Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINTER EXAMS REMAIN PRE-CHRISTMAS FOR 2014/15

Options
  • 24-04-2014 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭

Howye

They're thinking of moving exams to after Christmas next year. Nobody wants that. We can at least annoy the **** out of the college to make them keep it.

The Student Union are looking for any feedback (they want it kept as is) so if you want to make your feelings known send an email to supresident@gmit.ie

If you weren't here before when exams were in January it was a disaster. Weather was awful, little to no time to study for exams as people had to work or head back home and your Christmas is ruined.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

Here's hoping that this jig is sorted out; great annoyance to have (hopefully?) post-Xmas exams ahead next year.. Not the greatest PR a colloge can do regarding prospective students?

*"(Hopefully?)", as I'm still a prospective mature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's done elsewhere but it's a massive inconvenience. Even if there's no exams in December there's still usually 5 CA's on the last week anyways. Only benefit would be that Exams are stretched out longer than current Christmas schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Hi,

Does anyone know if the exams after Christmas are going to be happening? It's such a bad idea :(

Good news folks. They didn't move exams to after Christmas. So week before Christmas again next semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

Good news folks. They didn't move exams to after Christmas. So week before Christmas again next semester.

First semester results are always worse than 2nd and are worse since exams before Cmas.

• Advertisement

I've only taken exams after Christmas once but I found there to be a bit of a difference in results as I did better pre-Christmas than after. Even just factoring in Winter the weather was horrendous in January and you can't really enjoy Christmas either. The break after the January exams was top class though so it evened out.

That said though you have advanced warning and there's plenty of time from September onwards. I've been told next year I'll have 5 exams pre-Christmas so there's definitely enough warning in fairness to the college and they did cater to the masses on this occasion.

Advertisement