in another constituency and even if they wanted to, they can't because there is no central register. The fact that someone registers in Tralee doesn't mean that they will get removed from the register in Dun Laoghaire.

It would be possible to have a central register based on PPS number but that would give the civil liberties mob an excuse to protest about a 'Big Brother' state keeping tabs on you.

If you're not in the draft register then you can ask to be added so there is no excuse if you fail to make a return and end up not on the register at the next election or referendum. By the same token, if the OP has not submitted a return and finds that his name is on the next draft register, he can ask to be removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

68Murph68 wrote: »
    Possibly will depend on which county council you have to deal with.

Told Kerry County Council that I moving over 10 years ago and to take me off.

Still get election stuff to old address [parent's house]

If they don't take someone who does give a new address off, I wouldnt fancy your chances if you don't give a new address.
    This is your parent's fault. Have them make a return to the council, without your name.

That you are knowingly on the register in more than one place may be legally problematic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Victor wrote: »
    That you are knowingly on the register in more than one place may be legally problematic.

Passively being on ten different registers has no adverse consequences for an individual unless he or she attempts to vote more than once at a specific election or referendum.

If you haven't actively attempted to concurrently register on multiple registers then is it not 'problematic' at all, in fact it was endemic up to a few years ago due to inertia at local council level.

If I lead a nomadic life and register at every new address, the state can't prosecute me if I'm still on the register at all of my previous addresses. It's up to each local authority to clean up their register. I can register to vote at my new address but I am not obliged to inform the council at my previous address that I have moved out of their area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

coylemj wrote: »
    Passively being on ten different registers has no adverse consequences for an individual unless he or she attempts to vote more than once at a specific election or referendum.

If you haven't actively attempted to concurrently register on multiple registers then is it not 'problematic' at all, in fact it was endemic up to a few years ago due to inertia at local council level.

If I lead a nomadic life and register at every new address, the state can't prosecute me if I'm still on the register at all of my previous addresses. It's up to each local authority to clean up their register. I can register to vote at my new address but I am not obliged to inform the council at my previous address that I have moved out of their area.

It does massively increase the likelihood of being called for jury service; although whether you'd find out about it is a different matter. Can't imagine there are many prosecutions for failing to appear (and it might be a reasonable excuse).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I got galway city council to remove me off the voting register.

Some local politician signed me up to it without my permission. I rang up the council with the intention of going hell for leather on the issue, but it wasn't needed, the women in the council just said "yep, no problem". Thought they were BS'ing me but i checked a week later and i was taken off

coylemj wrote: »

Actually asked a relative about this who was acting as a director of elections. He checked with a presiding officer. Basically being on the register in multiple places is not a problem, as there is apparently a serious amount of people registered in more than one place.

Voting (or attempting to vote) multiple times is a very different situation.

As it happened I could have very easily voted in two locations at the last general election and no one would have been any the wiser.

Obviously I didn't but it did convince me that there should be one central register as opposed to the situation where the county councils have responsibility, and the standards seem to vary from one county council to the next.

I would rate an efficient accurate register of elections as being more important than any civil liberties issues.

Victor wrote: »
    This is your parent's fault. Have them make a return to the council, without your name.

I think this is clearly Kerry County Council's fault.

I informed them I was moving and they did nothing.

Having had both relatives and a friend employed by Kerry County Council at various points I have zero faith that if I or my parents do get in touch, they will bother to do anything this time round either.

As far as I'm concerned my conscience is clear - I did my duty as a citizen and informed the proper authorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

knird evol wrote: »
    All citizins of age have an entitlement to vote in the various elections. Nobody can remove that right(including the person themselves). The register merely records which constituency you can vote in by virtue of residence. If any council removed someone from a register that wasn't being added in another constituency they would be cancelling that persons entitlement to vote - something which they have no authority to do.

But they do this all the time. I have two stories to illustrate this.

Dublin City Council and Dun Laoaghaire - Rathdown Council County send people out to go door to door to update the register regularly.

They ask " Who lives at this address?" and update the register accordingly. The first year that this happened, I told them that we lived there and the previous owner had moved. They did not ask for any details of where she had moved. They simply removed her from the register.

A friend of mine moved and forgot to re-register . She assumed that she would still have a vote at her old flat. She called to the door and asked for her polling card. The new tenants said that when the guy called to the door they said that she had moved. Her name was no longer on the register.

The system is very flakey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

68Murph68 wrote: »
    I think this is clearly Kerry County Council's fault.

I informed them I was moving and they did nothing.
    Actually, write to them again, threatening them with the Data Protection Commissioner, as they are retaining unnecessary information and failing to correct incorrect information.

Advertisement