Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclock newbie

Options
  • 13-01-2011 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey guys I have just built a pc to the following spec:

Intel i5 750 chip,
    Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 mother board,
    SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY Radeon HD 5850 Vapor-X OC-2 GB Express 2.0 Graphics card,
    40GB Intel X25-V SATA Solid State Drive,
    4GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Ripjaw series,
    1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 SATA2 3.5" Hard Drive,
    THERMALTAKE FRIO CLP0564 CPU Cooler,
    Sony AD-7260S DVD Writer drive,
    OCZ 700W StealthXStream 2 Power Supply,
    Cooler Master HAF 932 PC Tower Case,

My Gigabyte motherboard has a feature to overclock.
    It gives me 3 options faster, turbo and twin turbo.

Stock is 2.6 it think, faster is 2.8, turbo is 3.0 and twin turbo is 3.8.

What do you guys think I would get to safely with the above spec?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

The auto overclocking profiles are actually pretty good for that board. I'd go with the turbo 3ghz first, keep an eye on the temps while you are in games. If you dont see it go much about 60c after a good session you will be fine to go up to the twin turbo. But when you do this you really need to keep an eye on the temps if they spike to 80c+ then i'd consider turning it back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

The auto overclocking profiles are actually pretty good for that board. I'd go with the turbo 3ghz first, keep an eye on the temps while you are in games. If you dont see it go much about 60c after a good session you will be fine to go up to the twin turbo. But when you do this you really need to keep an eye on the temps if they spike to 80c+ then i'd consider turning it back down.

I have to disagree about using auto overclocking feature tbh (sorry Ryan :o )
    I have seen them overvolt settings and can make the system run hotter.

I would highly reccomend reading some guides before you start overclocking.
    There are plenty of them on the net.This way you will learn what the different settings do.

Each to their own :) I was mearly thinking that since the OP is new to overclocking the profiles might be good for him. Granted they do over volt (which is why i mentioned keeping an eye on the cpu temps) Overclocking back in the day of just increasing the multiplyer and front side bus and loosenign the memory timings are long gone. These days overclocking really has become an art. If i hadn't spent the last 10 or so years overclocking and then only now looked at a bios i'd walk away scracthing my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

Tnx guys I set it to turbo last night. But your right I will have to read into it better.

Where can I view temps or is there a application I can download that tells me?

Also can your direct me towards a good site for overclocking info?

Tnx Paul.;)

There are quite a few you can use. Speed fan is a good one but there are literally hundreds. Also, if you pop in your motherboard driver CD you should see a tools section, there is usually some kind of monitoring software in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

funnyclub wrote: »
    Tnx guys I set it to turbo last night. But your right I will have to read into it better.

Where can I view temps or is there a application I can download that tells me?

Also can your direct me towards a good site for overclocking info?

Tnx Paul.;)

The best to use imo are,

HwMonitor for info on volts and temps of mobo/vreg/etc

Coretemp or realtemp for cpu cores which is more important the the actual reading of cpu temp you get from bios and other utilities.
    Reason for this is the core temps are a good 10c15c hotter than cpu temp so its best to watch them.

For guides i would say google your cpu and mobo combo and see with what you come up with as there are so many guides out there.

If you get stuck post back and i'm sure myself or the good folk here will help you out.

Another option is to head over to youtube. Lots of tutorials there on overclocking. I always find it easier to hear someone talking about it rather then reading it.

Ok guys I went into my bios and adjusted the bus clock slightly. I then ran prime95 and this is my results let me know if ya think its ok.

cpu.png

CoreTemp-Scr.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I'd be happy with those figures. As long as you're not hitting 64/65 you should be fine.

Of course we are experiencing some cold weather at the moment so you can expect those margins to shrink significantly as the summer approaches.

I think the best strategy is to wait until you need the performance. If you're just using the machine for gaming and surfing you should be ok with a slight overclock.
    When the industry starts to demand higher speeds you'll know you have the headroom but for now there's no point in wasting power and putting your lovely new chip under any unnecessary stress.

You really won't notice any difference in window's performance or boot times as your HDD will almost certainly be the limiting factor at those speeds.

Of course if you're doing video editing or 3d design you will benefit from a high overclock right away.

If you're planning on holding on to this machine for a few years you'll have plenty of time in the future to torture every last Hz out of it.

