Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David McRedmond - Newstalk - New DSL

Options
  • 15-12-2003 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

Eircoms' David McRedmond (sorry, didn't catch his title) has just been on Newstalk 106.

While he didn't appear to have much of a clue as to what broadband was actually used for he did mention twice that there would be "new products and prices" on broadband in February.

Is this old news?
    What are the rumoured changes?

tribble

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by tribble
    Eircoms' David McRedmond (sorry, didn't catch his title) has just been on Newstalk 106.

While he didn't appear to have much of a clue as to what broadband was actually used for he did mention twice that there would be "new products and prices" on broadband in February.

Is this old news?
    What are the rumoured changes?

Not unexpected, Eircom seem to reduce their prices every March (it was March last year that it went from e110 to e55). Given that they have been allowed to extend their special offer (free install, modem and first months rental) until end of February, it all fits.

I expect Eircom will reduce their per port wholesale charge. This will probably allow for retail prices of between e35 - e40. I'd also expect Eircom to raise their Cap to 8GB.

Eircom will probably have no choice on the matter, if they don't do it, then I'd say Dermot Ahern will make a directive that they must do it. A case of jump or be pushed.

Plus expect to hear lots of noise about major rollout, aren't we great, blah de blah!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by bk Not unexpected, Eircom seem to reduce their prices every March
    Drop their prices? That's when they announce the increases in the compulsory part of your bill (Line Rental). You can switch every other part of your telecommunications service to some other operator, but there's no competition in the line rental market, so it's been increased 15% this year, and will probably go up another €3-€5 next March.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

they could be giving DSL lines away for all the good it will do the majority of the country that can't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

they could be giving DSL lines away for all the good it will do the majority of the country that can't get it.

Thats majority by geographic area, not majority by population...

For those of us living in "teh big shmoke" this point is inconsequential.

tribble

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I live in the big smoke as you put it and have no access to any type of broadband and I'm sure there are a lot in the big smoke in similar situations. Also there is the case that even people connected to an upgraded exchange can't get it due to shoddy copper so I'd doubt very much that the majority of Ireland will have access to DSL in the near future, nevermind 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mrbloo

I live in Dublin 2 and I can't get broadband, so eircom can yap all they like. UNtil they upgrade my exchange, or give me a straight answer about which exchange I'm on, it's all moot to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dieselfreak

Yep same here 2

Live in clondalkin... very very populated area...

And NO xDSL.... (newlandsX exchange)

An lets face it, I may well end up in the same situtation as Shinzon, even if the Exchange is upgraded... (im like 1/2mile from the exchange)

I really would love to see change here soon.. but fear that like most things companies bottom line, will delay it. they will fail to spot new opertunities in other areas and try to keep the cash cow they have at present.

I hope im wrong though.

D

Advertisement