Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polar rs200 watch eating batteries

Options
  • 18-04-2014 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

Tried Google and while it doesn't seem to be too uncommon a problem I couldn't find any real solutions.

The watch which is a couple of years old has started to eat batteries, it has taken three now in the space of a month or two. First replacement lasted a couple of weeks and second less than a week and the third I keep an eye on and again less than a week. After fitting the second battery I thought a button might have been pressed on constantly. No problem that I could see anyway.

I daren't fit another one without trying some solutions first.

So has anyone had similar problems with their polar watches or heard of this and more importantly any cures.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Dont use the cheap €2 shop type batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Are you replacing them yourself or sending them back to Polar?

If Polar get onto them. If doing it yourself you possibly are shorting across the battery somehow. Most RS200 batteries last a minimum of a year with normal usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

AKW wrote: »
    Are you replacing them yourself or sending them back to Polar?

If Polar get onto them. If doing it yourself you possibly are shorting across the battery somehow. Most RS200 batteries last a minimum of a year with normal usage.

Replacing them myself and using name brands Ger. I had seen something about shorting them out, will attempt to see if I can find pictures of the inside and see if I've done something wrong.
    Much appreciated folks, on a side note considering they no longer make the rs200 any recommendations on a replacement watch. Seeing as I will still have a working strap can it be used with another watch or are they tied to the original watch.

You can use the strap with other watches as long as they are of the 5mhz variety. Your HR strap will not work with any of the WIND based transmitter or watches. Depending on what you are using the watch for, simple HR tracking you could use the FT range of watches, if you want to go GPS then you are better to go whole hog and upgrade to the new range of RC3 / RC3 GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Well it seems I was rather foolish, so I'll post up my error in the knowledge that others who google the same problem I had, might see this thread.

In replacing the battery (the first time) of the watch myself, I used the second battery in a two pack I had gotten to replace the battery in the heart rate transmitter. This battery was a CR 2025 where as the battery for the watch itself is a CR 2032, D'oh :o.

So when the CR 2025 discharged so quickly (different size), I bought another two pack of 2025's as I assumed wrongly that these were the batteries required; as it was in the watch, double D'oh.

It was only when reading a PDF copy of the watches manual online that I copped the fact that there are two different types of batteries as in CR 2025's for the transmitter and CR 2032's for the watch.

So Mod's might ye close the thread and might ye edit the title for my original post in the hopes that others who fit the wrong battery :o might learn from my error. Edit it to "....watch eating (wrong type) batteries".

• Advertisement

Such a common mistake with small electronics and I never thought of asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I do remember DCRainmaker raging about this issue a while ago, though I cannot remember if it was Polar or a different manufacturer.

There should be no reason to use different batteries for the watch and the HR strap, yet it does happen. You do wonder if the teams who design those things don't talk to each other!

I do remember DCRainmaker raging about this issue a while ago, though I cannot remember if it was Polar or a different manufacturer.

There should be no reason to use different batteries for the watch and the HR strap, yet it does happen. You do wonder if the teams who design those things don't talk to each other!

Ah but then the battery manufacturers would be giving out about having loads of left over batteries ;)

Advertisement