Just mu 2 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Anything up and around 70c in prime95 on full load should be fine for your chip imo, i got more or less the same one (760)

In reality even playing the most demanding game your temps will be far cooler than what prime95 shows. Imo its a program to test stability rather than real time temps

I`v had to disable speedstep/EIST lately cause it was causing random blue screens, been fine since. Mine is permantly overclocked to 3.8 at the moment

• Advertisement

I have only really changed the bus clock is there anything else I should change as well?

I have since disabled turbo boost and set the multiplier to 20 and bus clock is set to 180 and getting a figure of 3.6ghz. I have my voltage set to auto through the mobo and I am getting a reading of 1.34v for vore voltage. Is this too high?

Also do I need to reduce the multiplier for my ram. I have it set to auto and I was getting 1800mhz I reduced the multiplier to 8x and I am now getting a reading of 1440mhz. My ram is 4GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Ripjaw series. Should I leave it as is now or put it back to 1800mhz?

Dont think you should leave it on auto, also 1.3 + is pretty high for a 3.6 overclock, at least on my chip.

Try set the voltage manually and test it with prime95 for a few hours to check its stability. Prime will return errors found or you`ll encounter blue screens.

You`ll see what other people are using as there voltage settings here for a 3.6 overclock http://www.google.ie/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=i5+750+at+3.6+voltage&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=2e082345501d6c60

nuxxx wrote: »
    Dont think you should leave it on auto, also 1.3 + is pretty high for a 3.6 overclock, at least on my chip.

Try set the voltage manually and test it with prime95 for a few hours to check its stability. Prime will return errors found or you`ll encounter blue screens.

You`ll see what other people are using as there voltage settings here for a 3.6 overclock http://www.google.ie/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=i5+750+at+3.6+voltage&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=2e082345501d6c60

I tried adjusting the voltage setting to similar of others I have seen online but my computer will not boot up properly.:confused:

Load defaults from the bios if thats the case

I think you should really do alot of googling before adjusting certain settings, I did when I got my pc and now im pretty comfortable with changing stuff

Everychip is different aswell, a certain voltage may be stable on one chip but not another

Load defaults from the bios if thats the case

I think you should really do alot of googling before adjusting certain settings, I did when I got my pc and now im pretty comfortable with changing stuff

Everychip is different aswell, a certain voltage may be stable on one chip but not another

It runs fine with the higher voltage max temps I am getting is 65 degrees.

It runs fine with the higher voltage max temps I am getting is 65 degrees.

What voltage are you using? Im assuming you took it off auto

What voltage are you using? Im assuming you took it off auto

I put it back to auto as I tried a few different settings from 1.25 up and on the lower ones it booted up but when I ran prime95 instead of the 4 cores going to 100 percent only 2 or 3 were and on the lower voltage settings ie1.25 when I was running prime and tried to open web browser the computer shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I put it back to auto as I tried a few different settings from 1.25 up and on the lower ones it booted up but when I ran prime95 instead of the 4 cores going to 100 percent only 2 or 3 were and on the lower voltage settings ie1.25 when I was running prime and tried to open web browser the computer shut down.

Try bump your VTT up a notch and see if that helps. Usually that irons out a lot of stability issues. You shouldn't need 1.3+, not for 3.6. You should be able to do that at around 1.25 or so. Hell, I'm doing 3.6 @ 1.25 on a 1366 i7 at the moment.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Try bump your VTT up a notch and see if that helps. Usually that irons out a lot of stability issues. You shouldn't need 1.3+, not for 3.6. You should be able to do that at around 1.25 or so. Hell, I'm doing 3.6 @ 1.25 on a 1366 i7 at the moment.

Have you got some nasty Vdroop? With my own 950 im hitting 4.6ghz on 1.22, but thats on water.

• Advertisement

Have you got some nasty Vdroop? With my own 950 im hitting 4.6ghz on 1.22, but thats on water.

With vdroop I'm getting about 1.23. I just ordered an RX360, MCP655, Rasa, 580 loop though, so I'll let you know if water helps. :)

Sounds nice. Should think about a second loop for the gpu. Starts getting a little expensive, and kinda hard to fit it all in, unless you have a huge case.

Sounds nice. Should think about a second loop for the gpu. Starts getting a little expensive, and kinda hard to fit it all in, unless you have a huge case.

I've got enough space for two 360s internally and a 480 off the back. I'm looking to keep things in a single loop for the time being as it's only the one 580, and the 360 should be plenty for that.

Advertisement