Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes?

Options
  • 06-04-2014 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Had my gait analyis done up in Amphibian King a few years ago where I was diagnosed as neutral. Got a pair of New Balance 760's which I absolutely loved and never had any issues with whatsoever. They don't make them anymore and I'm wondering what shoe would be suited best to me now. I got a pair of Asics Cumulus 15's before Christmas, and while they're fine I think Asics runners in general seem to have too much padding for me as every one of my toes seems to end up black after a sustained period of running.

So, I was just wondering if anyone ever encountered similar experiences and what brand/range of shoe they'd recommend. I'm probably going to buy another pair this week and thought I'd take on board the wisdom of this forum first.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Are you sure you are neutral? Dr Google says the 760 was a stability shoe...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

menoscemo wrote: »
    Are you sure you are neutral? Dr Google says the 760 was a stability shoe...

They told me I was neutral. I'm not sure I had the 760's tbh. I'll have to check when I go home. I've just been googling pictures on the internet and they look the most recognisable :P

yaboya1 wrote: »
    They told me I was neutral. I'm not sure I had the 760's tbh. I'll have to check when I go home. I've just been googling pictures on the internet and they look the most recognisable :P

The reason I asked is cos when I read the thread I assumed you had the same NB as me (1080). Like yourself I don't know the numbers so I had to go and check.
    If so I have a pair I have barely used depending on your size...

Anyway if you are neutral and don't have much of an injury history the world is your oyster for shoes. Have you tried any lightweight trainiers or racers? Would do wonders for your 5k times if used to clunky shoes.

The reason I asked is cos when I read the thread I assumed you had the same NB as me (1080). Like yourself I don't know the numbers so I had to go and check.
    If so I have a pair I have barely used depending on your size...

Anyway if you are neutral and don't have much of an injury history the world is your oyster for shoes. Have you tried any lightweight trainiers or racers? Would do wonders for your 5k times if used to clunky shoes.

As with most running related things, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff. I will check the number of the New Balance when I go home. I've never tried lightweight trainers/flats etc.
    I've actually only had three pairs of running shoes since I started running. I ran Dublin in a pair of Asics Kayanos that I got as a birthday present after I took up running. I'm not sure I could even walk in them now, so I'm not sure how I completed a marathon (and a training cycle) in them. The guy in Amphibian King couldn't believe it when I told him either.
    I then wore the New Balance for any running I did for the next 2-3 years and only recently got the Asics Cumulus 15s. As I say, none of them have caused me pain or injury, but at the moment after a few sessions my toenails are falling off or turning black. I'm used to this happening to one or two of them but not the whole lot, so I have to blame the Asics as it didn't happen with the New Balance. I'm a size 11.

I'm liking the look of the New Balance 770v3. I think they'll suit me. Might order a pair now.

So I just checked my old runners and they are 1064's which have now been replaced by 1080's.
    Every time you pull me up on anything, you turn out to be right.
    Are you psychic or something?? :P

• Advertisement

So I just checked my old runners and they are 1064's which have now been replaced by 1080's.
    Every time you pull me up on anything, you turn out to be right.
    Are you psychic or something?? :P

Haha!!
    So what size are you? I have a pair of 1080's 8.5uk you an have if you want

Haha!!
    So what size are you? I have a pair of 1080's 8.5uk you an have if you want

I'm an 11 unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Yaboya, you're losing the nails cos the shape or size of the toebox is wrong for the mileage that you are doing. Also worth checking out that the fabric in your shoes is not tightening up due to washing which also puts pressure on the nail bed.

AKW wrote: »
    Yaboya, you're losing the nails cos the shape or size of the toebox is wrong for the mileage that you are doing. Also worth checking out that the fabric in your shoes is not tightening up due to washing which also puts pressure on the nail bed.

Ok. What would you suggest?

p.s. There's no damage being done from washing as I've never done that. Don't ever smell my shoes!!

Yaboya, you're losing the nails cos the shape or size of the toebox is wrong for the mileage that you are doing. Also worth checking out that the fabric in your socks is not tightening up due to washing which also puts pressure on the nail bed.

Sorry FMP

• Advertisement

Ok. What would you suggest?

p.s. There's no damage being done from washing as I've never done that. Don't ever smell my shoes!!

Sorry my fault that should have been 'socks' not shoe fabric. :o

1080 is a different beast to the 1064. More 'harmonious' on the foot, lighter, more flexible that the 1064. Always worth checking them out, try them on. As mentioned above the world is your oyster when you're a neutral.

Sorry my fault that should have been 'socks' not shoe fabric. :o

1080 is a different beast to the 1064. More 'harmonious' on the foot, lighter, more flexible that the 1064. Always worth checking them out, try them on. As mentioned above the world is your oyster when you're a neutral.

Thanks. That sounds great, especially since the 1064s never gave me any problems. It's the Asics that tear my feet to shreds.

Yaboya, what I often do is just pick up what's on special in TK Maxx or going on the cheap in sport shops. Once you can be sure they are a neutral shoe (not got any stabilizing mechanisms in the sole) they should be ok.
    Once you haven't spent too much on them it's no big loss if you don't like them but you might find you really like some of the shoes on offer. There is no harm having a few different types of shoe and rotating them for different runs

Failing that go back to AK and try on a few different pais and see what you like best.

Yaboya, what I often do is just pick up what's on special in TK Maxx or going on the cheap in sport shops. Once you can be sure they are a neutral shoe (not got any stabilizing mechanisms in the sole) they should be ok.
    Once you haven't spent too much on them it's no big loss if you don't like them but you might find you really like some of the shoes on offer. There is no harm having a few different types of shoe and rotating them for different runs

Failing that go back to AK and try on a few different pais and see what you like best.

That sounds like a plan.
    In the meantime I've gone and ordered a pair of 770v3'S before I got home last night.
    Are they no good to me?

Would I be right in thinking New Balance 480's, 580's & 780's would be better suited to me?

That sounds like a plan.
    In the meantime I've gone and ordered a pair of 770v3'S before I got home last night.
    Are they no good to me?

Don't know but if you are neutral, stability shoes will likely injure you (in my exerience).
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/ is a handy website for checking the type of shoe before you buy them.

Don't know but if you are neutral, stability shoes will likely injure you (in my exerience).
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/ is a handy website for checking the type of shoe before you buy them.

Yeah, pretty sure I am based on what I've been wearing, my gait analysis and what's been said here. Do you think any sports shops would let me trade in the 770s for a more suitable shoe?

Advertisement