Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade: S3 or nexus 4?

Options
  • 31-01-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

So I'm looking to upgrade my Desire HD and I am having trouble deciding between the two phones in title or waiting since there are a lot of 5"ish phones coming down the line since CES and MWC in a few weeks time. It will be a fair while before these are available in Ireland though right?

So my situation is;

haggled meteor girl down to €25p/m contract for s3 @ €250
    nexus 4 8Gb in price range for €280
    concerned about storage on nexus but cant quite afford 16Gb
    also there's more screen to play with on s3
    trying to sell my DHD to hopefully bring down price of upgrade

Any advice out there would be much appreciated.

Should I wait or should I go for one of these phones, which?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What, if anything is swaying you towards the Nexus? You've two pros to zero for the S3 there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Don't forget the HTC One also. Great phone. I found the Samsungs to be a little plasticky compared to the HTC's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Nexus is a beauty. But apparently S3's camera has an edge over Nexus's.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

yeah I should have fleshed that out a bit...

nexus pros:
    stock android
    updates
    already on 4.2
    it's beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

I dislike android but I'd definitely get a nexus. Pure android is much better than any of the 'skinned' versions. Plus you know you'll get an upgrade, unlike Samsung.

• Advertisement

Ballyman wrote: »
    Don't forget the HTC One also. Great phone. I found the Samsungs to be a little plasticky compared to the HTC's

i do like the One X - but meteor don't seem to be offering it any more and I can't afford it sim free unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Dubwat

You can walk into any mobile phone shop and buy an S3 v. an 83 page thread on how to order a Nexus 4 in Ireland! It sounds like if you want one of these phones soon-ish, the S3 is your answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

ARM Cortex-A15 phones coming soon which will render current gen near obsolete ;-)

It's really not that complicated when you figure out what's going on, could order it right now if i decided to and there's a 1-2 week delivery time

haha maybe I'll wait like 5 years to upgrade so I can get android 14.2

• Advertisement

bricky06 wrote: »
    It's really not that complicated when you figure out what's going on, could order it right now if i decided to and there's a 1-2 week delivery time

Can you give a one sentence way of getting a Nexus 4 ;)

I would get my sister in the UK to buy it with a shipping address of my parcel motel a/c and pay her back.

Simples!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

cgarrad wrote: »
    Can you give a one sentence way of getting a Nexus 4 ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82077167&postcount=554 :rolleyes:

yeah I was reading things like that in the forum but it was all very messy and I don't quite trust VPNs and credit cards so the process of my sister ordering it would be easier and it would work since it would be a UK card and UK address.

bricky06 wrote: »
    I would get my sister in the UK to buy it with a shipping address of my parcel motel a/c and pay her back.

Simples!

You cant argue with that ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Was in much the same spot for ages after Christmas, a long contract S3 or bite the bullet and get an Nexus 4 up-front and save as much (if not more) on a better billpay plan. The Nexus coming back into stock (sorta) this week, the better build quality of it (Samsung don't make crap but let's be honest, the iPhone and N4 are a step ahead in terms of build quality and actual aesthetics) and the freedom of changing plans or opting for a new phone whenever I wanted really swung it heavily in the Nexus' favour for me.

The only thing that should give pause for thought is storage - if you want huge amounts of music or videos on your phone the upgradeable storage of the S3 could swing it. In my case the phone is for someone who isn't going to be lathering it in audio so 16GB was more than enough.

The Nexus 4 looks identical to every other phone out there in any photographs I've seen.
    Plus you can't remove the battery, so rooting might be a problem, among other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

The Nexus 4 looks identical to every other phone out there in any photographs I've seen.
    Plus you can't remove the battery, so rooting might be a problem, among other things.

What does one have to do with the other? Access to factory testing pins to put the phone in recovery mode or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭G1032

What does one have to do with the other? Access to factory testing pins to put the phone in recovery mode or something like that?

If something goes wrong during a custom ROM flash or whatever (Bootloops etc) you may well need to pull the battery. Can't do that on a Nexus

I've only ever rooted a couple of phones but both needed the battery removed at points for Clockwork recovery to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

I'm in the same situation myself, contract up next week and unsure what to decide on

Here's a comparison of both phones S3 VS N4 (PC Advisor)
    S3 VS N4 (PhoneArena)

My personal Pro's & con's for each, and i'm still unsure what to go for

S3
    Pro's:
    Can purchase straight away in a b&m
    Expandable memory
    Removable battery
    I have the Note 10.1 so would compliment well
    Quality phone overall

Con's:
    Tied into an 18 month contract
    Can be slow for updates
    S4 meant to be out in April

N4
    Pro's:
    Not tied into contract
    Guaranteed quick updates
    Something different than Samsung since I have the Note 10.1
    Nicer build/design
    Good reviews

Cons:
    Made by LG (don't regard them for phones)
    Crap dispatch times (however can get my sister in the UK to buy it for me)
    Limited to 8/16 GB

(That's all I can think of at the moment)

Has anyone being using N4 for a while and what your opinions on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The N4 is one of the most easily rooted devices, that's hardly an issue.

It's the flagship Android OS phone so of all things you can expect modding community support.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

G1032 wrote: »
    If something goes wrong during a custom ROM flash or whatever (Bootloops etc) you may well need to pull the battery. Can't do that on a Nexus

Well technically speaking you can...If you really wanted to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Go into a carphone warehouse and get a one x+. The galaxy is a nasty plastic thing. The nexus is good but the glass on the back is nearly guaranteed to break. HTC all the way

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Go into a carphone warehouse and get a one x+. The galaxy is a nasty plastic thing. The nexus is good but the glass on the back is nearly guaranteed to break. HTC all the way

How is the glass on the back guaranteed to break? Does that mean that the glass on the front of all other phones is also guaranteed to break?

HTC don't have a great record in releasing updates for hardware when they are more than 12 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

There are a lot of reports of the glass on the back breaking. Have a Google or look on XDA.

There are a lot of reports of the glass on the back breaking. Have a Google or look on XDA.

I checked my own instead of reading the usual over exaggerations and after 5 weeks usage not a scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

There's no need to prove this. Look at every single iPhone 4/4S owner.

Id pick the S3 anyway. Its a great phone.

OK I think I've decided on the S3... the phones coming down the line are going to annoy me either way but maybe I can sell and move on earlier than I have managed with my DHD.

• Advertisement

then a crafty Xperia Z came on the sceen and I'm back to square 1.

Advertisement