Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for Final Year Project

Options
  • 10-04-2014 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Just wondering what ideas ye might have for a Final Year Project for a UL Mobile Communications and Security (essentially Computer Science with a bit of electronics and more security) student...

Have any of you done your projects on something security-based in the past?

My strong points skill-wise would be Linux, Java, JavaEE+PostgreSQL, web-based stuff (PHP+MySQL) and Android development. Apart from those I have knowledge of cryptography (encryption, authentication, integrity, non-repudiation, hashing, key-management etc.), a bit of C, a small bit of Assembly and de-compilation, and some digital electronics.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭industrialhorse

How about a project on controlling home lights, switches, central heating settings, alarm etc via a secure mobile app that is easy to use for people of all ages?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

How about a project on controlling home lights, switches, central heating settings, alarm etc via a secure mobile app that is easy to use for people of all ages?

Yep, that's not a bad idea. Only thing is I'd imagine it would be difficult enough to prototype this.

I mean, something like a Rasberry Pi could be used as the control unit in the house, which communicates with the app, but then actually connecting that to the lights, switches, heating, alarms and so on would be quite difficult and probably fairly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭industrialhorse

Best of luck with whatever project you decide to follow through with:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

If your strengths include Android development here is an idea for you:
    Devise an improvement on the Android app security model that would permit an app to request a set of permissions but allow the user to selectively permit or deny those permissions. Implement some prototype or proof-of-concept of this improved security model.

So for example I think it would be great to be able to install a twitter app and give it permission to access the Internet but deny it permission to access location data or the SMS feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Javan wrote: »
    If your strengths include Android development here is an idea for you:
    Devise an improvement on the Android app security model that would permit an app to request a set of permissions but allow the user to selectively permit or deny those permissions. Implement some prototype or proof-of-concept of this improved security model.

So for example I think it would be great to be able to install a twitter app and give it permission to access the Internet but deny it permission to access location data or the SMS feed.
    I quite like this actually. Facebook recently enough made this change, where you can choose to grant specific permissions and ignore others.

• Advertisement
Advertisement